Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2013-12-29 20:40:17

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: New Chicks

I'm not certain if the black speckling in the chest is caused by the mottling gene or not. If it is it is a recessive gene so it will only be visible in the chicks if they have two copies. Furthering that thought it would mean your PQ hens don't carry the mottling gene (or most of them don't) as of your 5 babies none have the black speckling. Your chicks though will likely carry it the gene passed on by their father.

Amblecroft it they were mine I would likely try mating your PQ hens to their son(s). I may also try the pullets with their father. You should get some very nice offspring but likely also cause some hidden traits to show up which may be undesirable but should tell you more about their genetics.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-12-29 20:40:17

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2013-12-31 00:56:30

Amblecroft
Website

My plan was to breed the old roo to the PQ original hens, which produced the first 5 chicks.   And at least get as many more of that cross as I can. 
Breeding the offspring to each other is also an excellent idea and I'll do that, as well as breeding the young roo to all my old hens.  I'm glad others are interested in some fertile eggs as it will be helpful to have extra efforts from others.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#28 2013-12-31 01:52:30

Flat Rock Farm

Susan, Kazoo my main breeding rooster that I used last year has some dark speckling in his chest.  Not as much as your PQ fellow but I have to say, with the hens I paired him with this past season I was VERY happy with the offspring.  They looked very similar to the ones in your photos here.

Can't wait for the eggs, hehe ;)

#29 2013-12-31 16:04:44

Amblecroft
Website

That rooster is from your lines Paula.

#30 2013-12-31 22:10:55

Flat Rock Farm

Oh OK, well he would have been from eggs you hatched from me what 2 years ago??

#31 2014-01-01 23:30:38

Amblecroft
Website

Yes, Paula.

Adverts

Board footer