Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2013-12-01 02:15:13

gubi
Website

Re: Where do we want to go with the EO breed from here?

Well PG we had 10 or 12 people present today at the OBSA AGM, so with 16 you are doing OK.  It will always be a challenge getting people together but I do think that in this day and age a internet chat as long as it is secure will work well.  The problems with it will be similar to discussions on the forums that you can't read peoples expressions.  I'm sure votes could be done online.  For the CBSA the meetings are one at the time of the show at the Royal where we possibly have enough directors for a quorum (you will need more then half the directors present) and the AGM and telephone conference if needed.  The CBSA AGM usually rotates between Ontario and Quebec (the two provinces with the larges BS populations) and sometimes we get an invitation from a western Province usually Manitoba but we had it in BC before, depending if the provincial association has the manpower to organize a meeting.  An EO meeting could be held the day before a big national show?  You will have to get all the EO's to one show to get accepted to the APA I'm assuming.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

2013-12-01 02:15:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2013-12-01 14:06:38

Maggiesdad

Random thoughts, no particular order -

I think a breed association (NABBA :thumbs: :lol:) is the logical step towards getting the breed recognized by the APA.

Having a standard set, and then having breeders that breed to the standard will be critical to the long term survival of the breed over here. Otherwise they will just fizzle out in somebody's back yard 'til they are no longer recognizable.  That's just the way things are.

This forum is part of this site  -  http://www.euskaloiloas.com/index.html

Is that the logical place to have the breed club? Or does another website have to be formed? Seem like having it here would make it easier to find (for new folks) since these pages have had a presence on the web for several years now...

Has anybody heard from Claire lately?

PG, use the survey email list to notify interested parties of the association formation, and request their (voluntary) participation, (if that is ethical). There's your list of folks that already have interest in the breed.

I don't have a problem with the association being based north of the border. I feel like that's where most of the folks are that have the drive to make this happen. I won't be showing, I can't swing it financially. My reasons for getting these birds haven't changed, and I love 'em enough to make the commitment to learn to breed them true.

#28 2013-12-01 15:03:00

poplar girl
Administrator

Good thoughts MD. I do think establishment of the breed is about much more than just showing so for you and others that don't want to show but still want to be involved in standardizing the breed there is definately a role to play.

I haven't heard from Claire, I think we will need to contact her shortly. And I beleive we will want to have a website in addition to this one although it would be great if we can link from the existing one.

I had the same thought as you to use the email list from the survey to notify people of our intent to start a breed club. Almost everyone asked to receive a copy of the survey results by email anyway so I think it will be fine to include mention of a breed club at the same time. In addition we can post the information on this forum, should we also post on other forums?

I think we need to pick a date, time and method for the meeting. I would like to include that information in the email when I send it out. We will also need an agenda for what topics will be covered and decisions made during the meeting. I have been trying to think of the best method of having everyone join. I think a conference call is likely the easiest as it would mean everyone who wants to can call in with no worries of needing to go high tech. Does anyone have access to a conference call line we could use? Or any other ideas of the best way to communicate?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#29 2013-12-01 16:37:00

Flat Rock Farm

I have been in touch with Claire but only personally and I know she and Nathan have been busy all summer with their new home.  Last I spoke with her (a week ago) they were still trying to get winter housing finished for the birds.  PG if you send her an email she will reply, I am sure she would want to know what's going on.

#30 2013-12-10 01:25:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hi all, this is exciting.  We can certainly link to a new site from the Euskal site, or once a logo is done for the Association, put that up in the banner or sidebar of the existing site.   I think they will be best separate, but we can put the link front and centre for a good clickhrough to the association pages.  Maybe it is even possible to get the forum moved to the new site.  Smarty's would know about how to do that, I have no clue how it is done :whistle:  This existing address could forward to the new location if we wanted so it looked like it was still here, anyway. I know how to do that (I think).

As far as reserving gmails you can, but more professional-looking would be setting it up, free, as many as you like, through the website Cpanel, like admin@basqueassociation.com, info@basqueassociation.com, michelle@basqueassociation.com etc.  Looks like NABBA.com is taken, shorter to type, like the Nabba name easier to remember.  NA-BBA.com is available.  The assoc can go with a longer name, but it is a lot of typing for a domain for emails and those who don't bookmark etc.  Any extra longer versions bough can be forwarded to the main domain used.  Annual renewal for a domain through Godaddy is about $10.  Hosting is likely $10 a month.

The EO site was set up when I first started doing sites and needs to be redone and moved at some point anyway.  Hosting costs more for that one site than tens of others we have, as it was made idiotproof an easy to create, but comes at a premium.  Most economical for a new Association site is to get a Hostgator SSL account (if payments taken through it and people's info taken) and set up the site through the Cpanel.  I still only know the basics and can't do a customized site or anything, just know wordpress.  For the site you'll need to have a plan of what content, tabs, menus, and info,disclaimers and legeleze, and I'm guessing the site should probably have a Paypal or ecommerce or something interface for taking payments for membership.  It may be worth contacting any the other new membership sites you like and seeing who their designer is.

Modern technology, Skype or Join.me makes meetings and assorted locations doable and affordable, and IMO, it seems to make sense for an AB registration if the main admin is there.  But whatever is fine, the world is a small place now.

I am hoping to have more time coming up, but can't commit to anything for sure.  I don't plan on showing, and am still deciding whether to downsize my birds to 20 or so (have 90 right now including about 20 extra roos!).  But I am loving my EO's and BP's and am excited with the progress we have made, have plans to breed them next year.

#31 2013-12-10 01:50:54

poplar girl
Administrator

Sounds like you might be a great source of info when it comes to websites and email Claire. It sounds sort of like a foreign language to me :shock:  (I have other useful skills :whistle:) even to have you assist with getting us on the right track with that aspect would be a huge help.

But make sure your chooks are all warm and comfortable for winter first :cozy:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer