Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-05-12 02:15:27

poplar girl
Administrator

Observations

We all know that getting to the point of having uniform Basques is a work in progress. It will take a time to get to the point of the majority of chicks being to the standard and good examples of the breed.

I have been reflecting on successes and failures of my own breeding the past few years. Certainly I have not seen the advancement towards the perfect Basque flock as fast as I would like.

But on a positive note, so far this year, here are some successes:

- No crooked toes. At one point a few years ago it was pretty common for juveniles to develop crooked toes later on.
- no feather stubs. I am sure that trait will pop up but again it was common in my flock a few years ago.
- no wry neck. This was also common and I think is a combo of environment and genetics.
- very few side sprigs.
- way less colour variation. They aren't perfect but much closer!
- some seemingly fast growers, need more time to see how big they get

And they still have ALL the friendliness and curiousity that an EO should!

So maybe progess is being made!

How is everyone else viewing their Basque breeding efforts so far?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2015-05-12 02:15:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-05-12 13:42:47

hollowridge

Re: Observations

So good to hear how you are doing Popular Girl.
I hear what you are saying on the slowness of our progress towards Standard.  Really wish we could fix it over night!  :funny:
As for us:
We have never had feather stubs, and hope they don’t show up.
Had crooked toes and they have been gone now for the past two years.
Yellow legs are a problem for us.  This year we are way up on the yellow legs.  Cockerels all have some degree of yellow, some really strong and pretty. :jumping:
  The Pullets on the other hand we seem to be struggling with their leg colour. :duh:
Our Cockerel’s feather colours are all close, 90% the same colouration.  And the dark in the chest seems to be very less this time.
Our pullets on the other hand are wide ranges in colours.  We have a low percentage that is close to standard. :(
We are struggling with pullet to cockerel numbers.  This year our hatch yielded 11 pullets vs. 18 cockerels. :huh:

Our overall flock heath has improved greatly.  When we first started 3 years ago, we had lots of unhealthy and weak birds.  Now all birds seem to be strong.

All in all we are heading in the right direction for standard.

#3 2015-05-12 15:56:00

hollowridge

Oh My, how did I forget our DEMON this year?  We got side sprigs! :duh:
We never breed side sprig birds but both parents of most, must be carriers.  :stomp:

We did have hatching eggs from Riverbend, but as far as I know he didn’t breed them either so now we have birds that are carries and not sure which ones they are. Our roo's are 75% side and not sure on the girls as they are only 11 weeks yet.

Two steps forward and One back! :banginghead:

#4 2015-05-13 00:20:23

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh I hear you Hollowridge! Side sprigs lurk in my genetics so very strongly and it will take years to clean that up. And the greenish legs I have less but still some.

But healthy stong birds come first so that is something to be very happy about!

My ratio so far is towards the pullets, not sure exactly how far but definitely noticible. Even our highland cattle are in that direction, 4 heifers of 4 calves with one more yet to go!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2015-05-14 11:03:49

poplar girl
Administrator

Maybe it's too soon for some people to make any observations beyond the number of cute fuzzy yellow chicks so far =D?

#6 2015-05-14 12:54:38

gubi
Website

So far I have had 2 with bent toes in the first hatch and 1 with both feet outside toes curled and splay legged in the 4th hatch.  I also had 2 other huge chicks that were splay legged in that hatch so maybe something to do with incubation?  I never had any sidesprigs or feather stubs from my own flock.  Leg color is now 90%+ yellow, at least it was last year.  I'm still hatching this year but haven't noticed any off colours yet.  So far they are healthy and growing well.  My problem is still mainly with the off coloured chests, mainly in the roosters which takes a long time to truly identify.  they seam to get grayer the older they get.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2015-05-15 12:16:15

poplar girl
Administrator

How old were they when the toes curled or legs splayed Gubi? If it happens within the first few weeks I would say it is likely the incubation not genetic.

I really wish I understood the genetics of the grey colors but I don't! i just keep selecting against grey in balance with all the other traits and over time eventually everyone will be gold like they're supposed to be.

#8 2015-05-15 12:43:16

Flat Rock Farm

Been too busy sharing EO eggs that I have not had a chance to set any, other than my test hatch.

So this weekend I am going to fill the incubator with just EO eggs.   I am hoping for better results this year.  I was progressing so well with them until last year :banginghead:.  Was so frustrated with the results of my EO's  last year I was at the point of not continue breeding and just keeping them for the wonderful birds they are.

This year I have 2 lovely new roosters over my chosen hens so I am keeping fingers XX

#9 2015-05-16 12:15:32

poplar girl
Administrator

Sometimes it's two steps backwards before moving forwards again I think FRF, I was not happy with my EOs last year either for the most part, this year is looking better!

So fill up that incubator with EOs! 30 of their brothers and sisters are due next Thursday at me place :)

#10 2015-05-16 15:47:38

Island Girl

Sorry to post so late after you started this great thread team EO! I wanted to do it justice by really thinking about it and I just have not had time. Every morning I read all the replies and say I will post later :whistle: but its just not happening. So I am just going to quickly just jot things down here as I think of them ...

The color of the chicks seems to be almost sex linked this year OR as gubi pointed out to me maybe the Maraduna are breeding more true this year. I originally thought that I had all Maraduna boys and all Gorria girls. Time will tell I guess on that one.

Hubby says constantly that he thinks this years chicks are growing significantly quicker.

More later ....

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer