Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-06-27 16:03:54

hollowridge

This years Flock

Here are a few pictures.  This is Max the last remaining rooster from this bunch.  I really wanted to keep him but hubby not so much, and if he soon doesn’t quiet down I am not sure if I can save him.  His crow started out like the theme song to “Get Smart”, hence the name Max.  I like I lot about him our other rooster doesn’t have the yellow legs and way too much grey in his chest.  This fellow has some but not a lot.  6 points, nice and broad, good with the ladies, getting used to us, but his hackle feathers not quite right I think.  Will take any and all comments on him.  He is also in the next picture.
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/max2_zpsaed7ad1a.jpg

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/max1_zps6abcfd01.jpg
This little girl has a lot of reddish colour to her.  Not right we know but good for eggs we hope.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/cinnamon_zpsd2145b5d.jpg
We have 2 pullets like this.  Looks good, a few extra speckles we think.  Love to hear comments.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/speckles_zpsaa2785b5.jpg

We also have two pullets like this one.  Not sure if you can get a good look at the colour but the one on the ground has the same colouring.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/peaches_zps7a4f4798.jpg

Okay that is this years E.O.’s.

2014-06-27 16:03:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-06-27 17:48:57

Flat Rock Farm

Re: This years Flock

Very nice hollowridge.  I like your rooster, at least he does not have too much black in his hackle feathers, nice comb and leg/beak colour.  I would keep him.  Your girlies are lovely too, I breed my couple reddish hens and have had good results with offspring, I wouldn't disqualify them.  At least they are not speckled or grey those are harder to breed out.

Thanks for sharing your pictures!! :happycrowd"

#3 2014-06-28 11:19:43

hollowridge

:thanks: FRF,
The Rooster and the girls were from eggs we got from Riverbend this spring and was a result of your eggs and his existing flock.  We did manage to hatch 2 from our little E.O. numbers but only got two roosters that had the white legs.

Our older rooster is from the eggs of yours that Riverbend hatched.  Nice rooster, kind, and friendly, never worry about your back.  But he has white legs and lots of black on his chest.  Going to try him with this years and hope that we get the yellow legs read that it is more dominate then the white, I think that is what I read.  Don't want to breed siblings together, will try him with our two E.O. hens and our other breeds so that I can justify keeping him.

And I am glad to her about breeding with the redder pullet, I thought she may have been out of contention.  :thumbsup:

#4 2014-06-28 11:52:06

Maggiesdad

I like that rooster, too! I wish he could keep that awesome tail barring as his spurs get longer...   they are all nice looking birds. :love:

#5 2014-06-28 13:02:32

poplar girl
Administrator

I think you've done a pretty fine job of selecting who to keep hollowridge. Your young rooster does have too much grey but not terrible. Most important though if you're anything like me is whether he has a good enough personality.

Your pullets look nice, I had one like your red barred I used for breeding this year to gorria. I had some of her offspring turn our way too dark, mahogany almost, but one pullet is lovely in my opinion (I posted pics of her, she has a few speckles). Your other pullets look to have pretty good marraduna EO traits.

Something I battle with the marraduna and I see evidence of it in your birds is the greenish legs. As the rooster gets older the barring gene masked the green legs in them and even the girls it become less noticible but at the age your are now you can see it pretty clearly.

As for your white legged rooster, you need to figure out if he carries the gene for yellow legs. If he does half the babies will have yellow legs if you use him with yellow legged hens. Although white legs look really wrong if you keep breeding white legged birds to yellow it will eventually go away so not so terrible a trait to fix later on.

Thanks for sharing!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2014-06-29 11:03:37

hollowridge

Maggiesdad wrote:

I like that rooster, too! I wish he could keep that awesome tail barring as his spurs get longer...   they are all nice looking birds. :love:

So you are saying that he may loose the barring in his tail?  I knew they changed some in colouring but didn't know that this was a problem that happened.  :shock:  This is a bit harder then the good old days of chicken keeping.  :chook:

#7 2014-06-29 11:24:53

hollowridge

poplar girl wrote:

I think you've done a pretty fine job of selecting who to keep hollowridge. Your young rooster does have too much grey but not terrible. Most important though if you're anything like me is whether he has a good enough personality.

Your pullets look nice, I had one like your red barred I used for breeding this year to gorria. I had some of her offspring turn our way too dark, mahogany almost, but one pullet is lovely in my opinion (I posted pics of her, she has a few speckles). Your other pullets look to have pretty good marraduna EO traits.

Something I battle with the marraduna and I see evidence of it in your birds is the greenish legs. As the rooster gets older the barring gene masked the green legs in them and even the girls it become less noticible but at the age your are now you can see it pretty clearly.

As for your white legged rooster, you need to figure out if he carries the gene for yellow legs. If he does half the babies will have yellow legs if you use him with yellow legged hens. Although white legs look really wrong if you keep breeding white legged birds to yellow it will eventually go away so not so terrible a trait to fix later on.

Thanks for sharing!!

I have been trying to follow and choose close to the standard.  As for personality, so far so good.  He wasn't top bird, other breeds with him but he was one of three that we picked out to watch.  Hubby has a hard time when they start getting into it and we don't have the space to separate that many birds so they went to "Freezerland"  I managed to keep this one for awhile.  :please:

:huh: So the greenish yellow is that a big problem, something to keep away from.

The white legged rooster had two this year,both roosters,  but both of the girls that they came from had the white legs.  Actually one started out with the light yellow and has a hint of it now but not much, so I am hoping that he does have it, we don't want to breed siblings so those girls will be with him next spring and we will see.  "Rico" has won my hubbies heart, and he is a good bird, just doesn't fit well into the colour standards of feathers and legs. 
Next spring time will tell.  Will have lots to think about and read up on.

#8 2014-06-29 12:20:49

poplar girl
Administrator

Greenish legs are not to the SOP, a defect but not a disqualification, but obviously for egg and meat production that are not important. And the green tend to become less obvious even in the pullets as they get older.

With the white legs it is really white skin colour so you will see yellow around the eye and on the beak of the birds that have white legs but carry the gene for yellow legs.

Flatrock, could both parents of the white legged rooster have had white legs or only one?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2014-06-29 15:26:53

Flat Rock Farm

In my breeding pens I only put in a yellow legged rooster in with white and yellow legged hens.  I think the question should have been asked to RB as HR's birds are a cross of mine and his.  :huh:

#10 2014-07-02 12:08:37

hollowridge

:thanks:  I will do some work on this.  I was trying to see the eye colour like you said and not sure if you mean to look at the skin or the eye itself.  His beak is white with a splash of dark on it and a little orange.

We are hot and humid here for the next bunch of days so when it cools down I will try and get a good picture and send off.  Our poor birds are really minding this heat wave since it came on so quick.  Last night at the fireworks it was +25 and overnight it only dropped to +20.  :sick:

#11 2014-07-02 13:01:14

Flat Rock Farm

You will have relief from the humidity soon, it just broke here so the system is coming your way.  Was pretty sticky here the past 5 days :sick:

#12 2014-07-02 15:40:45

hollowridge

That will be nice for us and the birds but we have a possible Hurricane coming in on Saturday.  :rain:  50+ mm and 100 km winds.  We are out trying to do damage control before it hits.  My flower gardens are looking so nice, it always happens when something is in full bloom. :chairhide:

Adverts

Board footer