Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-01-04 03:22:38

NaturesPace
Website

Cock combs in cold

:cozy:

What temp should I be worried about comb frostbite? OK, Canadians, I know this doesn't sound extreme to you, but it will be 9F tonight (-12 C) should I use petroleum jelly on my cocks combs? At what temp do you start to worry about frost bite?

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2014-01-04 03:22:38

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-01-04 11:42:00

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Cock combs in cold

At around -12C  you could put the petroleum jelly on if you want to be on the side of caution, but if they have a small shelter and there is enough of the birds to keep warm he should be fine.

I just noticed Michael my EO cockerel from PG had got touched by frostbite but we had extreme cold here with -16C for the high and wind chill of -30C.  Now it's funny because Kazoo or the Coronation Sussex roosters didn't get it and they have huge combs???

#3 2014-01-04 14:07:29

Maggiesdad

Bob B used to say one way to get your roo through a cold snap was to go out after they roost and stick him in a cardboard box on the floor of the coop. Then just let him out in the morning. My girls sleep with their heads under their wings, but the boys can get nipped if they are keeping watch.

The paper this morning says the big cold is coming early next week... reminds me of my childhood when I went hunting one morning at -16F.  I still don't know why I did that - there weren't any animals out anywhere!

#4 2014-01-04 14:21:08

poplar girl
Administrator

Funny part....I live in the coldest area of all of you and I have no experience with this as I keep my coops above freezing. Winter is just too long and cold here not to have good infrastructure as it woudn't just be a few days I need to worry. I believe around inside temperatures of about -10C people around here start to worry about combs freezing. Also make sure their wattles and feet stay dry (no water to dip or step in).

Hope everyone can say warm through the cold snap. It's cold here too, -28C this morning and supposed to get colder tonight. I think Prairie Chick and Yardbirds areas have been even colder than we have! Someone said it was colder in Winnipeg, Manitoba than on Mars a few days ago.

Here I found the article: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekquin … .html?vp=1

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2014-01-04 19:30:24

Flat Rock Farm

That's a good idea MD with the cardboard box :thumbs:  I also hear that we are getting the big chill early next week, heck my "heated" water in line just thawed after being frozen for 2 days :banginghead:

Gosh I hater winter :stomp:.

Adverts

Board footer