Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-04-21 04:19:25

Island Girl

Interesting observation about fertility

I posted this on ACE and thought I had better share here too.

So my rooster who choked to death on feed :duh: and yes that was the Abbotsford lab's final diagnosis, died on the 24th of March. I just finished opening up 30+ eggs dated from the end of March to the 7th of April. Not one was fertile and growing. They were suppose to go into lockdown next week so it was pretty obvious to me that they were duds. By my calculations the last hens he bred on the 24th are no longer fertile. That is only 2 weeks  :(  I was so hoping for more chicks and have another batch of even later eggs also in the bator. I shall assume that they will all be clear as well. I have my last 14 eggs starting to pip today  so I will not fuss with the other possible duds until all these chicks are out. Then I will candle them and I may be all done hatching for the season already. I was not ready to be done. Thats the bad news but the good news is that I was able to hatch out 51 chicks so far so with this batch I may end up with around 60. I was aiming for 100 this spring but I should be happy that I was collecting eggs and got as many as I did!!

XOX Monika

2015-04-21 04:19:25

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-04-21 10:59:20

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Re: Interesting observation about fertility

:happycrowd"  sorry

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#3 2015-04-21 11:21:17

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Interesting observation about fertility

Of course when you want the eggs to be fertile long after the rooster is away from the hens for that entire month recommended they won't be.

60 chicks is not too bad Monika! How are the oldest looking so far?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer