Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-03-01 15:55:40

Island Girl

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) update

Well it certainly has been a fall & winter of learning along with many highs and lows. I had often thought of posting here but this forum has not been very active and I wasn't convinced anyone was listening.

I reread my other MG post and I see that I never continued to tell you of my test results. My lovely EO rooster tested positive for MG, you could have knocked me over with a feather. He had never had any symptoms nor has had any to this day, knock on wood!! I never did test any EO hens as I thought it was a moot point, remember if you have one MG positive bird you have to consider the whole flock positive. I didn't actually like that way of thinking  but now I have to say that so far any bird that I did test and did come back positive has since died or I have culled because I could not get clinical resolution no matter how much Oxytetracyline-A or Tylan I used. I gave them time to heal from swelling etc to no avail!! The only one who has not died (that I know has tested positive is my rooster, thank you Lord) The Porcelain Booted Bantam flock that I had always kept separate was negative with the first testing and I have since tested all 8 and they remain negative, in their own little separate coop and run. :wine: So far my bio security has worked and none of them are showing any signs of illness, even Peg the little girl who lost one of her legs to a raccoon this winter  :stomp:

I will fast forward to today and tell you that I am breeding my rooster at this time with a rotation of hens that are showing no clinical signs of MG, remember I don't actually know if my hens are positive but most likely are. I am choosing pretty much any hen that seems robust and has a straight keel, no wet bums, no sneezers and no wry tail. I am not being fussy with combs or feather color at this time. Its kinda like starting over but with a very good Maraduna rooster and maybe a little more knowledge of what to look for in future birds.

Oops time to get ready for church ..... I shall continue my saga this afternoon .... hope someone is listening, lol!

XOX Monika

2015-03-01 15:55:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-03-01 19:11:26

Island Girl

Re: Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) update

I have done much research on MG, read many different views on how to deal with it. Ignore it, closed flock, medicate, don't medicate ... you name it! I have spoken to Dr Cox, retired as of Jan 1st, an Avian Pathologist at the Abbotsford Animal health center, also his associate Dr Victoria Bowes .. they share the same fear of antibiotic resistance/over usage but do differ in their approach to this disease a bit. I am also in contact often with my own local vet. I won't bore you with all the info I have had to sort through but rather I would like to tell you what my plan is. Everyone's plan has to be tailored to what they want to accomplish with their own flock. For now I want MG free birds because I do want to hatch out replacement layers and keep my freezer full of chicken meat from the cockerels. I found that MG reared its ugly head when the chicks were around 5 -8 weeks old, chick mortality was too high to consider NOT trying to obtain an MG free flock.

Hens that are MG positive but not actively positive do not pass this disease through the egg. They have to be active to pass it to the egg and then it is a very slim chance that the chicks will be positive. But still possible ... and that is why I will keep every chick in the brooder room and test them at the appropriate time before they see the outside world. Their outside world will be my coop that the current flock resides in. Every hen will be tested for MG and that will decide their fate. The coop needs to stand empty after a thorough disinfection and drying. MG is a cell that has no wall and easily dies when dried out. A few weeks should do it although I will strive for a longer period of time than that.

I have decided against both the Tylan dip as it can be very dangerous even fatal to a developing embryo and as well I have decided against using  the Linco Spectim for the first 5 days after hatching. Believe me this is one of the hardest decisions ... and I still waver. Mostly 'antibiotic resistance' reasoning for this decision but like I said I am wavering on this one!

I have to tell you that my friend Debbie and I are in this together. Her flock also had MG and she has decided to cull and disinfect and wait for MG free chicks. If we do not get MG free chicks then we will have to re-evaluate and go from there. Its not an easy road but a worthwhile one. I have been at this since Sept/14, my plan changes according to what feels right with whatever knowledge I gain. That is one of my main reasons for wanting to share this with you, God forbid you find yourself in my shoes. I am open to questions and will answer the best I can, if you like!

I do want to add that achieving an MG free flock is just part of it. Then one must strive to maintain it. As I am not 100% sure where it came from I have changed many things to help not get it again. Biosecurity is huge when it comes to this disease. It can be passed on by infected wild birds pooping into your coop or rodents carrying into your coop on their feet etc. My coop is getting a bit of a reno. We are covering the 1/2 of the outdoor run that had wire overhead with clear plexi. All opening into the outdoor coop that would allow a rodent through have been closed to the best of my ability. We follow protocol with bleach foot bathes and no one is allowed into the coop any longer. A person can only do so much and it is also important to remember that the most common way MG is passed is through infected waterers. An ounce of prevention ....

XOX Monika

#3 2015-03-01 19:14:04

Flat Rock Farm

Oh Monika we are still here and watching and listening the forum everyday, well at least some of us, LOL  I agree has been very quiet and not sure why :(

I am so glad to hear you are going forward after all that has gone on with your beloved birds and especially your EO's as I know it has been a hard road to tow for you :happycrowd"

#4 2015-03-01 19:47:57

Island Girl

Weeeeeeeee someone is listening  :thumbs: Hello to you FRF. Glad to find you here. Yes it has been quite the road to tow. You know the hardest part after making sense of all the information out there is to apply it to your own situation. Even the professionals disagree on how to deal with it. Sometimes the facts are difficult to get straight but you know me I think everything to death and then go forward! I think I have gone through more bleach and Spray 9 disinfectant than any one person should in a lifetime. My dental cross contamination brain went into high gear. I know I was (am) driving Debbie nuts  :whistle:  but she agrees I am the one doing the collecting and hatching and brooding so I get to call the shots. She is awesome with research, settling me down when necessary and pitching in for supplies and food for the main flock. We do the blood testing together too. Gary has been very patient with me and does help with whatever he can. Ohhhh that reminds me I will go and pull some pictures of 'his' read 'my' projects for you to see.

XOX Monika

#5 2015-03-01 22:31:02

Flat Rock Farm

Well I am glad you have Debbie as support and help to you, you are fortunate to have her live close to you :happycrowd"  Also that hubby has been pitching in as well :thumbsup:  Makes all the difference when you are going through something like this or any crisis.
That would be frustrating getting different opinions from the professionals!!

#6 2015-03-01 22:43:09

poplar girl
Administrator

Monika it's great to get an update from you, especially when it comes to your EOs.

Did you test for a whole battery of respiratory related diseases when you tested for MG? I am just wondering how you ruled out others like ILT and infectious bronchitis.

I am quite suprised your mortality rates were so high with your younger birds, I thought MG had lower mortality rates. I guess that goes to show I have some things to learn.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2015-03-02 01:04:27

gubi
Website

still here reading too.  I hope you get the desired results after all that hard work and all the worries!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2015-03-02 17:24:01

Island Girl

Hmmm thats wierd I had written out a response to you here pg and its not there today. oh well I was having a lot of trouble posting stuff yesterday so maybe it was me :P

The initial tests were the whole gauntlet pg, the lab tested for everything but the only thing that came back positive was MG. All tests since then have been follow up MG tests. Its cheaper to process and I was doing a lot of chicks so that is why I did it that way. When I test all my EO hens before I cull I will do the whole gauntlet again on them as they have never been tested. When I test the chicks before introducing them to the outdoor coop I will most likely only test for MG. Apparently when a chick gets MG its too difficult for them to fight and they die whereas an adult has a tendency to die of other things once they have MG in their system ??? I am not really 100% sure of the reasoning here but now I will have to check that out more thoroughly. I will let you know what I come up with or maybe someone else here already knows the answer to that.

XOX Monika

#9 2015-03-02 17:31:44

Island Girl

Thanks gubi :happycrowd" are you and your daughter still breeding your Porcelain Booted Banties? I would love to send you some eggs of mine to hatch. I did notice that the ones from my line have beautiful speckling and I know that when their grandfather won the Best in Show ribbon the judge's best friend (also a poultry judge) decided then and there he was going to start breeding these beauties as well! It would be good to have a different blood line in your Porcelain Booted. These are from the flock that have tested negative for MG numerous times now :jumping: but the little hens (5) have not yet started laying.

XOX Monika

#10 2015-03-02 20:31:14

hollowridge

:hug:
One of our worst nightmares and you are going through it.  So sorry that you are having such a hard time, wishing you all the best.

#11 2015-03-03 02:06:56

gubi
Website

Yes we will attempt to breed them once again this year.  It would be awesome to have some different blood!  We are still in a deep freeze here in Ontario and all my hens are still together with some roosters so it will be a while before we start breeding this year.  I have started to build a pair of small breeding pens 3' by 4' to at least get the silkies and the porcelains separated out but have not finished them yet.  Eggs are limited here too mainly because my fluorescent lights on the timer only work when it is above freezing.  February was the coldest on record since 1934 in Ontario they say and then I read on ACE that you are planting potatoes in BC!  :thumbsup:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#12 2015-03-03 04:37:05

Island Girl

Thank you hollowridge. It is a difficult road to travel but its much easier when you are armed with a plan and a good support system. My girls are being good to me now, today I collected 7 eggs out of 8 hens that have been bred with the rooster. I hope to have enough to put into my 'new to me'  Sportsman next week. There will be lots of hatching and brooding and then blood testing going on here. I will keep everyone updated.  :thumbs:

XOX Monika

#13 2015-03-03 04:42:16

Island Girl

gubi you let me know when you have the time and space for them and I will do my best to get whatever I can to you. About those potatoes  I checked the soil and it does still seem a bit wet but should soon be dry enough to plant. I am hoping for this weekend. :thumbsup: Seems weird to be talking about that when I just posted on hollowridge's snow rooster thread.  :snowman:

XOX Monika

#14 2015-03-03 14:58:03

hollowridge

Oh I am green with envy that you are talking about planting potatoes.
Plant a few extra for all of us that need to feel the dirt under our fingers!  :thumbsup:

#15 2015-03-08 17:46:24

debbiej

It's so  hard to go out to the coops and have no chickens come running :( . Thought it would be easier by now, it's been a few weeks since I did my final cull.   We must stick to the plan.  no new fuzzy butts

Thought I'd let you all know about my Guinea Fowl and the endless MG testing, well it seemed like it. I hate needles.  When Monika and I tested the first time my Guineas came back negative.  =D   The Guinea Fowl lived with my chickens  Months later we tested more of our flock , the Guineas came back negative.  =D    Then my only hen broke her neck, so I bought 5 standard Guinea hens from a lady with killer bio security. A few weeks later, we tested all of my Guineas  they all came back negative     :love:    Guinea Fowl appear to have a killer immune system and don't catch all of the chicken diseases.

#16 2015-03-08 18:12:50

Flat Rock Farm

Wow that's good to know Debbie, thanks for sharing that info.  Still don't think I would replace my chickens for Guinea's they are SOOOO loud, well at least the ones I had were :(

It is so sad that you had to cull your flock :sad:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2015-03-08 18:13:32)

#17 2015-03-09 00:48:12

Shnookie

Monika, I really admire your stamina.  It would be a lot easier to give up.  You are putting in an incredible amount of effort.  Good luck, and I hope you get some healthy chicks to carry on with.  :EO:

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

Adverts

Board footer