Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-10-18 14:53:23

Shnookie

EO weights

The weights listed in the EO standard are 8 pounds for cocks, and 5.5 pounds for hens.  At what age would you expect them to reach these weights?

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

2014-10-18 14:53:23

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-10-18 15:32:13

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: EO weights

The APA definition of a cock and hen (vs a cockerel and a pullet) are birds one year of age and older.  So they must reach those weight by the age of 1 year. Obviously growing is a gradual process that starts off fast, slows down and then eventually stops so it's hard to say exactly when prior to 1 year you would expect them to reach those weights.

I have been trying to pay attention to the dressed weight of some of my EO cockerels and cocks this year as I find I never, or at least rarely, make time to weight the birds when they are alive.

The youngest cockerels I butchered were 17 weeks old. They ranged from about 2.5 to 4.0 lbs dressed. The Internet says dressed weight is about 70-75% of dressed weight wog (without giblets :)) so they would have been about 3.5 to 5.7 lbs.

I also processed 5 one to two year old EO roosters. They dressed out between and 4.75 and 5.75 lbs so we're about 6.75 to 8.2 lbs live weight.

My best bunch of cockerels for size this year but meaner than a...well really mean :whistle:...were just over 21 weeks at butcher and would have been 6.0 to 6.7 live weight which I though was pretty good.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer