Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-09-27 22:45:01

Lisa

Results from Colwyn show

Hello EO enthusiasts! =D

There were a total of 16 EOs shown at the Colwyn this year by four people; Kathy Bauman, Helen Waring, Joe Duffield and Lisa Weaver. There were seven Marradunas and 9 Gorrias in all. One old female was shown - the rest of the birds were young cockerals or pullets, many of which still had a fair amount of growing to do. It was suggested that we hatch earlier (end of January/beg Feb) if we would like the breasts and tails to be complete on our birds by Sept show season.

Judge Elton Minnich was pleased - he noted great improvement in the birds since last year. In particular, he noted improvement in the quality of the heads, and the consistency of the colours.

He suggested that the next places to focus our attention on type (based on the birds he saw) are on the breast (none of the birds shown had deep, dropped breasts) and the tails. He noted that many of the birds shown had "weak tails" - they did not stand straight out most of the time, but tended to be held slightly to one side, particularly when the birds moved.

Judge Minnich also suggested that we carefully select our breeders taking colour into consideration. For example, some of our Marraduna girls were too light (what we have called "blondies"). He suggests that this could be corrected by pairing these girls with an overly dark male.

Judge Minnich answered many of the questions that were posed before the show. He was very careful to state that these responses are his opinions only, based on examining the draft SOP we provided to him, and pictures that he saw on the internet.
1 - The eyes are indeed oval - longer back to front than they are up and down.
2 - The fluff is correctly described as "moderate fluff". He suggested we watch some of our wider girls - if they get too wide, they will show too much fluff which would be incorrect.
3 - Using more familiar names to describe the colours of the Basque might make the breed a little more accesible to a greater number of people.
3 - He thought the best colour description for the Gorrias might be Brown-Red. As in the combination of brown and red on the same bird, not a solid colour labelled brownred.
4 - He thought we might want to look to the OEG descriptions to come up for a description for the Marradunas. He said the variety is definitely not crele, as this would involve grey. He noted that the barring on a Marraduna is irregular, and thought that something like "Red Cuckoo" might be the best description. 

As for the results:

Congratulations to the team of Gubelmann and Waring - Best of Breed with a Marraduna cockeral!

Congratulations also to Joe Duffield: Reserve Breed with a Gorria pullet!

(Joe is Lisa's neighbor who bought chicks in the spring and decided that EO's at the Colwyn would be his very first show).

Pictures and notes were taken of each individual bird, and will be shared when Helen and Lisa are recovered enough to put the pictures and notes together. Also, the birds generated enough positive attention that one of the runner up pullets was specifically sought out and sold out of the cage.

All in all, a very successful day for Basque at the Colwyn! =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2014-09-27 22:45:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-09-27 23:24:14

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Results from Colwyn show

Thanks for the quick and thorough recap Lisa! 16 Basques is a very respectable number and it's great that Judge Minnich feels the birds are moving in the right direction.

We should talk about what the right color description in English would be. You make a good point that the Spanish color descriptions do confuse people, I have experienced the same issue at shows. Red Brown Columbian might be correct for gorria although the Spanish sites send to just call them red I think so maybe Red Columbian? For Marraduna that's tougher, perhaps Red Columbian Cuckoo? It would be incorrect to refer to them as barred for sure. And what color descriptor to use remains a challenge since the red lightens a lot with the sex linked barring.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2014-09-28 00:05:37

Flat Rock Farm

Sounds like a good day, so wish I could have attended.   The judge was great to answer and clarify the terms and questions  :jumping:

:congrats: to all that showed!!  :wine: :wine:

Look forward to seeing some :pics:

#4 2014-09-28 01:20:38

gubi
Website

great job!!!  I guess we picked the right cockerel then.  Did he say anything good or bad on the pullets other then age?  Who sold and bought the runner up pullet was she a gorria or a marraduna?  Thank you Lisa, Helen, Kathy and Joe for exhibiting EO's!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2014-09-28 14:03:56

poplar girl
Administrator

So I've done some searching on color descriptions. Looked throught the APA SOP and then brought up some pictures on the internet as well.

Brown red seems to be used for birds with black on the chest and wings, for example Old English and Modern game and bantam Cochins. I have not come across any that are a sold color in the body.

There are Red (bantams) and black tailed red leghorns. When I google pictures of them they look about the color of our gorria. Same with red naked neck. Again, googling pictures of them. They look a lot like our gorria to me. So I stick with the suggestion gorria = red.

As for including or not including the Colombian descriptor, not sure. Some do, mostly for black and white birds like the Columbian Wyandotte, Columbian Plymouth rock. Lots don't like the Bramhas (but all are columbian) and the light Sussex, Delaware...

So whether to include columbian might be a choice we can make?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2014-09-28 21:28:51

Lisa

Michelle,

Terrific researching! :thumbs:

If we decide that this is a good idea, I would vote to make the names as simple as possible. If other breeds that include the columbian gene don't have to use the word, I would vote we don't. Including the word "Basque" in the breed name will be challenging enough for most people. "Red Basque" and "Cuckoo Basque" or "Red Cuckoo Basque" sounds complicated enough to me!

I think we'll need to really think about it. I actually LIKE our Spanish names, but they are hard to pronounce and spell in English, and meaningless to anyone who doesn't spend a lot of time learning about EOs.

Stefan, sorry I wasn't very clear! The pullet that was purchased was actually 6th of the 6 shown in the gorria category. She had good type, but lots of black. This totally knocked her down point-wise at the show (although her egg laying ability will be stellar, and she is very pretty!). "Runner up" was perhaps a bit kind.... :)

She was purchased by a family to be part of a very small urban flock. Her pen mates will be a cochin and a silkie if I recall correctly. She'll have them whipped into shape in no time.... =D

Last edited by Lisa (2014-09-28 21:32:40)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#7 2014-09-29 00:28:17

gubi
Website

gotcha!  Now where are the pics?  :whistle:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2014-09-29 00:44:38

Lisa

Oh Helen...... ;)

#9 2014-10-07 18:15:23

Helliefant

Working on it!

#10 2014-10-08 15:54:51

Island Girl

This is so wonderful to read, I really missed showing  my EOs this year, it would have been my fourth year in a row. I am eager to see the pictures as well, thanks so much for sharing this info everyone.

XOX Monika

#11 2014-10-21 17:37:33

Helliefant

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s493/Helliefant/71793178f707539d1ee06a1c889b67e8.jpg

#12 2014-10-21 17:43:43

Helliefant

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s493/Helliefant/f4b9264ec4acc31000686f906b5fef2a.jpg

#13 2014-10-21 20:01:48

Flat Rock Farm

VERY NICE!!!  :excited:

#14 2014-10-22 00:31:20

gubi
Website

you guys did a great job getting those guys ready for the show!

#15 2014-10-22 01:16:06

poplar girl
Administrator

They look very nice, I would be more than pleased to have either of those marraduna cockerel in my breeding flock! FRF and Gubi....need to talk about a hatching egg purchase for spring 2015, ideally early April :whistle:

#16 2014-10-22 11:47:23

Flat Rock Farm

poplar girl wrote:

They look very nice, I would be more than pleased to have either of those marraduna cockerel in my breeding flock! FRF and Gubi....need to talk about a hatching egg purchase for spring 2015, ideally early April :whistle:

:thumbs:

#17 2014-10-23 01:02:59

la-chicken

OHHH!
I might be flying out in April!!!!

I am very new to this breed.  Bring on the learning!!!

Adverts

Board footer