Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-10-29 04:23:07

plbuck

Genetics of my pair

Hen has white ear lobes.  Roo doesn't.
> Chicks I have have yellow-greenish legs, much more yellow on cockerels.
> Will they get yellower?  Chicks get plenty of greens for the carotene
> pigments.  Got some recessive whites in the big hatching early last summer.
> Are the Marraduna colors carried under that gene?  I think I can
> greatly improve my stock with what I'm working with, but would
> definitely like to hatch some from someone's eggs come spring.  In
> your own experience, how sexable are the Marraduna chicks?  I get the
> impression that most are within a month, before I have much feed in
> unneeded cockerels.  They will be raised and become delicious in
> Wilmore Kentucky.  I think I remember you calling the pattern "red
> cuckoo"?  Would they then be sexable via head spot as day-olds like
> most barred and cuckoo breeds, as long as the cockerels are homozygous
> for the barred/cuckoo gene?  Been handling adult birds, who have had
> very little handling.  Incredible how calm and gentle they are.  Love
> to be carried around and petted.  Yours, Patrick PS wonder if anyone will ever develop a bantam variety of the Marradunas?
> PPS Listen to the song but replace "Barracuda" with "Marraduna":
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0OX_8YvFxA  :-)

2014-10-29 04:23:07

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-10-29 11:46:26

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Genetics of my pair

Hen has white ear lobes.  Roo doesn't.
Ear lobes are tricky things. It seems hens will show positive white on their earlobes before the males do. Positive white should venselected against. Are you certain the hen's earlobes aren't just white skin? Positive or enamel white is different so just checking.

Chicks I have have yellow-greenish legs, much more yellow on cockerels. Will they get yellower?  Chicks get plenty of greens for the carotene pigments.
The sex linked barring (cuckoo) genes of which males have two and females only one, masks dermal melanin so cockerels will show the green less than pullets. When chicks are very young I find the marraduna cockerels will show the greenish yellow if they carry it but their legs will fade to pure yellow as they mature. Pullets with green-yellow also fade to less noticible but not as quickly or as much. Try to select both males and females with brought yellow legs using the color when they are young as your guide.

Got some recessive whites in the big hatching early last summer. Are the Marraduna colors carried under that gene? 
You are correct it is recessive white. I have never had one in my flock but others have, seems fairly common in the US birds from Skyline.

To get white chicks both parent must carry the recessive white gene. If both parents carry it you will get about 25% white chicks on average. So based on that if you only had one pair this year you know both your hen and roo carry the recessive white gene.

When you do get a white birds that means both its genes are recessive. If you breed that bird to a marraduna coloured one you will either get no white offspring (if the marraduna colored bird does not carry the recessive gene) or about 50% white (if the other bird is a carrier). Also if you are having trouble with off-colored marraduna (eg too much grey) who knows what color of marraduna your white birds are hiding.

This trait is one that has been mentioned in the Spanish literature and should also be selected against.

I think I can greatly improve my stock with what I'm working with, but would definitely like to hatch some from someone's eggs come spring.
With all the traits you are describing it would be very wise to get some new blood. But these are all common problems in or US and Canadian EOs so new blood may come with some of the same problems. The really good news is you now know a lot about the genetics of your pair and their offspring. I pair mate all my birds and find I can manage their genetic flaws as well as u deer stand them that way!

I think I remember you calling the pattern "red cuckoo"?  Would they then be sexable via head spot as day-olds like most barred and cuckoo breeds, as long as the cockerels are homozygous for the barred/cuckoo gene?
No chick down cannot be used to sex marraduna Basques. EOs are a Wheaton e-alle and if they have a head spot it's not related to sex or sex linked barring, it is the Columbian gene. They also aren't slow feathering so you can't use the length of the wing feathers on the chick for feather sexing at a week or so either.

I can visually sex my marraduna with pretty good accuracy based on feather color and their little bubble gum combs around 4-5 weeks I think.

Wonder if anyone will ever develop a bantam variety of the Marradunas?
No but one of the flocks in Canada seems to carry the dwarf gene. Chicks are about 33% smaller than the standard size. I culled against it but I suppose it could be a project for someone.

Remember type, health and temperament of your birds are equally or more important than the "trim" (feather, leg, earlobe color)!

I am late for work so I'll let others weigh in!!

Last edited by poplar girl (2014-10-29 11:47:13)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2014-10-29 21:14:27

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Genetics of my pair

PPS Listen to the song but replace "Barracuda" with "Marraduna":

Oh that so fits!!!  :funny:

Sorry can't weigh in on the genetic stuff :oops:

Adverts

Board footer