Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-12-05 13:28:30

poplar girl
Administrator

MGF talk to me about geese

I see you have geese on your current avatar. I think they are saddle backs or some such thing. Tell me about them. Are they agressive? For what purposes do you keep them? I have a strange curiosity about geese.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2014-12-05 13:28:30

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-05 13:44:33

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Re: MGF talk to me about geese

They are African Geese, Super Africans.  Super because they have a very large dewlap.  We have rehomed them this year.  I do miss having them roam about the property though.  Ours were not aggressive except during mating season.  Then look out!!  We would open their pen early in the AM and they would wander about at their leisure, usually going back into their pen around 5 or 6 PM.  They lived outdoors with only a shelter.   Very easy to look after and flightless, so we didn't have to worry about them flying into a tree top somewhere.   They lay eggs only during the spring months,  I would collect the eggs and place in an incubator.  I have heard that they will hatch their own but, we wanted to incubate to encourage more eggs. 

It has come to the time where we needed to downsize a bit here on Martin Grove Farm.  Hubby has some limitations and we decided that the geese and turkeys should be the first to go.  Most of our hobby chickens are gone now too  :(    And all the incubators are sold as well.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#3 2014-12-07 21:05:01

poplar girl
Administrator

I have to say I find geese very fascinating but they also scare me :chairhide: They are so large and the ones I've been around hissed at me all the time which I can't say I enjoyed!

I didn't realize you decided to downsize MGF. Sometimes as much as we love our animals they do start to become a lot of work which can become a lot of stress. Hopefully it means you can enjoy the animals you have kept even more and no further reductions will be necessary!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2014-12-07 23:22:49

Flat Rock Farm

Geese are fun.  I had Emdens first and really thought they were great.  We got them for the freezer and it was the hardest thing to do to process them, they really had character.  It was a sad day :sad: so I never got any again until I purchased some Sebastepols, soooo pretty but soooooooo loud!!!

Great sound alarms in letting me know when something was amiss!!!

Adverts

Board footer