Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-04-19 13:19:29

Amblecroft
Website

New chicks

I wasn't so lucky as Popular Girl in my hatch rate but I probably wasn't as attentive either.  So there are only 7 new EOs this weekend in Ontario.   Better than nothing!

I had 15 eggs from my last year's September PQ-X hatch hens.  I had 6 hatch, 4 were fully formed inside but didn't pip/hatch and 5 were not fertile. 

I had another 5 eggs in the incubator from the original PQ hens (the ones I got from Quebec of which I only have 3 and think only 1 is laying).  Out of those 5 only 1 hatched but 3 were fully formed and didn't pip.  I'd like to get more of those eggs hatched.

So that was 14 fertile eggs from 20. :wine:

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

2014-04-19 13:19:29

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-04-19 13:22:42

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: New chicks

:congrats: on your new EO babies Amblecroft. I agree hatch as many of those PQ eggs as you can. Almost sacrilege to eat any!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2014-04-19 14:41:48

Amblecroft
Website

I was out this morning feeding and the old PQ girl was sitting in the next box getting ready for her daily performance :layer:  and she is making little groaning sounds as though she's putting out an ostrich egg!  Voila!  It was so funny to hear her.  I am marking those eggs so I know they are from the originals.

#4 2014-04-20 00:00:16

Flat Rock Farm

:congrats: :jumping:  At least you hatched some, I always say some is better than none!!

I will have to post more recent pics of your babies.  One I can tell for sure is a cockerel.  I do have this mini EO chick, it's half the size of it's hatch-mates and has just started to get some wing feathers.  Not sure what will become if it, it's soooo tiny compared to the others.

Need some :pics: :please:

#5 2014-04-20 00:05:17

gubi
Website

:congrats: :chickout: I got a pip on an EO egg so there could be more Eo chicks in Ontario by tomorrow. I got one Spitz chick out already.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2014-04-20 00:13:05

aarzuaga

Zorionak :congrats:

#7 2014-04-20 18:55:55

Amblecroft
Website

Flat Rock, I also have one smaller chick in the bunch that just hatched.  Maybe we are starting a bantam variety :whistle:

I was just out with the chickens, enjoying the sunshine.  Thinking of my next breeding plans.  I think I should take a rooster from this new Easter hatch, which would be 75% PQ bloodlines and breed it to my 2 year old hens who are from Flat Rock and my early originals. 

And take my Flat Rock rooster and put him with my original PQ hens since I only have 3 hens from that very same same breeding last year.

I think I need a divider in my incubator, too!

#8 2014-04-21 02:09:17

Flat Rock Farm

Neat, bantam EO's!!!  :thumbsup:

Adverts

Board footer