Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-05-19 00:52:14

Shnookie

White paste on butt feathers

So, now on top of everything else, my chickens all have mites.  Some are infested worse than others.  I have treated them once, but it didn't get rid of all of them.  Northern fowl mites, I believe.  In the descriptions I read for mites, they talk about dark crusty stuff near the vent.  Mine don't really have that, but some have a white pasty substance on their butt feathers.  Is this from mites or am I dealing with something else?

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

2015-05-19 00:52:14

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-05-19 03:02:25

Island Girl

Re: White paste on butt feathers

I think the white pasty stuff is because they are not feeling so good because of the mites. Its runny poop stuck to their feathers, I think. What are you using to treat them? I use frontline spray, nothing has been as effective as that. They might need some extra nourishment while they are going through this. Yogurt or cooked oatmeal is always good to help settle down their tummies. Maybe someone else will have some good ideas for you.

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2015-05-19 03:03:00)

#3 2015-05-19 19:54:45

Shnookie

I treated them with Carbaryl dusting powder.  It says to use a certain amount to dust each chicken, and for a specific amount to dust the bedding, but I haven't found an easy way to measure it out (it comes in a big shaker can), so I tried not to overdose them.  It says they can be retreated in 4 weeks.  That seems like a long time to me.  I found a document on the Kansas State University website that recommends dusting them with half the amount, then dusting them again in 30 minutes with the rest.  That sounds like a good idea.  I will try it when I retreat them. 

They are getting the extra eggs, scrambled as a treat, a bit of fresh alfalfa and grass cut up every few days, a few rolled oats in the morning (it's still going below 0 a lot) and a bit of corn before bed.  I've added a little cider vinegar to the water, and they get Electrolytes Plus in the water daily.  Maybe they are getting too many things to eat.  The good news is that they are improving.  Some were very anemic.

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#4 2015-05-20 11:03:22

Flat Rock Farm

I use the same dusting powder as you do Shnookie, it works well.   I can't seem to get my hands on any Frontline spray. 

Gosh I hate those crawly nasty things, your poor girls.  Am glad they are improving :thumbsup:

#5 2015-05-20 11:15:26

poplar girl
Administrator

Frontline is of course not registered for use on poultry but it works very well on mites, I have found much better than the powders and is easier to apply. It is expensive however.

You can purchase it and have it shipped from Canada Vet: http://www.canadavet.com/Frontline-Spray-P375C212.aspx

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2015-05-21 01:24:53

Shnookie

FRF how do you measure the dose?  I don't have the powder in the house but I think it said to use 4.5 grams per chicken.  One thing I did do, is put some powder in a plastic squeeze bottle. I can use the tip of it to part the feathers then puff in the powder, but I didn't measure how much I used. The girls are all in pens with sand floors, so they are doing better than the boys.  I sprinkled some of the powder in the sand and they dust in it every day.  In those pens I didn't put any on the birds.  I'll have to recheck them when I treat the rest.  The roosters have scabs and cracks on their combs and I see mites walking on their water dishes and sometimes on their legs.  I put some powder in their straw bedding, and dusted them, but it likely wasn't enough.  I was hoping to put them in with the girls for breeding, but this mite :funny: be hard to clear up.  Thanks for the answers.

Poplar girl, how do you use the Frontline?  Do you only spray it near the vent?

#7 2015-05-21 02:04:18

Flat Rock Farm

Nice pun there Shnookie!! :funny:

I don't measure, I just turn them upside down so that I can get under their wings and give them a poof, same goes for around their vent.

#8 2015-05-21 11:19:11

poplar girl
Administrator

Shnookie wrote:

Poplar girl, how do you use the Frontline?  Do you only spray it near the vent?

I spray (6-8 squirts per adult bird) on the exposed skin under the wing. It has upto a 4 weeks residual so I apply again in 3-4 weeks since the mite eggs can survive that long without a host. A mite has never survived that regime where as with the powders I find they often come back once i stop applying the powder because a few have survived. Also breathing in the dust from the powders makes me worry about my health and the birds.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer