Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-11-12 21:11:50

hollowridge

laying issue

Hi, just wanted to see if anyone has come across this problem.

We have a pullet that is 38 weeks of age and we have yet to see her lay.  I know it may sound crazy but we watch our birds closely, have the time to go and keep a close eye out on them.  We hatched 5 marraduna pullets this spring and 4 had started laying from 17-20 weeks.  But this young lady, we have never seen her lay.  We may have gotten 6 eggs from her since then.  Got a few small ones that didn't match what the others were laying.  She is darker then the rest but really don't see that as a problem.  Has anyone else ever have pullets or hens that never lay or only lay once in awhile? 
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_26212edit_zps79d746d0.jpg

For her size she really should be laying.  If anyone has had this, is it common, does it change or will it continue.

:thanks:

2014-11-12 21:11:50

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-11-13 02:50:55

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: laying issue

Unfortunately I have experienced a hen that does not lay or lays so few eggs I can count them on one hand. I have had one EO like that the rest were other breeds.  The only thing to do unless you are willing to keep her around solely as a pet is cull her as at 28 weeks I doubt she will every really be productive.

Your marraduna rooster looks like a lovely boy by the way, one to be very pleased with :thumbs:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2014-11-13 14:09:27

hollowridge

poplar girl wrote:

Unfortunately I have experienced a hen that does not lay or lays so few eggs I can count them on one hand. I have had one EO like that the rest were other breeds.  The only thing to do unless you are willing to keep her around solely as a pet is cull her as at 28 weeks I doubt she will every really be productive.

Your marraduna rooster looks like a lovely boy by the way, one to be very pleased with :thumbs:

Okay good to know about her, when we do our finally cull for the winter she will have to be one.:(  We have one girl last year from another breed that we think is the same and she grew 1 spur the same size as the rooster her age.

As for our Rooster, he is isn't he! :love: I was so pleased with him until he flew at me (twice) :chairhide:  He has the perfect color legs, nice feathers and cone, a bit of grey in the chest but nothing like our other guy who is white legged and very dark in the chest.   I still want to give him a chance, he is not people friendly and having two grandchildren my Husband has him on the hit list for this fall.  I am torn between keeping him.  I really think he would throw nice chicks but the temperament is a big factor, plus we wouldn't breed him this spring to his sisters so we would be waiting for the next years off spring to breed with. 

Really hoping the other rooster has the yellow gene so that he will give us yellow legged chicks, but we really love his temperament.  He is good around people and you can pick him up when needed and he comes by his name.

:huh: I wish chicken keeping was easier.  :Crazy:

#4 2014-11-13 18:11:11

hollowridge

:stomp: Well I should learn to keep my mouth shut.  Just had the granddaughter here and went to look for eggs.  Maxx(rooster) decided to show himself off.  Lucky that I stayed between her (two years old) and him.  He fluffed up and came at us.  And kept coming, wouldn't back down.  I couldn't get at him so I had to block him till our daughter got the granddaughter out the door, then he kept backing up in the corner under the roost after he flew at me so I couldn't get him.  Bugger, I had to finally give him a boot out the run door for me to get out of the house.  :banginghead:

I guess His fate was just decided.  :eat:

#5 2014-11-14 00:15:58

Flat Rock Farm

Oh that is too bad about your rooster.  There is nothing worst that having a nasty boy and dealing with that everyday.

Is he with some hens right now that he feels like he needs to protect??  Sometimes what I will do with them is separate them from the hens and they calm down, if not they have to go!!

Adverts

Board footer