Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-06-27 18:00:48

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

What kind of incubator do you have?

And do you like it/them? 

I may just be in the market for one!  I sold my 3 Sportsmen in the winter and am relying on broodies.  I feel an incubator purchase coming on :doI?:

2011-06-27 18:00:48

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-01 05:23:30

thatbloke

Re: What kind of incubator do you have?

An RCom 20, well actually two of them in truth..I think they're worth the extra money spent up front for the results that come in the end, auto turn, digital humidity and temperature that are both spot on.

you can refill the water supply from the outside..I only open mine once to go into lockdown to add a paper towel as the bottom is a bit slippery then turn off the turner and that's it just wait for chicks... To me it's a total no brainer I have even got 90% with shipped eggs once !

#3 2011-07-01 06:01:48

Skylinepoultry
Website

Brinsea Ova easy 380. Its been wonderful! Its a no brainer too. Just load and forget.

#4 2011-07-01 11:32:28

Young Heritage

Currently building a large cabinet incubator to hold 150+ eggs.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#5 2011-07-01 12:46:33

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hey welcome thatbloke, our Californian Contingent!  I have been eyeing up those Rcoms.

I did have a Brinsea 380 on my wish list 2 years ago and had decided to order one, then we went to an auction sale the very next day looking fora  canoe (turned out it looked like it had been folded in half :huh:) but there were two mustard coloured boxes there and we got the Sportsman incubator and hatcher for $100 each!  I since got another pair, but I sold them all this spring so I could not hatch any eggs, but I have now 5 broodies (2 lavender ameraucanas, 2 chanteclers and my 3 year old Blondie Euskal oiloa!  I am itching to put some eggs under them!  Funny my lavender Orpingtons have shown no signs of camping out in the nesting boxes!

Young heritage, have you built one before?  What are you making it from?

#6 2011-07-01 18:29:50

Young Heritage

A Commercial UPS cabinet. No I haven't built one before. They are not that hard to build with a little research. I have talked to a lot of people and learned from their mistakes. lol

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#7 2011-07-01 19:29:42

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Had to google that, :oops: though maybe it was UPS drop off box or something for parcels, but uninterruptable power supply..should be sturdy and would have ventilation too, good thinking.

#8 2011-07-01 21:25:31

poplar girl
Administrator

A Brinsea octagon 20 advance with the humidity pump and it is a really nice little incubator! I also have a hovabator which can work well but definitely not as fool proof as the Brinsea. Good thing the Brinsea only holds 24 eggs :whistle:
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/ef364dfa.png

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2011-07-05 00:30:17

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think I would only get one with a humidity pump.  I am just too forgetful, houseplants do not do well here :oops:  Is it easy to clean PG?  And what is chick hatching visibility like?  An all important factor! :thumbsup:

#10 2011-07-05 01:31:58

poplar girl
Administrator

For the most part the the Brinsea octagon is easy to clean but you do have to unscrew the fan guard to get the chick fuzz out of the top area. I hatch in cartons and the outer two rows of eggs are easy to view, the middle rows are a bit harder to see. And it gets really crowded in there if you have 24 eggs hatching. You will notice my temperature is a bit high according to the digital read out. My first hatch set at 37.5C (99.5F) was over a day late. I got a spot check thermometer and the factory calibration was a bit off so I upped the temperature. One good thing with the humidity pump is if you do open the incubator to take out chicks during a pause the incubator can get back up to humidity and no shrink-wrapped chicks. And chicks dry off nicely, my hovabator chicks hatched near the end were always sticky looking.

Yep, good think it only holds 24 eggs :whistle:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2011-07-05 02:15:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Looks great!  Nothing worse than shrink wrapped chicks :oops:

#12 2011-07-10 13:53:03

poplar girl
Administrator

My plan to make the Brinsea 20 work for me since it is pretty small is pair breeding. I will plan 3-4 different hatches next year each with one pair mating of SGD, EO and possibly a few d'uccles if I can get an unrelated roo or hen. That way I don't need to leg band (or toe punch which I have been unable to bring myself to do) anyone until they are older as they are separated by age. I will end up with about 10 chicks from each pair if all goes well  which should be enough to see how the cross worked.

The drawbacks to this are birds of 3-4 different ages to deal with but we are getting close to being set up to grow that many different groups out. Also interbreed fighting between the young roosters seems to be a problem. I have had two SGD males get picked on in my oldest group.

#13 2011-07-10 20:37:36

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:sick: I don't think I could toe punch either.....  That does make sense if you ahev will power :whistle:  The sportsman spoiled me for having good sized batches of the same age.  But it is so hard not to waste the eggs once fertile as it means the girls were in jail with the roo for nothing if we eat the eggs!  If there's no room in the bator it is a done deal no temptation.

I want to be able to hatch in the cartons too, especially with shipped eggs.  Hubby says he thinks the 20 will be too small, especially for this one hatch this year.  It is late enough anyway, I don't want to have to do another a month later.

#14 2011-10-16 02:24:50

texastinsel

The Octagon 20 is on my wish list :love:

#15 2011-10-17 02:06:31

pops coops
Website

I run three cabinet sportsman and I love them 2300 chicks last year 420 guineas and 250 peafowl

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#16 2011-10-17 03:25:13

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I need to get some more incubators before Feb!  I had sportsmen, I sold all mine last Spring!  I still don't know what kind to get! Probably a sportsman to start as they are cheap for the number of eggs you can get in them if you get an old one, and we totally know the mechanics of them now!  :thumbsup:

#17 2011-10-17 05:51:34

Skylinepoultry
Website

pops coops wrote:

I run three cabinet sportsman and I love them 2300 chicks last year 420 guineas and 250 peafowl

Wow!

#18 2011-10-17 19:59:31

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yup that's a lot of little birdies :love:

#19 2011-10-17 23:28:55

Flat Rock Farm

I have a Lyons Roll X2 and does 80 eggs and that's enough, OMG pops coops were the heck do you put them all :huh:  I could get into real trouble with an incubator like that :whistle:

#20 2011-10-18 12:57:19

Lisa

Morning All!

I've been thinking about incubators as well - was searching for info on Paula's Lyons, when I came across a thread recommending Dickey's incubators (handmade by a guy in the US named Dickey). Anybody heard of these??

www.dickeyincubators.com

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer