Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-08-13 18:01:17

Flat Rock Farm

What's everyone been up to??

It has been so quiet on the forum lately.  Figure everyone has been busy enjoying the summer......or working hard!!

So what has everyone been up to??

I know I am going through the barn to see who is staying and who is going to get the numbers down before winter.

Canning and freezing all the bounty from my gardens this year as well. :eat:

Finally to get going to build some pens in the bottom of the barn for the winter.  TSC just emailed that my Hardware Fabric that I ordered online is in......finally!!    DH has his new shop so the bottom of the barn is mine...muuhaahaa :chairhide:  It will be nice to have pens on a concrete floor and walls (to pressure wash off), no stairs to go in and out of the barn, plus the water line does not freeze down there.  I am pumped about that!!!  :excited:   The temp stays above freezing down there all winter so should have no frozen combs and wattles, don't want to go through a winter like last year!!

2014-08-13 18:01:17

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-08-14 11:30:37

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: What's everyone been up to??

Mostly trying to keep up!! It's been an unusually hot summer here and up until a few weeks ago lots of rain as well so lots of hay and weeds and lawn to mow. Our pea crop (all 6 acres ;)) will be ready to combine tomorrow. Wheat probably in a another week or two if the heat keeps up. We are making all our own feed this year so lots of extra work.

We have been battling skunks too. Egg eating skunks in the spring but we trapped them eventually. Now this week I have lost two of my most special d'uccles to a baby skunk killing my chickens :( the skunk is no more but there are so many around I think it's just a matter of time before i have more problems.

Your new space in the barn sounds like it will be really nice Paula. So you are going to try to keep the top empty over winter? For me winter keeps my chicken numbers (all animals really!) in check so it's a good thing.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2014-08-14 17:20:23

Flat Rock Farm

Wow you have heat and we have had an unseasonably cool Summer, plus enough rain that we have not had a drought so far this year.  It's fine by me as I don't tolerate the real hot humid stuff.

Yes PG am hoping to at least half the birds in the bottom.  The smaller combed breeds like the Brabanters and Araucanas will still be housing upstairs.

Hope you can keep the skunks at bay!! :gunslinger:

#4 2014-08-15 02:31:01

Maggiesdad

Mild weather here in the Mid Atlantic, decent rains, excellent crops, canning and preserving like crazy. Oldest moved out  3 weeks ago, second oldest off to college in a week, what little hair I have left is going white, Worst ever predator pressure this year, can't afford fencing upgrades -foxes, 'coons, hawks, owls, even black snakes in the brooders and nest boxes... 5 so far this year - sheesh.

Set hundreds of EO eggs this year, < 50% hatch rate. :( ...>50% males, and after predators only a handful of survivors at 14 wks... really disappointing. Oh well - doing the best I can. Hope others are having good success this season.:hi:

#5 2014-08-15 03:33:37

la-chicken

Me? Decided I wanted new flooring.  Which in turns mean….painting ceiling to floor.  Cleaning out rooms and getting organized.

My daughter moved out…..so I have been helping her move.  And yes, I am so missing her.  So I am staying busy.
Back to work at the school, watching CFL and cheering on the Calgary Stampeders.

DH put a new water hydrant in a chicken run .  So that means easy water in the winter for the coops and the big runs.  Have not looked at birds yet.  But, will do so in September.  Then start filling the freezer.

Garden growing.  Berries are ready to be picked.   And trying to get everything done before the snow flies. 
Our to do list is getting shorter

I am very new to this breed.  Bring on the learning!!!

#6 2014-08-15 10:50:01

Flat Rock Farm

Oh la-chicken your daughter moved out, I know how that feels :(.  When son moved out 3 years ago it was the worst feeling, I never let on how much I REALLY missed him.  He fessed up that he was home sick for almost a year, guess that's why he kept coming by the house so often.  Plus I think he missed his Momma's cookin, LOL.

@ MD I am so sorry to hear you have such a terrible predator problem, guess the critters have been spreading the word :sad:

Glad to know everyone is still out there :happycrowd"

#7 2014-08-16 01:33:59

yardbirds

some of my birdies....

....... and a still shot ..... ( EE, 2 GLWs, and Cream Brabanter with a GLW cockerel in behind )

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q538/yardbirds23/HPIM22882_zps627d3669.jpg

and building the new shed/coop....a work in progress with time pressing...

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q538/yardbirds23/11461389-00f3-4469-8df0-8ac78df6668a_zps1d5f99fd.jpg

Last edited by yardbirds (2014-09-03 11:38:01)

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#8 2014-08-16 11:44:04

Flat Rock Farm

Great pictures yardbirds :jumping:

Very nice GLW and don't you just love the Brabanter!!  I love the way they turn their heads to have a look at you, reminds me of my dog when she tips her head from side to side when she is listening to me.

Your chickies look like they will have some nice new digs :thumbs:, hope you can finish before the YUK comes......... :snowman: :sick:

#9 2014-08-16 13:00:55

yardbirds

I do love the Brabanter!  She looks wonderful to me and am thinking as she matures she may have even more tiny little hearts on her.  :thanks:  =D

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#10 2014-08-18 02:20:58

Shnookie

You have pretty chickens yardbirds. 

My barn blew part way over during the storms we had last weekend.  :(  It will fall the rest of the way one of these days.  As a result, I have been looking for another building for the chickens, cleaning up the yard, and trying to keep up with the mowing.  We have been getting rain at least 4 days a week lately, and the humidity has been high constantly.  I thought I was going to lose my chickens the other day when the humidex went to 40.  The barn they were in had been around 75, and now they are in a steel building that really heats up with the sun.  Add the humidity and they are not doing well. Eggs have almost stopped, feathers are dropping, and I feel bad for them.  They are in rabbit cages and dog crates with little room to move.  Now I see some rats have been getting in.  My barn cat lives in there at night and I am hoping that he can keep the chickens safe.  Insurance says the damage to my barn is not an emergency and they have no idea when an adjuster will be out.  I suspect I will not get another barn until next year. :sad:

So, that's what I have been doing.  Not how I planned to spend my summer.

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#11 2014-08-18 12:30:45

yardbirds

:( sorry to hear about all of your circumstances Shnookie, especially your barn... Sometimes I long for the days of yesteryear, and a good old fashioned barn raising bee.  Hoping you find a new barn that can be brought out to you, as you are seeking.  :hug:

In the mean time, is there any possible way to salvage any of the lumber from the fallen barn and build even a shed to house your birds, or even find an old grainary building?

Last edited by yardbirds (2014-08-19 03:40:57)

Adverts

Board footer