Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-07-09 01:29:28

Island Girl

Debbie and I have super fantastic news

We are officially Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) free. We finally got our blood tests back today and every single chick we tested came back negative. One has been tested three times, one twice and the rest once. I am so relieved and I know Debbie is too. It has been a very long 11 months but by the grace of God we were able to accomplish this. We went through the trouble to roof our outdoor runs and Debbie even had new outdoor runs built as well as covered. We have a more strict biosecuity protocol and now we are off and running with our new flocks. Thanks for being our sounding boards throughout this :happycrowd"

XOX Monika

2015-07-09 01:29:28

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-07-09 02:04:38

Maggiesdad

Re: Debbie and I have super fantastic news

:thumbsup: :excited:

#3 2015-07-09 11:20:54

hollowridge

:jumping: So happy for you and Debbie :applause: Great job you did, with lots of hard work and choices.  Now you can enjoy your birds :congrats:

#4 2015-07-09 12:32:07

gubi
Website

:thumbsup:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2015-07-09 19:55:25

Flat Rock Farm

That is WONDERFUL news Monika!! :happycrowd" :congrats:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2015-07-09 20:43:46)

#6 2015-07-09 20:28:04

Shnookie

Congratulations!  :excited:  I hope you have good luck with your new hatch.

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#7 2015-07-30 18:12:41

Little Boy Blue
Website

That is great!!!  I got MS in my flock last Fall.  We culled about half of the flock in the first 2 months.  After that no one showed any signs.  In January we cull 2/3 of what we had left so that only the best of the breeding stock remained.  We experimented with treating the eggs both with antibiotic baths and with heat to incubate eggs from the remaining breeding stock.  In March we collected eggs for two weeks and set about half of them in one big hatch.  After the hatch we culled our flock and started over again with the chicks.  The 15 EO's that hatched from three hens and two cockerels all went to another breeder who was just getting into the breed.  We didn't find any one that we could work with to take out Breda Guldre and were going to set any of their eggs, but the Breda Chicks are the cutest thing in the world so when we still had room in the incubator put a dozen eggs in and have those with out grow out group.  We also didn't find anyone we could work with to take our marans.  We culled all the cockerels at 4 weeks, but still have a dozen pullets.  The idea was to get down to a one breed flock to simply the flock management and to be able to put more resources into improving our line.  The breed that we choose to keep was the Cream Legbars.  It was a hard choice and it came down to what breed we felt that we could do the most for.  We culled about 1/3 of the cockerels already but still have a dozen cockerels and two dozen pullets to rebuild our flock from.  They have not been blood tested, but so none of them have show any signs of MS and they were raised in an area that hasn't had chickens so we will hopeful be MS/MG free too.  It is a lot of work to clean up an MS/MG flock but after going through the process you know it is well worth it.

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

Adverts

Board footer