Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-10-27 05:22:19

plbuck

Hello from Lexington Kentucky USA

Hi, I'm Patrick, age 55.  Have loved chickens ever since I knew there was such a thing.  I live in Lexington Kentucky and got a trio of started Marraduna Basques from Skyline almost exactly 2 yrs. ago.  Raised a bunch in summer of 2013, sold and traded quite a few, and wintered the rest at a friend's farm while I tried some other breeds, including Cuckoo Marans and Cream Legbars.  Raised tons of Seramas for almost 9 years, along with some pigeons.  Decided to cut way back.  I've kept my silky and silky cross broodies, 5 at the moment.  Meanwhile, back on my friend's farm, dogs and coyotes conspired to reduce the Marradunas to one pair of last year's chicks.  They got through the worst winter here in 30 years as free-range birds, although the roo's comb got "dubbed" by Mother Nature.  I've done a bit of late hatching to have more breeders for spring.  Two approximately one-month-old pairs have now been produced from my surviving pair.  I'll need new blood next year, preferably from shipped eggs.  I anticipate hatching maybe 30 to 50 next year and selling most as started chicks once sexable.  I heard about the breed on www.feathersite.com and like their personality, early sexability, uniqueness and suitability for the urban homestead.  I live 5 min. from downtown and will never be a big breeder, but my goal next year is to hatch some birds closer to the standard, which I also hope to learn well.  Chickens, including roosters, are legal here.  All my neighbors either have chickens or live in glass houses so to speak so they don't complain LOL.  Survivors have white legs.  I kept the chicks that didn't.  2 cockerels yellowish legs; pullets greenish yellow.  I read Spanish, French and Catalan if that would help make the literature on the breed more accessible to the group.  I'm thrilled how my babies are taming up.  Didn't have time to do much taming with their parents and grandparents.  I think hand-tamed started chicks, especially pullets, will be a nice niche market for urban chicken keepers to buy locally.  Males not needed for breeding or sale will be humanely raised as meat birds on a friend's small homestead out in the country.  Anyway, enough about my operation and decision to choose Marraduna Basques as "my" long-term breed.  Looking forward to hearing from folks.  Happy Hatchings!  Patrick

2014-10-27 05:22:19

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-10-27 11:24:59

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Hello from Lexington Kentucky USA

Welcome Patrick! That's quite a story you have to tell. Hopefully your remaining EOs have a safer place to spend this winter than last? And hopefully one of our US breeders can help you out with eggs or chicks.

We do have a draft standard for our North American basques. Based on the Spanish standard but formatted to try to match the APA requirements. Here is a link: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=558

We are just about to add an English translation for marraduna, we have decided on red cuckoo,min an attempt to make the breed a little less forge in sounding to those who don't speak Spanish like yourself!

Really glad to have you join us, things have been quiet on the forum over summer but I'm hoping it will get a little busier with winter on the way and there is lots of good info on here if you want to do some reading.

Also we have formed an association, the North American Basque Hen Association or NABHA for short, and are just getting our feet under us. We hope to have the website up and running before year end and be accepting membership for 2015. If you search the forum you will find a little more on that as well.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2014-10-27 11:34:44

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh and Patrick, if you could :please: add your location to your profile so we all can remember you are from Lexington Kentucky in a few months it would be appreciated! You will find the spot under Personal on the Profile tab.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2014-10-27 12:50:58

la-chicken

Welcome! :cheer:

I am very new to this breed.  Bring on the learning!!!

#5 2014-10-27 16:51:48

plbuck

My birds are now safely caged behind rabbit wire.

#6 2014-10-27 19:40:23

Shnookie

Hello and welcome from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.  It's great to read about your chickens.  :welcome:

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#7 2014-10-27 23:59:48

Flat Rock Farm

Welcome Patrick to the Forum. :thumbsup:    I have family in Owensboro, they don't have chickens though :(

Glad you are enjoying the EO's, they truly are a unique breed.  Hope you are able to hatch lots next Spring, last winter was hard on the chickens here as well and hope we don't have a repeat of it this winter :sad:.

Enjoy the forum :happycrowd"

#8 2014-10-28 00:15:15

gubi
Website

Welcome to the forum from Southwestern Ontario Canada!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2014-10-31 17:17:52

Lisa

Patrick,

Welcome, and very best of luck with your hatching! =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer