Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-07-05 16:35:44

Shnookie

Tail shapes

I was reading this post yesterday, and I looked at the Penedesenca pictures.  If the EOs were crossed with Penedesencas, that could explain the roosters like my rooster # 2 that have 2 long arching tail feathers instead of the sickle shaped tail feathers I've seen in pictures of Spanish EO roos, like my rooster #1 has.  Do you agree?

http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1292

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

2014-07-05 16:35:44

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-07-05 21:02:13

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Tail shapes

In pictures of basques from both Spain and North America I have seen varying lengths to the tail feathers. Some seem to have all shorter tail feathers and some have the longer sickle feathers in the tail. As it's hard to know the age of the birds in the photos I sometimes am not sure if the shorter tails are just younger birds.

Our EO SOP states:

TAIL:  Moderately large.  Carried at an angle of 45 degrees (45 °) above horizontal. Main tail feathers broad and overlapping. Sickles of medium length, well arched.

That description should match the Spanish standard.

I am not very knowledgable about penedesenca but I don't know if their tails are any different than an EO's tail?

TAIL: Developed, very inhabited of feathers and open. It has two longer feathers well curved (with sickle form), inserted in angle of 45º through the horizontal.

http://www.freewebs.com/penedesenca/pen … m#34773855

When I look at the pictures of your two older roosters I can't clearly see what you mean, they both look to me to have sickles feathers somewhat longer than the rest of the tail.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer