Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-03-01 22:59:50

Island Girl

Making chicken stock

Another one of those things I like to do in the winter to help me appreciate my chicken efforts during the spring and summer. Lots of EO cockerel necks and backs to make a yummy stock. First I roasted them with a little water and whatever fresh herbs I had surviving outside, oregano, parsley, thyme, chives as well as other bottled herbs that grabbed my fancy like herbs de provence. I roasted them all day and then covered them with water. If memory serves me right, I added onions too. They were in the oven overnight on a low temp. Strained in the morning into ice cream buckets and then into the freezer! They went to our church for a chicken soup lunch. Oh I also donated chicken that I had canned for the soup.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/4bb5a9d4-fa52-4c1a-b2a0-3a82fbbcc383_zpsztx84ivc.jpg

XOX Monika

2015-03-01 22:59:50

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-03-02 01:05:24

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Making chicken stock

Ohhh looks great!! :eat:

Nothing better than homemade stock :thumbsup:

#3 2015-03-02 12:18:45

poplar girl
Administrator

Yup, homemade chicken stock is yummy stuff :eat:

I make stock pretty similar to how you do Monika. Once it's cooled I strain out any bits and freeze the broth in about 500ml amounts in ziplock bags.

For really large batches like you are making I think pressure canning if the broth would also work really well if you wanted to preserve it for a longer time.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2015-03-02 17:13:37

Island Girl

I often pressure can the stock pg I give cases of it to my daughter who loves to cook :thumbsup: This time I knew the church would be needing it so I saved myself the time and just froze it. It was so thick and gelatinous ...  pure gold!

XOX Monika

#5 2015-03-04 01:40:55

Maggiesdad

That does look good!

Do any of you use the feet?  I simmered 11 necks, 22 feet, and one bird in an 8qt stock pot overnight, and when that stuff set, you could cut it in bricks like jello jigglers. :eat:

so good... :love:

#6 2015-03-04 05:24:26

Island Girl

Do you throw the feet in as they are or do you have to prepare the in any way before hand? There is just something about the feet that just gross me out, even when I am butchering they are the first thing to come off   :huh:  but then if it makes nice stock ...

XOX Monika

#7 2015-03-04 11:39:34

Flat Rock Farm

I'm with you IG,I don't think I could put the feet in either.....YUK!!  I see them in the frozen section at the grocery store, guess they are tasty??? :huh:

#8 2015-03-06 04:53:46

Maggiesdad

When I scald (about 90 seconds at 145°F) and the primaries start slipping nicely, I pull the bird up by the wings with tongs and then hold his feet (hock deep) in the scalding pot for a count of 15 more seconds. By then I can hold the bird comfortably with my bare hands and I grip a leg with my left hand and grab the shank with my right hand right at the hock and twist and pull his socks off. It's one motion, takes about three seconds. Watch the spurs if it's a rooster, that cover comes off separately. Check to make sure you didn't leave any toenails, and voila! Perfectly clean feet, ready for Pho! It's unreal how much gelatin they will produce when you cook them. I layer them in the bottom of the stock pot when cooking, and strain the goodness when nobody's looking.

It is pretty freaky to have a pot full of feet on the stove... :P  But what they don't know won't hurt 'em, and when folks marvel at how good my stock is, I just smile and say "Why, Thank you!" =D

Adverts

Board footer