Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-10-13 16:29:48

poplar girl
Administrator

Basques are welcome at the APA Canadian National Show!

Canadian Heritage Breeds Urban Farm show November 22-23 in Red Deer, Alberta is the venue for the American Poultry Association Canadian National Show :Canada: which is pretty exciting. But much more exciting is that Basque Hens are officially welcome :thumbsup: One of the judges, Dave Anderson, has graciously agreed to judge them according to our draft SOP.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/misc/598ec54d1e7e8f380cc91d4566bfb6ae.jpg

Basque breeders and owners in Western Canada, if you have birds that you consider good examples of the breed please consider entering them. I would like to suggest the varieties names for the show that we use be the English version as discussed on another thread: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1983 So for entries breed would be Basque. Variety would be Red (gorria), red cuckoo (marraduna) or if your bird but does not fit either variety description, AOV (any other variety).

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2014-10-13 16:29:48

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-10-13 16:44:18

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Basques are welcome at the APA Canadian National Show!

That's is great news!!!  :excited:

:EO: :cheer:

#3 2014-10-13 18:49:32

poplar girl
Administrator

I should mention that Dave Anderson is the President of the APA. And John Monaco the second judge is the Vice President of the APA :chairhide:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2014-10-14 05:18:15

karaandblue
Website

How exciting!! I am planning to bring one red cockerel, one AOV cockerel and 1-3 pullets. Red and AOV. :) looking forward to hearing the judges critiques.

#5 2014-10-15 01:03:24

Lisa

:cheer: :excited::cheer:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#6 2014-10-15 20:33:18

la-chicken

Guess I am bring Basque AND turkeys.  Oh ya, I keep forgetting I have Dutch.
Excellent news! 
PG do we need numbers or just top quality and leave the iffys at home.

I am very new to this breed.  Bring on the learning!!!

#7 2014-10-16 00:19:42

poplar girl
Administrator

I would suggest going for quality not quantity. Making a good impression with the judges and having them take this breed and our efforts to have them recognized (down the road a few years) by the APA is much more important right now than showing lots of birds.

#8 2014-10-16 00:47:24

la-chicken

I thought so….  Just wanted to make sure.

#9 2014-10-20 16:55:09

karaandblue
Website

What are you planning to bring poplar girl and la-chicken?  I have narrowed down to two cockerels and two pullets for now - more critique to occur soon.
One cockerel is Gorria one is heterozygous, one pullet is Gorria and one is marraduna (I think - poplar girl it was the youngest of the first batch)

#10 2014-10-21 01:03:35

la-chicken

Marraduna:  One Rooster, one cockerel, 2 hens and 2 pullets.  But, these guys are in a full on moult now.  They may not be up to their best and one has side sprigs.
So far, these are what I like but will go out and make the finally decision closer to the time.
Look forward to meeting you karaandblue.

#11 2014-10-21 02:00:36

poplar girl
Administrator

Still not 100% sure of my final tally but the current plan is:
1 red cock
1 red cockerel
3-4 red pullets
Maybe 1 red hen

Maybe 1 red cuckoo cockerel
Maybe 2 red cuckoo pullets
Maybe 1-2 red cuckoo hens

Need to see how they look in a week or so to make the final decision.

Remember "red" is the new gorria and "red cuckoo" is the new marraduna ;) I will email Rico at some point to let him know our English and Spanish variety descriptions to try to ensure we don't confuse him too much!

Kara I am having a memory laps as to which little girl was the youngest of the the first batch...I will likely recall when I see her photo or if I check my notes...

#12 2014-11-08 01:20:51

poplar girl
Administrator

Reminder that the deadline for entries is November 12th! Entries can be made through the CHB website: www.canadianheritagebreeds.com.

I think in past years Rico has included the basques under the Any Other Standard Breeds class.

Now to find time to look over my birds!

#13 2014-11-10 02:35:48

karaandblue
Website

Ok. So I decided to take two cockerels.
One AOV (red x red cuckoo)
One Red
Two pullets
One red (she's fairly young so not overly big)
One AOV (red x red cuckoo)
My AOV pullet is a bit pinched behind and not as full as I'd like to see but I thought I would bring her anyways. The red cockerel is a bit younger as well so not sure how well he will place but that's ok too.
looking forward to meeting you as well La-chicken and having coffee with you poplar girl - anywhere that isn't the local poultry abbatoir!
Oh and I have some fun fancy eggs too!

#14 2014-11-11 06:38:22

juanmmg54

Ya solo os queda un día para inscribiros..   Sería importante que , una vez celebrada pusierais un reportaje fotografico , para los que no pudimos estar presentes.  Gracias

#15 2014-11-11 17:26:39

poplar girl
Administrator

juanmmg54 wrote:

Ya solo os queda un día para inscribiros..   Sería importante que , una vez celebrada pusierais un reportaje fotografico , para los que no pudimos estar presentes.  Gracias

Loose ENGLISH translation:
And only one day left .. Pictures please once the event is over, for those who could not be present.

:pics: of the Basques at the show will most certainly be taken!

#16 2014-11-11 19:21:05

juanmmg54

:pics::pics::pics::pics: Yes. muchas fotos,  please.:pics::pics::pics::pics::pics::pics::pics::pics:

Last edited by juanmmg54 (2014-11-11 19:22:12)

Adverts

Board footer