Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-12-10 13:43:24

hollowridge

Having problems

We lost 2 of our 4 Marriduna pullets (8 months old) one 2 months ago, who looked like may have been egg bound and one again yesterday not sure why but she laid the same kind of egg as the other, both very ROUND eggs which sometimes had a circular dent on the side, hard shell but it looked something like what is called white banded egg but there was no color difference.  The other 2 have been laying a softer shell egg, which has improved but the one still is soft and you can see the veins through the shell.  We have Australorps and they have no egg issues except they are still in molt, hens and pullets both.
Have been racking our brains on these issues to fix, tried a lot of different things to no avail.  They don’t like any additives to their water (vinegar or vitamin water).  They won’t eat the oyster shells so have had to do the heated crushed egg shells.  They get fresh vegetables and scratch in moderation.  We are giving them sunflower seeds as a treat to help with some of the calcium.  Etc. Etc.  We also had kept them on strait feed with no extras.    Are we just looking at a weaker system here?  I am coming to that conclusion.  I only have one other thing that I have racked my brain in thinking.  OUR WATER!  Our house and outside is run through a water conditioner, is anyone else’s?  We have had Australorps before our E.O.’s and currently and they never had issues.  PLEASE HELP IT BREAKS OUR HEARTS TO FIND ONE OF OUR BABY’S ON THE FLOOR.

2013-12-10 13:43:24

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-12-10 14:13:35

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Having problems

That's so sad :(  Was she showing any other symptoms??  I have found EO's to be quite hardy??  I feed a mix or layer crumb and scratch grain, and they get left over kitchen scraps like rice, vegetables, pasta (no meat) and now with the colder weather to give them a protein boost I give them some canned cat food.

I know this does not answer your question, not sure what's going on??

#3 2013-12-10 23:26:14

hollowridge

Thanks FRF, we were not around them much the past few days except open, close, egg collection, didn't see anything. :( Talked to Riverbend today and he said that the line our birds came from are not as hardy, but will get hatching eggs from him that are a line from you and another.  We have a roo from your hatching eggs that Riverbend did, was hoping to breed with ours but that isn't looking so good now. :sick:
We just find it hard to have this happen.  We try our best and we know Mother Nature has her ways but we don't like some of them.:stomp:

#4 2013-12-10 23:56:13

Maggiesdad

:hug: Keep your chin up! If this was one of your hoped for breeders, then you just have to look at it as part of the selection process...

Sometimes it takes a couple of years to get birds that are well suited for your particular location.

#5 2013-12-11 00:55:25

Flat Rock Farm

I know it's disheartening as I have had it happen with birds before.  You put them all to bed, everyone looks fine then in the morning you have one flat out on the floor.  It's usually the hens, never the extra roosters :banginghead:

#6 2013-12-11 03:38:24

poplar girl
Administrator

Sorry to hear of your loss hollowridge :hug:

I have nothing much to add in the way of help unfortunately. Some blood lines simply aren't as hardy as others so it could be as simple as that.

Have you checked your birds for mites and lice?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2013-12-11 04:56:15

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry to hear that Hollowridge, it is upsetting, and pretty unusual for EOs.  They are usually pretty tough in my experience.  Sounds like you are doing all the right things.  Yes, check for bloodsucking mites/lice.  They can weaken birds over time, so then other things start to actually take a toll instead of being shrugged off. 

The only egg abnormalities we've really seen is like a wobbly walnut finish on the chanteclers shells sometimes if they get a Infectious bronchitis flareup with a big weather change, but yours sound different.

#8 2013-12-12 13:19:46

hollowridge

We had no mites/lice earlier so didn't think of that.  Gave them a check and there are still none.  I am not sure if we will every know what is happening.  If only they could talk!  :funny:  Wouldn't that solve a lot of problems!
:thanks:

#9 2013-12-12 14:49:27

gmb

Ss :hug: hollowridge
Just wondering/thinking maybe some sand or some grit over winter months, not sure . . .
For your sunflower seeds are they BOSS the little black oil ones?

#10 2013-12-12 14:57:39

Flat Rock Farm

LOL hollowridge if EO's could talk I don't think they would shut up.  Mine are quite chatty already :nervous:

Adverts

Board footer