Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-04-24 23:00:27

Lisa

Here we go!

H'Lo All!

Looking for happy hatching vibes. Just loaded up the Sportsman - with a total of 135 eggs! :jumping:

Of those eggs, 59 are EO's. Representing the gorrias, we have 23 eggs. They are the result of lasts year's work - of the approximately 100 chicks hatched in 2014, this year's parents were the best five (one roo, 4 hens). Fingers crossed for an even better generation this year!

Representing the Red Cuckoos are 16 eggs from Duckdown Farm's Wilbur and his two ladies (originally from Gubi), and 20 eggs from the two wonder-hens recently acquired from Flat Rock Farm. Hen-dini decided that she was ok with the new digs, and stopped looking all over my house for a more appealing spot. She has not yet managed to work the locks in her coop (to my knowledge). She and her sister have really gotten down to business - they are 2 year old hens who both lay almost daily. I am proud to be preserving this excellent egg-laying gene in their offspring.

I am not certain of the identity of the father(s) of their chicks. There are two possible dads from Flatrock Farm (as I understand it, they were a real Santa-Claus pair - one naughty, and one nice), and one new fella that they met at my place. The new fella is from Micah and Kiah - who generously offered their number two rooster from the Elevator line. Although his name is not yet certain, Charming seems to be leading the list. He is polite, attentive, and gives away his treats. He also tends to hang out IN the nesting box when one of his two girls are laying. I'm not sure what he thinks he is doing (Lamaze breathing coach perhaps?), but he wants them to know that he is really IN this thing with them.

Also in the 'bator are Ameraucanas, seramas and two of Helen's fun "Mystery Eggs". Their parents are her handsome blue EE rooster and two hens that lay dark eggs like their Maran dad, as often as their ISA red moms. If they are girls, they should lay stunning olive eggs.

Fingers crossed for a good hatch in 3 weeks! :thumbsup:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2015-04-24 23:00:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-04-25 02:15:39

gubi
Website

Re: Here we go!

good luck!  I have my 2nd hatch of the year going so far!  I took 31 chicks out of the hova so far, 19 more eggs in there still.  lots of yellow chicks between the EO's and the EE's that are sired by the Splash bluewheaten cockerels.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2015-04-25 10:54:26

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Good luck!  We expect to see pictures of the fuzzy butts.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#4 2015-04-25 14:52:38

Lisa

Congrats Gubi!

Hope our hatch is as good as yours!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#5 2015-04-25 22:59:32

Flat Rock Farm

Oh how exciting Lisa!! :excited:

Well the girls from me one was in with Gubi's boy and the other was in with Micah & Kiah's boy but still could have offspring from Nasty Boy in them when you got them.  He did throw 2 beautiful pullets with the eggs I hatch before he got re-homed.

Keep us updated!! :thumbs:

#6 2015-04-26 12:17:14

hollowridge

:jumping:  Good Luck Lisa,

I love the little chicks, ours are now 9 weeks and are getting into that terrible teen stage!!:lol:

#7 2015-04-26 13:46:41

poplar girl
Administrator

The BEST of hatching vibes to you Lisa.

I have not hatched as many this year as last but I am happy with the results so far, I finally posted a few pictures. I have focused mostly on the Red Cuckoo this year as I really want to increase my breeding flock of that variety. There will also be one hatch of Red Cuckoo roosters to Red hens, I am thinking I might keep a nice heterozygous cockerel if I get one, they are SO pretty.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2015-04-26 22:32:54

Island Girl

Sometimes three weeks seems like a long time to wait. :cheer:

XOX Monika

#9 2015-04-27 00:58:16

gubi
Website

I'm sure it will be better!  You two ladies seem to have it figured out how to get consistent great hatches.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2015-04-27 11:18:09

poplar girl
Administrator

Will this be THE Basque hatch of the year Lisa or will you set more?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2015-07-05 11:43:07

Flat Rock Farm

Hey Lisa, how's the hatching going?? =D

Adverts

Board footer