Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-06-15 11:31:20

poplar girl
Administrator

Considering not continuing to breed red (gorria) Basques

I have been giving this quite a lot of thought. The past few years I have been trying to breed two varieties of EO, the red cuckoo and the red.  They should just be one gene apart really with the difference being one has the sex linked baring gene. I have crossed the two colors a few times but find that I still have to keep almost 2x the birds to breed both colors.

For the first time this year I am really happy with the red cuckoo offspring. I am not impressed at all with the red this year although I hatched fewer. So I've been thinking of only continuing to breed the red cuckoo. I could then keep more of them and hopefully with a bigger breeding flock of one color move that variety along more successfully.

But EOs are so rare, the red even rarer than the cuckoo. Is it wrong to let one variety go? Living where I do i doubt anyone will want the current birds for their breeding flock.

Any thoughts?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2015-06-15 11:31:20

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-06-15 20:35:58

Island Girl

Re: Considering not continuing to breed red (gorria) Basques

I have done this myself and now only have red cuckoo, can I still call them Maraduna :P and I have been sorry ever since. I miss the Gorria and quite honestly I actually prefer the Gorria over the Maraduna but I never had an appropriate rooster to breed and it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. BUT then there is that whole space issue ... hmmmm I think now knowing what I do know I would go back to having both varieties. I don't think this is helping you any is it? If I had the space I would do the Millies too because they are actually my favorite of all. Guess I will see what this years guys and gals will look like.

XOX Monika

#3 2015-06-15 23:22:46

Flat Rock Farm

Wow hard decision as you say they are rarer than the red cuckoo.  Maybe you could fine a person that would be willing to carry on were you left off with them.  You maybe would have more suitable contacts being part of  Rare Breeds Canada??? :huh:
I really don't think they should be put to the wayside, just my 2 cents???

#4 2015-06-15 23:42:09

poplar girl
Administrator

I could try to rehome them I suppose Paula. Or at least a few that might be breeding quality and not too old. My oldest EO is a gorria hen, now 6 :) it would be nice to find an interested breeder but I think they would need to either cross with red cuckoo or get some gorria from someone else to help combate inbreeding.

IG as you say, I don't want to regret whatever decision I make later....

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2015-06-16 00:10:52

gubi
Website

I would keep your best 2 trios back.  Put them in your layer/rooster pen.  Then hatch a few replacements every few years just to keep them going.  That way if you ever decide to keep going with the gorria you still have a start.  Even if you rehome them to a breeder who is to say they will continue breeding them in a year or two.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2015-06-16 04:35:51

Island Girl

Before you make that final decision Michelle, maybe I should buy some eggs from you (if you are selling eggs) so that I can get the Gorria back into my flock.

XOX Monika

#7 2015-06-16 12:29:03

poplar girl
Administrator

gubi wrote:

I would keep your best 2 trios back.  Put them in your layer/rooster pen.  Then hatch a few replacements every few years just to keep them going.  That way if you ever decide to keep going with the gorria you still have a start.  Even if you rehome them to a breeder who is to say they will continue breeding them in a year or two.

I was thinking along those lines but I hate keeping roosters around just for a handful of chicks. Go big or go home!

The genetics are narrow on my gorria, really I need to cross with the red cuckoo and get some genetic diversity going and I tried a couple crosses this year. I thought about keeping a heterozygous rooster but am not really that impressed with any I hatched this year. And the maradunna look so nice this year...I want to fill every available space with them!

I think I am just disheartened with the results of my gorria breeding this year. My best rooster, Lucky, was infertile in his second breeding season so no chicks from him and several of my pullets are sisters to the other cockerel so no one to breed them to. One beautiful pullet of different bloodlines never laid an egg in the 40 days she was in the breeding pen, that equals a non breeding quality bird in my eyes. Another "gorria" (I would swear she is!) also from a different line threw heterozygous roosters when mated with a gorria rooster so obviously she is just a way too dark red cuckoo. And from two matings between gorria pullets and maradunna cockerels I have several chicks with curled toes from one mating and some really strange funky splash colored chicks in the other! I'm not sure I have any I want to keep!

Sigh. I will look again at the chicks. Maybe my expectations are too high. Last year was a bad maradunna year so maybe I just need to get through this, keep my best gorria and try again next year. :banginghead:

#8 2015-06-16 12:29:31

poplar girl
Administrator

Island Girl wrote:

Before you make that final decision Michelle, maybe I should buy some eggs from you (if you are selling eggs) so that I can get the Gorria back into my flock.

XOX Monika

Monika I am not sure eggs would be worth while, see the above rant. I would hate to have you spend money on shipping and end up with a lot of culls...

#9 2015-06-16 17:00:41

Island Girl

It can be so very frustrating for sure! The red cuckoo rooster I bred this year before his very untimely demise was beautiful ... but the offspring ... not so much. I am so bummed out, there doesn't seem to be a decent replacement roo in the lot of them. The hens appear to be very nice so far but they are only on average 9ish weeks old. I need to be more patient with all of them and give the boys a little more time to color up their legs and grow those combs out. The feather color seems so light too :shock: how did that happen?

Does anyone else have Gorria? Or even awesome Red Cuckoo boys whose eggs I should be incubating?

XOX Monika

XOX Monika

#10 2015-06-17 00:41:33

gubi
Website

I found with the red cuckoo that it is much harder to get a good male then a female too.  PG you know what that means you will just have to built a bigger barn or at least make more room for chickens "go big or go home!"  I have found a few of mine that have curled toes in my grow out pens.  This is after I culled them for that at hatch!  One cockerel has toes curled out!  I wonder if I mate an out with an in curl I would get straight toes!  I'm frustrated with my Spitz a bit too this year.  After all these years of selecting for the proper Spitz haube I still get a number of pullets with polish type crests.  But we knew when we choose our breeds that we have many challenges ahead of us and when I look back at the first few hatches we have come a long way!
As for red Basques.  Lisa as well as Micah used to have them not sure if they still do and I know Gwen (skarabrea) sells hatching eggs.  I would at least keep some hens back.  I would not give up on them completely.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#11 2015-06-17 00:50:13

Susan
Administrator

I'm with the others- I hope you soldier on! If anyone can do it, it's you PG.

#12 2015-06-17 13:18:56

poplar girl
Administrator

Thanks everyone. As much as anything I just needed to share and I guess know that I all of use face challenges and good years and discouraging years.  Still though I need to make a decision and want to know that I have put the right amount of thought into it ahead of time.

There are two decent gorria pullets out there from this year's hatch.  No nice cockerels which is a concern as who knows if my one remaining gorria rooster will end up being I fertile next spring! So I will need to decide whether to keep him or not, the girls are less of a difficult decision.

I have to share with you some of this year's hatch pictures. I am so excited by some of the red cuckoo!! Gubi I have a few very nice little cockerels in the eggs Flat Rock Farm sent which I think contain some genetics from your breeding efforts. I will endeavour to take pictures today.

Adverts

Board footer