Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-03-23 18:35:45

poplar girl
Administrator

Things that make you go hummmm

I am having a successful year for hatching overall. Pretty good fertility with the exception of Little Guy, around 80-90%. And I think around 80-90% hatch rate on fertile eggs. Overall I am pretty happy.

Then there is my exception. I have set and hatched eggs twice from one gorria pair. The two are fairly closely related, same father different mother but they were the two best of last year's gorria so I thought I'd take a chance and mate them. The pullet lays lots of eggs. The shape is fairly round but aside from that they are beautiful eggs. Any I have broke open no blood or meat spots. Fertility is good with most of the eggs fertile and all that are fertile making it to lock down.

So all seems good. But the hatch rate is dismal. 2 chicks from 6 eggs the first try. 1 chick from 9 eggs the second. The chicks don't even internally pip. And all three were born at the end of the hatch. I don't have the stomach to do a breakout analysis on the eggs so I didn't open any. Both times I hatched another hens eggs at the same time and had a good hatch rate so it shouldn't be environmental.

Chicks that have hatched are perfectly healthy.

Any idea what the problem might be? Round eggs? Inbreeding?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2014-03-23 18:35:45

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-03-23 19:26:02

Maggiesdad

Re: Things that make you go hummmm

Egg shaped eggs hatch the best. I've notice in my experience that torpedo eggs, porous shells, two-toned eggs (with a demarcation line at the midpoint) and round eggs don't hatch well, even if they are fertile and develop.  Let your initial culling be the perfect eggs that you set for incubation. The shell is a mirror of the condition of the shell gland of the hen.

#3 2014-03-23 22:41:16

poplar girl
Administrator

Wow are there a lot of reasons to cull :shock:! It's a good thing I like to eat chicken :eat:

Any idea which parent the shape of the egg is most influenced MD? I'm wondering what shape of egg to expect from the three chicks that hatched...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2014-03-24 16:27:45

karaandblue
Website

This is quite interesting MD and PG - I knew about the porous but not sure about the rest of it for sure - very neat I will keep an eye on this from now on!

Adverts

Board footer