Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-03-18 16:33:10

hollowridge

More Snow!!!

:please: I want spring!!!

We just got dumped with another storm.  This one over night brought us 18-20 inches where we are.  Took a few pictures.

Path to the covered chicken run.
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_0555%202edit%201024x768_zps2hrakqla.jpg
Not the best shot but who cares with this much snow. Having to shove a path and it is up over my head.
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_0563%202edit_zpsqhv5gl6d.jpg
The girls really appreciate my efforts! Although their run is getting smaller and smaller! Next year going to get wise and put plastic up over the sides to keep the snow from blowing in.
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_0558%202edit_zpsft9wfo43.jpg
A picture of how much fell over night! 
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_0569%202edit_zpsv82y2pyy.jpg

2015-03-18 16:33:10

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-03-19 00:31:17

Flat Rock Farm

Re: More Snow!!!

OMG you poor souls out there.  I saw it on the news.  We hardly have any snow left now, only the piles from plowing or shoveling.

Yes I am sure your girls appreciate your efforts.  Plastic on the side would be a great idea for next year :thumbs:

#3 2015-03-19 01:59:32

poplar girl
Administrator

That's :Crazy: I mean I know it's :Canada: and technically still winter but even we have hardly any snow left in Northern Alberta! You have definitely gotten more than you fair share of snow this winter :snowman:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2015-03-19 03:23:50

LNSS

I won't post any Pix ,,,But We have buds on the bushes / trees . I hope they wait for the bee's to arrive . Robins are starting to show up , next will be hummers . Wife says she will be in the greenhouse tomorrow. I have just finished dropping the firewood for 2017 winter. We are very early here on the wet coast. (second most western island in Canada) Next week the incubator will be put back into use when I return from collecting 2 batches of hatch-able :please: eggs .I went out a few days ago & cleaned all the bird hatching area & equipment , gave it a quick test / run & all controls work & read. We have rain due in :rain: for the next while. Pulled off the full snow tyres  today , back to  All Seassons till the summer.

Ya I know "It's A Damp Snow " we suffer from :group talking: .

Last edited by LNSS (2015-03-19 15:09:16)

#5 2015-03-19 12:33:50

gubi
Website

I guess i wont complain about the knee high snow we have left then!  The weather has been nice lately here but it is cold a night still.  Should make for good sap.  LNSS where are you from?  Please do post pictures to give us a bit of a glimpse into our future.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2015-03-19 13:12:47

hollowridge

Gubi is right, :please::pics: LNSS,  I really need to see a little hope right now. My greenhouse is buried in snow right now, Glass all around and on the roof, snow up to the roof and frozen on.  I just had 1/3 of the glass cleaned off and had sunshine in there when the last two messes came and took that away from me again.  Right now the door is frozen in ice a open just enough for me to squeeze through.

We hatched our eggs early so we could go fishing on April 1st, and have them outside :chairhide:.  Well that isn't happening.  And before anyone says ice fishing :funny:, there is even too much snow to get to a spot!  :duh: Guess Mother Nature is a little annoyed with us this year. :huh:

#7 2015-03-20 01:44:24

LNSS

Sorry no photo bucket or way to post any of the photos I have taken . I never had a chance to take any of the budding around the ranch today.:rain:The ones I do have here from last week are the firewood gathering (sort of) . But because of no attachments here , no pix. Was out at "my crack of dawn"  picking up glass jars of 3L sizing ,4 fit in a milk crate . We use these for storage of stuff. Village delicatessen food shop sells me these. Avatar is small , But BTN .

Nope , file to large & after an hour , I can't make small enough.
O-well .

Last edited by LNSS (2015-03-20 05:31:48)

#8 2015-03-20 11:23:12

Flat Rock Farm

LNSS this is the site I use to shrink my pictures for avatar's, it might help you??

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

#9 2015-03-20 15:55:10

LNSS

Thanks FR, I can shrink them in house , but you'll never see a bud or any detail .
Im going to post an add in Craiglist with the pictures , hows that ? be later since im just in from chores .

#10 2015-03-20 17:44:03

Flat Rock Farm

Or you could email them to me and I can post them for you??   I know I really do not like photo bucket :(

#11 2015-03-21 00:45:47

LNSS

Avatar is a blue heron on our hem tree , checking out the fish ponds we have .

Oh and did I mention it's overcast with rain !!! that makes it 3 months of rain !!

LNSS

Last edited by LNSS (2015-03-23 21:19:57)

#12 2015-03-21 16:58:49

hollowridge

Great :pics: thank you LNSS

Now we have even more to envy!  Oh the greenhouse, nice and free standing.  Ours it attached onto the carport of our garage, so it isn't windows all around.  Is that tackle boxes of fishing gear?   Oh and the asparagus, is that yours?  ours will be months yet, but oh so yummy! 
:thumbs: Then the topping on the cake is the sawmill!  That would be awesome!!  We go a few times a year and haul a few logs 45 minutes to a friends to have some logs sawed.  That is how we got our house siding, chicken coop, hardwood floors and much, much more.

Very nice spot.  Thanks for sharing!

#13 2015-03-22 01:38:38

LNSS

I updated a few pix .One  yellow daffodil flower found in garden driveway. Not fishing tackle box , but seed boxes of NON gmo hearty stuff . We let one plant always go to seed . We have the best Carrots , all from seed. asparagus yes , from the small area , we have a few spots . Pix of Inside green house added , the back section is the asparagus. Sawmill is ME , I prune the trees different that the wife's ladders  . I'll start at less than a meter 2' max & shave 250' off the top & them mill wood , Red & yellow cedar , fir , spruce , pine , & hem , plus alder or aspen .
Nothing is wasted , if its not a toothpick It 's  firewood.

So 2day I was on the green house black coverings area / thingy . They are solar collectors for heating water . I need to get these finished before the rain stops To fill the pools .. (Yes we get enough rain to fill swimming pools ).

Whats been planted ?? got me . wife / sitter knows . Dog is in front of the new duck pond i built . The hot-tub i found for free I dug the hole & buried it level , pump out the duck goose poop to the gardens every 2 weeks & refill from stored rain water in the pools .

JFI  HR.

LNSS

Last edited by LNSS (2015-03-23 18:18:09)

#14 2015-03-22 13:35:53

poplar girl
Administrator

Well we don't have as much snow as you HollowRdige but we certainly don't have buds on the trees or flowers as LNSS has either, if we did they would be in rough shape right now as its -8C with about 4-5 inches of new snow and still coming down :cozy:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#15 2015-03-22 15:18:33

Flat Rock Farm

Great pictures LNSS, love your dog!! =D

East side of the house along the foundation I have crocus up a just about ready to flower.  Will take some :pics:

#16 2015-03-22 15:22:32

gubi
Website

we have still about 80-90% snow cover here and it was -10C with a windchill of -20 C this morning.  The sun is out now and spring will eventually come to the rest of us too.  We hope!  The worst we had was 3 years ago when we had a real warm spell in March and then a cold spell in April that did a lot more damage then when it stays cold like it is this year. 
Any of you guys seen the crazy prices paid for hatching eggs on the CMC poultry and hatching egg action in Canada facebook site?  There are 12+ Appenzeller barthuener and 6 Spitzhauben eggs at $220.  The seller doesn't even have pictures of their own birds on the ad, the pictures are from feathersite and Greenfirefarms!  i wonder what the eggs will hatch?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#17 2015-03-22 23:09:04

LNSS

Myla is the new to us last year . Lab healer cross . This is her forever last home. She has been with four other homes , so we were told. Myla's job is to protect the birds / ducks , so as soon as the chicks were hatched last year , moving them from the hatching pen into the brooder its the first thing they see is a long dog nose . Myla smells every one and in time when the flock starts to move into the atrium or the duck zone she is to guard them from Eagles ,Hawks , owls , coons . Her first day here she was put inside the coup with us & learn't the birds . Yes I know she is a hunting dog & she hunts rabbits . Caught a few & brings them to mom for a quick clean & a meals for a week of so. All of the food she gets is homemade & cooked . When we do the processing of the birds , She gets to have a day off at a friends house tied up . So far all has been good / with / between Chicks ,chickens & ducks .  The rooster   will give out a noise & Myla comes running over & we swear that larry (rooster) is just pull a prank with her. If i ever find the picture of myla having scooter & moe going for a walk-aboot two chicks on her back . Next sunday we will be starting the systems back up again . Chickens first since my hatching eggs will be ready , ducks after that.

LNSS

Adverts

Board footer