Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-10-18 16:12:36

Island Girl

Egg Hatch Rate

As I will be soon receiving eggs to incubate I am pondering over an expected hatch rate given the time of year and shipping from the prairies to the Island. Should I try to maximize the space in the incubators? I just read a post on another forum with someone who was thrilled with a 32% hatch rate. I don't want to have an unrealistic expectation (you know don't count the chickens ...) so what is your opinion? I have 2 Brinsea incubators that will hold 24 eggs each. Susan has offered to send 2 different batches so that the first collected ones don't get too old. Does this sound better than waiting to collect too many at one time? Just wondering out loud and looking for opinions! :EO:

XOX Monika

2011-10-18 16:12:36

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-10-18 17:15:21

Skylinepoultry
Website

Re: Egg Hatch Rate

Island Girl wrote:

As I will be soon receiving eggs to incubate I am pondering over an expected hatch rate given the time of year and shipping from the prairies to the Island. Should I try to maximize the space in the incubators? I just read a post on another forum with someone who was thrilled with a 32% hatch rate. I don't want to have an unrealistic expectation (you know don't count the chickens ...) so what is your opinion? I have 2 Brinsea incubators that will hold 24 eggs each. Susan has offered to send 2 different batches so that the first collected ones don't get too old. Does this sound better than waiting to collect too many at one time? Just wondering out loud and looking for opinions! :EO:

XOX Monika

I believe two seperate deliveries is the best thing to do. Brinseas are very good incubators in my opinion. As far as in a hatch rate on shipped eggs, there's a lot of variables to consider. Shoot for 100% but settle with what you get on shipped eggs. That's the nature of the beast. This is strictly my opinion from alot of hatched shipped eggs. You'll do great!

#3 2011-10-19 00:49:06

Susan
Administrator

IG I think 2 shipments will be a must. There are 10 hens but at most I am only getting 4-7 eggs a day. I think the added light in the morning is helping, but they are still slow- which actually is a good thing, so they develop fully before going into full swing. Going to start collecting for you tomorrow :)

#4 2011-10-19 01:10:40

Island Girl

:happycrowd" oh Susan I am so excited (again)! I think that 2 shipments is a good idea too. We would maximize hatch-ability that way and it might make for easier shipping. I will be sending happy laying vibes your way! :love:

XOX Monika

#5 2011-10-19 01:30:04

pops coops
Website

Susan I will be waiting to :happycrowd"

Last edited by pops coops (2011-10-19 01:30:23)

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#6 2011-10-19 01:35:57

Susan
Administrator

I sure hope you get a great hatch. I haven't hatched at this time of year, so can't share any experience. I had really variable results last year with shipped eggs that I received.  PG got some from me last year, and I think she was happy. Can't remember the exact number that hatched and she also picked them up. I didn't have one egg break that I shipped though, so that was nice!

#7 2011-10-19 01:50:38

Island Girl

Hey pops you can live vicariously through me with my hatch and then I will live vicariously through you for your hatch! That way we can get the benefit of the 'hatch high' but actually have less work! :whistle:

XOX Monika

#8 2011-10-19 12:44:44

Susan
Administrator

Pops, it will probably be 2 to 3 weeks from now, but since you now have that fancy Heated brrooder room it should be okay! :)

Adverts

Board footer