Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-02-25 17:43:51

aarzuaga

Apologies

Well, I want to apologize for my prolonged absence :chairhide: . I'll just say, I've been busy with school and trying to find a job :surfing: . My neskak are doing well this "wintry" season and have actually begun laying after their molting period. I am receiving vegetables from a local catering company and I am using it for compost and the girls are loving it. A week after I started this, they started laying again. They are also free ranging everyday all day :layer: .

I added a few non Euskal Oiloak to my flock (we are now greedy with homegrown eggs). We added two Leghorns and two Ameracaunas. My daughter, in love with chickens now, "made us" get four silkies and two drakes. :huh: Needless to say, it has been fun. The Leghorns and Ameraucanas have begun to produce their eggs and production is increasing with each passing week.

I hope and pray all are staying warm :cozy:

:ikurrina:

Last edited by aarzuaga (2015-02-26 14:28:41)

2015-02-25 17:43:51

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-02-26 01:16:03

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Apologies

Great to "see" you again aarzuaga! Sounds like you and your family are exibiting normal chicken crazy behaviour...a few are good, more are better...oh and this one is pretty and what about ducks...

Our winter has been quite mild so far, no -40 temperatures yet and the days are getting longer so all is well. We won't see unfrozen ground for a month or six weeks so and green grass is probably 2-3 months away but still. I wish I could let my chickens outside to free range like yours but it will be awhile yet.

Will this be your last year of school or is there more yet to come?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2015-02-26 02:51:25

Maggiesdad

We are looking at another shot of snow tonight... Glad to hear you are all doing well!

:happycrowd"

#4 2015-02-26 14:39:45

aarzuaga

:thanks: Thank you for the responses. It looks like we are sticking around for another year after my last semester finishes in May. I have been accepted for a year-long residency in a hospital here in the North Carolina Triangle area.

It has been fun getting to know them and seeing the behavior and interaction not only with each other, but with me and the family, including the dogs. I am glad it hasn't been that bad for you this winter; I hope it stays like that for you folks in the frozen north.

Great to see you too Maggiesdad, I hope you are doing well and that you were able to get that fox that was stalking your flock. I hope we get more snow tonight. Its a pretty sight. I am sure if you are buried in snow for 5-7 months like our friends to the north, it begins to loose its charm.

#5 2015-02-27 00:38:21

Flat Rock Farm

Good to hear from you aarzuaga and that you and your chickens are well :happycrowd"  I has been soooooo quiet on the forum the past few months :(  Well I see you have been bit by the chicken math bug as PG said "a few are good, more is better".  Can't blame your daughter for wanting the silkies, they are just too darn cute!!

Been a horrible Jan & Feb. in Southern Ontario and we are in an extreme cold alert again tonight with wind chill of -30C.  YES the snow does loose it charm!!!  LOL   

Oh to be able to let the chicken outside again............ they are getting cabin fever I think.  The EO's especially press up against the pen doors when I come in to do chores.

Adverts

Board footer