Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-01-10 13:05:44

poplar girl
Administrator

Did you hear that?

I think it was the sound of a pin drop....

It's been VERY quiet on our forum the past while but no posts at all the past few days so I thought I'd check to make sure everything is still working!

What's everyone busy doing? Aside from Riverbend is anyone else starting to plan or implement their 2014 hatching?

I planned out my 2014 breeding program on New Year's day and set up the first 4 pairs last Sunday. I have now started to collect eggs so in less than 2 weeks I will set the first eggs in the incubator. :hatch:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2014-01-10 13:05:44

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-01-10 13:27:15

hollowridge

Re: Did you hear that?

Yes we are, we are looking at collecting end of this month from a potential of 5 of our hens and we are getting 2 dozen E.O hatching eggs from Riverbend to set with them the first of February.   Getting so excited can hardly wait. :excited: We are gearing things up now to get ready.

Question though.  Does anyone have a problem with hatching chicks disturbing the other eggs?:hatch:  We were concerned with that last year. :nervous:  You would see an egg with a pip in it and then a chick trying to get free of its shell, would run it over and the pip would be on the bottom.  Does this cause any problems that anyone can see?
:huh:

#3 2014-01-10 13:28:48

Maggiesdad

:chairhide: I didn't hear anything. :huh:

Putting some BCMs in this weekend for fun, but the EO hens I plan hatching from aren't laying well enough yet.

#4 2014-01-10 13:30:34

Maggiesdad

hollowridge wrote:

Yes we are, we are looking at collecting end of this month from a potential of 5 of our hens and we are getting 2 dozen E.O hatching eggs from Riverbend to set with them the first of February.   Getting so excited can hardly wait. :excited: We are gearing things up now to get ready.

Question though.  Does anyone have a problem with hatching chicks disturbing the other eggs?:hatch:  We were concerned with that last year. :nervous:  You would see an egg with a pip in it and then a chick trying to get free of its shell, would run it over and the pip would be on the bottom.  Does this cause any problems that anyone can see?

You can hatch 'em big end up in a paper egg carton. Helps with egg soccer problems.

#5 2014-01-10 13:31:03

gubi
Website

Digging out from underneath all the snow we got!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2014-01-10 13:40:57

Flat Rock Farm

I thought the same thing PG....where is everybody??  :chairhide:

I know myself, with this cold snap we had earlier this week I was just trying to keep the birds going.  I NEVER want to hear "Polar Vortex" again, that was brutally cold -40C with wind chill.  Lost one Swedish Flower Hen pullet, she was not thriving well even when I got her in the Fall, I doctored her up, but I think still had a weakened system and she succumbed to the cold.  All my breeds with larger combs (EO's, CS,SFH) all got frostbitten combs and wattles.  One Brabanter cockerel didn't perch the one night and got frostbitten toes, looks nasty but am doing epsom salt soaks and he is on antibiotics to prevent infection.  Next winter the birds are getting moved to the bottom of the barn where it stays a bit warmer!!!

Now hatching plans.........:whistle:  I am expecting SFH and CS eggs from BC in March so am planning that as my first set.  Will also do a test hatch of EO's and Araucana's for fertility at the same time.  No earlier as I want no chicks in my basement this year, the dust just about drove me wild last winter/spring!!  :stomp:

Other than that, I have also started my spring cleaned and purging............

#7 2014-01-10 13:52:24

la-chicken

Year end books (4)  is what so exciting in my world!
Basket ball season is in full swing and chickens are getting their needs met BUT need to wait a couple of weeks for the big clean and seperation.

Set Turkey Eggs for the kids at work.
OH! better get dressed for work!

I am very new to this breed.  Bring on the learning!!!

#8 2014-01-10 14:38:49

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

hollowridge wrote:

You can hatch 'em big end up in a paper egg carton. Helps with egg soccer problems.

I agree! I always hatch in cartons as well.

Sounds like there will be some chicks in the not too distant future for a few of us :)

Gubi I am SO :sick: of shoveling snow (and my DH of pushing snow) it isn't even funny so I sympathize! It has snowed at least a little virtually every day here the past month!!!

FRF I am sorry to hear about your chickens faring poorly with the cold. Has your weather started to improve?

And la-chicken, will that make Chris the :turkey: a daddy again? No eating all his babies this year :no no:

Really I'm just happy to hear from everyone, I was beginning to get worried :nervous:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2014-01-10 14:40:05

Flat Rock Farm

Oh ya thanks for reminding me la-chicken.  I have been doing year end for DH's business.  I also am doing receipt organization for my Brother as well for his year end.  Wonder why I am not :Crazy: (no comments)!!!   LOL

#10 2014-01-10 14:47:00

Flat Rock Farm

@ PG yes the weather has improved, today's high will be +1C,  Water line has managed to burp and I have water in the barn again (even thought there is a heater on the line).  Brabanter cockerel I think may loose most of his toes on the one foot and will be left with a stump :sad:.  He is still very alert, eating, drinking and even walking on it.   I feel sick and angry as I take such good care of my birds and over the 23 years I have had chickens I have only ever had some slight comb tip frost bite with the cockerels.

#11 2014-01-10 15:29:29

hollowridge

:thanks: MD & PG, for the egg carton suggestion.  We were wondering about that, but wasn't sure if it was a good idea.

#12 2014-01-10 18:05:58

Lisa

HR,

I use egg cartons as well. Just hollow out the bottom of them to allow the air to flow, and you're all set! Also has a TREMENDOUS advantage at clean up time. =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#13 2014-01-10 18:07:38

gubi
Website

Sorry to hear that Paula,  I do have on EO cockerel here too that got some frost bite on his comb, the rest are all fine.  The heat lamps even managed to keep the water from freezing solid.  We had so much snow blowing around.  Waterlines freeze and burst, stable cleaner break.  I'm sure glad my beard is getting bushy trying to get a the stable cleaner to work and spending the better part of 2 hours outside in -40 windchill, I wished it would cover my nose too!!!  The young guy that helps me do chores at night after school got disoriented on his way home Monday night in the storm and ended up ditching his snowmobile in the creek which is about a kilometer off his path he usually takes.  He's OK he walked to the neighbors home and stayed the night.  They went looking for his snowmobile on Wednesday after the storm and found it after about 4 hours of searching with long stick pocking through the snow.  It had sunk into the river and only the windshield was sticking out of the water.  Was he ever lucky!
Our local milk truck drivers were all stuck in different towns on Monday night to Wednesday as they couldn't make it back home so Wednesday was super busy for them trying to pick up all the Wednesday milk and the Tuesday milk!  We were lucky we got picked up on Monday because we don't have enough room in our tank to hold another days milk so we would have had to dump all the milk in our tank which is a huge loss and creates a lot of problems.  We can't just open the tap and let it into the septic system, the whole system would plug up as the milk turns into cheese.   This was the worst storm anyone can remember and we are glad it's over.  Now onto the freezing rain and then the inch of rain and +6 for tomorrow which creates a whole other mess out there with all this snow!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#14 2014-01-10 19:01:11

Flat Rock Farm

Wow Stefan, your fellow that helps with the chore sounds like he is one lucky young man.  That's scary :nervous:  I can see that happening when you have white out conditions, very easy to get disoriented.
Yes the rain coming tomorrow is going to be another nightmare as well. they are calling for 15-20mm here add that on top of the snow and frozen ground that can't absorb it.  FLOODING!!!

#15 2014-01-14 12:24:45

Micah and Kiah

Dennis and I are about done digging out from the blizzard.  The warm spell this past weekend got ideas into the hens heads and everyone is laying up a storm!  We have the sportsman full and plugged in last night to check fertility levels.  This first group we'll reverse for ourselves for potential replacement breeding and show stock.  Then the rest of the group will be sold at Mount forest or privately.

We have to lovely breeding groups of Maradunas this year, one large Gorria group and then my beloved Milles.

Chicken farming and working full time don't mix as well as I'd like.  I don't seem to get a spare moment right now. If you need to reach us feel free to email

Hope everyone is well.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer