Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-09-27 01:16:34

Flat Rock Farm

What do you make of these pullets??

I hatched these 4 pullets from my last hatch in July.  I kept these 4 behind as I was not sure about their feather colour.

Not sure what to make of them and if I should keep them, any opinions welcome.  Please disregard the Brabanter cockerel photo bombing, LOL

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_1697640x480_zpsa8fe7bef.jpg http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_1698640x480_zps1dff8a7d.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_1699640x480_zps59ddd73f.jpg http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/IMG_1700640x480_zps7c399259.jpg

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2014-09-27 01:25:07)

2014-09-27 01:16:34

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-09-27 12:33:10

gubi
Website

Re: What do you make of these pullets??

I like the color on them.  My favorite is the pullet that is front and center in most pictures.  A couple of them do have a bit too much black like most of mine do too.  I had one pullet colored like these too but mine had some white in her too so she was sold as a layer.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2014-09-27 13:29:39

poplar girl
Administrator

Wow are they showing their barring! I'd like to to make the connection between nice tight barring on a rooster and what type of barring you would expect to see on him mom or his daughters. Maybe this is the type of barring we can expect to see on the females if the males have nice clear, tight cuckoo barring? I really don't want to be worrying about "male" and "female" breeding pens. One of the Spanish pages I was trying to translate last week I think said that clearer barring in the hens was preferred if I'm not misinterpreting.

I also like the pullet Gubi pointed out the best. Bright yellow legs (no greenish ting), not much black, nice size.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2014-09-27 22:03:08

Flat Rock Farm

The "favorite" one you chose gubi is my friendly girl.  Well they were not hatched from my birds and I kept one cockerel back, he is light but had no sprigs and had nice yellow legs.  There is one pullet in picture  #4 at the back in front of the cockerel that was from M&K's eggs.
Yes PG they are REALLY showing their barring, I have just never had them like that in any of my birds or ones I have hatched from "local" people in ON.  I just did not know if they would be worthy as breeders or if they should just go into the layer flock??

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2014-09-28 11:40:34)

#5 2014-09-28 00:44:26

gubi
Website

I would at least keep your friendly girl and see how she matures

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2014-09-28 13:06:46

poplar girl
Administrator

If it were me I'd test mate the one Gubi picked out (can we call her Stefanie?) if she looks good closer to spring. Having you point out the pullet from M&K I can definitely see these little girls are really barred in comparison. Have you seen pictures of the parents?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2014-09-28 14:33:00

Flat Rock Farm

Stefanie, I like it!!  :thumbsup:    I just have never seen a  feather version of pullet like them before.  No I have not seen pictures of the parents, it was an egg exchange.

Well I can just hang on to them until Spring and see what they mature out like.  If all else I can keep them for layers.

#8 2014-09-29 22:11:14

karaandblue
Website

Please excuse my newbie ignorance - but wouldnt the clearest barring in the Basques be similar to the type of barring one would look for in lets say Barred Rocks or other cuckoo coloured breeds? 
I know clear barring on young chicks is a good indication of clear barring on post-juvenile birds - so thinking colour-wise, you have some good up and coming pullets!

#9 2014-10-01 11:24:25

poplar girl
Administrator

I tend to agree with you Kara. My fear is we will try to select for solid coloured females and clearly barred males and cause ours,eves a whole lot of grief because the two do not result from the same birds. Then the "best breeders" have male and female breeding lines and I think that's a slippery slope.

A hard thing to test but it would be interesting to try. FRF did you get any cockerels from the same cross, how was their barring?

#10 2014-10-01 12:01:12

Flat Rock Farm

That's true most of the other "barred" breeds the hens do have barring.  The Marraduna I guess are the exception as they should be the colour of the pullet standing in from of the EO cockerel.???  I have Bielefelder's and the roosters look VERY close to the Marraduna and the hens have barring. :huh:

PG the cockerel in 3rd picture is from that same hatch, not a great shot of him but he is very light.  I have never seen the breeding birds that the eggs came from or if they were from the same breeding pen(s)???

I will just keep them and see how they mature.  I have had grey, millie and blondies in the past but none with this predominant barring so was just curious as I am not into the genetic stuff :Crazy:

Adverts

Board footer