Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-03-31 00:44:50

yardbirds

My First Hatch of the Year (not EOs)

My first hatch of the year as a test for the little electric hen  aka  Brinsea mini eco incubator

Awaiting Cream Brabanter, EO, and possibly some Swedish Flower eggs from our very own FRF this week.  :excited:

The EO's will be hatched by another local hatchaholic in exchange for a couple of pullets.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q538/yardbirds23/HPIM1681_zps6d543724.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q538/yardbirds23/HPIM1690_zpsc7910bf1.jpg

:chickout: :excited:  :chickout:  :excited:  :chickout:  :excited:  :chickout:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

2014-03-31 00:44:50

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-03-31 11:46:43

Flat Rock Farm

Re: My First Hatch of the Year (not EOs)

:congrats: :excited: :love:

YB your eggs are packed on my dining room table waiting to go to the PO within the hour :thumbsup:

#3 2014-03-31 12:02:56

yardbirds

:jumping:  Thanks Paula!  :nervous: about how they arrive, but very excited.  :Canada:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#4 2014-03-31 12:07:06

poplar girl
Administrator

Aren't they adorable :love: I prefer small hatches as you spend way more time with each chick that way. A big group all at once and the individual personality of each chick is lost to the masses.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2014-03-31 16:35:15

Flat Rock Farm

Eggs on their way......:roadtrip:.  Well I hope not that bumpy!!

#6 2014-04-01 02:25:11

aarzuaga

Beautiful. They are awesome. :congrats:

#7 2014-04-01 02:27:23

Flat Rock Farm

I forgot to ask, what breeds are they??

#8 2014-04-01 10:00:46

yardbirds

=D  The one dark w/white puffy cheeks is a true ameraucana and the others are EE's with the darker one coming from a brown egg and could have some brahma cross in it but the roo was a pure blue ameraucana.  There is a 6th one that hatched a day later with major assistance.  It is a cream color with lots of spots.  It was from the smallest green to olive green color egg.  The outer membrane was soooo thick, there was no way it was hatching on its own.  It "hatched" with umbilical cord and a very small amount of yolk sac still attached....was very sticky slimey and I had to leave a partial bit of shell (the size of a looney) still attached while the yolk sac absorbed and umbilical cord dried and fell off.  That happened overnight in the towel lined hovabator I use to brood them for the first 24 hours or so...kind of like a hospital (prepped for hatches)  It is/was a much smaller chick and seems to be doing ok...weaker at first but is gaining strength and not as wobbly as it finds it's sea legs.  The jury is still out on whether this one will make it, and it will be segregated for today  and probably tomorrow before it joins its little flock mates.  I want to make sure it has a fighting chance with those robust siblings that almost appear double in size with only a 24 hour age difference.  Hatch day was Saturday, and there were 3 remaining EE eggs that hadn't pipped as of yesterday morning and after candling them, saw wonky looking air cells and no internal pips and although they were alive and moving...I thought if those membranes are as thick and they have as much struggle to hatch on their own, it would be better if they didn't.  One baby needing special care is all I could handle being at work and not having time coddle more than one.  This one if it makes it will probably end up being a real pet with all the handling and attention its getting...more so with it bonding with me...than the other way around...but I feel responsible for it since I assisted its entrance into this world.  That's my story, and am stickin to it...like an inner membrane... :lol:

This was a test hatch in the brinsea mini eco that had no instructions regarding a "vent plug" on it's spout.  Should it be in or out?  No response from Brinsea to email and the phone call to Brinsea in Florida resulted in go ahead and use the incubator with it out...it will just mean better ventilation.  I incubated the eggs with the plug out, as when it was in the humidity was at 70%.  Were the thick outer membranes caused by too much ventilation...possibly...but the chicks that are pictured popped out in record time with 4 hatching within minutes of each other after having been pipped for a couple of hours or so and their membranes weren't as thick.  :huh:   Wish me luck Paula, with your eggs... :nervous:
:surfing:

Last edited by yardbirds (2014-04-01 10:03:30)

#9 2014-04-01 11:00:46

poplar girl
Administrator

As long as the incubator can sustain humidity levels where you want them (I incubate at 35% humidity to day 18 and then increase to 65%) then more ventilation is good.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer