Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

• Index
  •  » USA
  •  » How many EO breeders are there in the USA?

#1 2011-08-12 02:42:53

3riverschick
Website

How many EO breeders are there in the USA?

I:EO:     So far I have found 2. Skyline Poultry and Young Heritage in Georgia. Did someone mention someone in California? Where else?
Thanks,
Karen in PA ( no EO's yet)

Last edited by 3riverschick (2011-08-12 02:44:15)

Karen Tewart
"The present is best served when we remember the past."

2011-08-12 02:42:53

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-12 04:27:11

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: How many EO breeders are there in the USA?

I think currently taking orders in the US is Skyline only.  I think most other US members are just getting eggs now starting in the next month from him, but I could be wrong :Crazy:  I have reason to believe Greenfire Farms will have them in the future, most likely next year.  Those are the only US I know of. 'Thatbloke' is in CA and high on Skylines list for eggs I believe.  Many of the US members that don't have them yet and are due to get eggs would likely make some available next Spring/summer I would think.

#3 2011-08-12 10:58:22

Young Heritage

I am still waiting on eggs from Skyline. I have not heard anything from him in a while so I am not sure when he will be ready to sell eggs. I know he is very busy right now setting up new facilities and such. I have looked at many options to get some of these birds but Skyline is the only option I know of right now. Importing is a joke due to the language barrier and finding a breeder in Spain willing to do the legwork. I thought someone in Canada would be willing to ship to the US since the export/import laws between the two are pretty minimal. So far I have not seen anyone interested in doing this. Hopefully a source will come up soon so the peeps in the US can get some of these birds.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#4 2011-08-12 12:30:45

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We hadn't had the time to explore exporting to the US, but now we aree no longer selling the farm and moving, I can see if there's anything else we can do.  I see the need to have a "pullorum eradication program" in effect is going to take some figuring out as I have never heard of it here and nothing useful is coming up on Google.  Finding a  knowledgeable vet may be the first step.  :chook:

#5 2011-08-12 14:48:03

Susan
Administrator

YH, I may be interested in exporting to states- like Claire, I will have to check out the details.  I'll be honest, though, free ranging my birds is my top priority. If they have to be confined (with the exception of the winter time), I won't be doing it. Its definitely something I will check out this winter though :)

#6 2011-08-12 23:52:28

3riverschick
Website

Hi!,
   I was going to import some Black Marans from Eric at one time. Decided to go with US Golden Salmon instead because I love the salmon breast. ( However after 5 failed starts, have let the GS Marans go. Now have a bare start with 2 BTB Marans pullets which are sports from GS breeding. Am still deciding if I want to go that route or not.)
   Meanwhile did a lot of research. Unless things have changed radically, getting birds from Can to US is much easier than anywhere else in the world. As I understood it, one drove to Canada and picked up the birds. ( an import license  is only required if the birds are crossing the border by air or water. By bridge is considered by land. The London Poultry Show is a great place to meet. Then drive to the border where one had made 2 pre-arranged vet visits. First to the Canadian AG vet to clear the birds for travel into the US. The Can.  AG vets office is close to most all border crossings, I think. Least I remember this being so for the London, ON and the Niagara, NY crossings. Then across the border with the proper paperwork plus CAN health cetrtificate ...and straight to the US AG vets office for another prearranged visit for health check and USDA health certificate. . Once cleared there, it's straight on home without any other problems. The health certificate from the US AG vet should serve as a USDA health certificate for States like Commonwealth of Pennsylvania which require all poultry over 21 days old to have a USDA Health Certificate ( like a dog)  before entering or leaving the Commonwealth/State.
Eggs are even easier to import to US because they aren't yet "live", just "fertile". I forget the procedure tho.
Best,
Karen Tewart in PA, USA   :EO:

Last edited by 3riverschick (2011-08-13 00:00:44)

Karen Tewart

#7 2011-08-13 00:10:25

3riverschick
Website

Hi,
  One thing which could be done. Would take  a lot of organization and easy-going people. A syndicate of breeders could go together and one person could make the run across the border to get the birds. Once back in the US, that person could box and mail birds to all the syndicate members. The USDA health certificate from the border crossing should also work      for the shipping, I would think. have to ask on that, but think so. An agreement among members to share 6 eggs only (and only for the 1st year ) with the other syndicate members  might solve any problems of someone thinking they didn't get the best birds or something human like that . Also keep the breed diversity when the eggs from those imported birds were shared that first year only around the US. :jumping:

Karen Tewart

#8 2011-08-18 02:55:32

Skylinepoultry
Website

Hello Everyone,
  My girls are almost ready. Come late September I'll be sending out Eggs in order of the Waiting list. Sorry if I havnt been on. Its been a busy time of year for me and Ive ran into some crazy bad luck. But I prevailed, YEA ME!! LOL... The Marraduna girls and boys are doing fantastic. Please be patient if you are on the list as you are gonna be the first to recieve. Spread the word to other members that the United States is fixing to explode with EO's.
I feel fortunate to have ran into Claire. She has been the heart beat of EO information. She has brought everyone together for this wonderful breed. A true Pioneer for the North American Euskal Oiloa Movement. I have a feeling that EO's of all colors will soon be the bird of choice down the road.

#9 2011-08-18 04:35:15

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We must seem crazy to any passers by and Non-EO owners.  :Crazy:  I am happy to share all I know and get people together for the Euskal oiloa.  I am glad people are enjoying the forum.  I just :love: love all the pictures we're seeing!

Sorry to hear things have been rough, and I hope things are working out for you now Skyline.  :cheer:

#10 2011-08-18 05:56:52

3riverschick
Website

Skylinepoultry wrote:

Hello Everyone,
  My girls are almost ready. Come late September I'll be sending out Eggs in order of the Waiting list.

Woot! WOot! WOOt! WOOT!

Karen Tewart

#11 2011-08-19 02:44:53

Skylinepoultry
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

We must seem crazy to any passers by and Non-EO owners.  :Crazy:  I am happy to share all I know and get people together for the Euskal oiloa.  I am glad people are enjoying the forum.  I just :love: love all the pictures we're seeing!

Sorry to hear things have been rough, and I hope things are working out for you now Skyline.  :cheer:

Just some hicups here and there. Its all part of everyday life. You've really done this great breed some justice with your hard work. I can tell that your a go getter Claire. =D

#12 2011-10-09 01:13:04

texastinsel

My husband and I will be heading back to Saratoga for the sale again in August.  I don't see why we couldn't arrange to go to Niagra to make an egg run on our way back.  Anyone interested in working on this with me? :huh:

#13 2011-10-09 01:15:11

texastinsel

To explain futher, my husband is in the equine business, specifically thoroughbreds, here in Lexington.  The Saratoga sale is awesome, fun, and a week full of gorgeous thoroughbreds from around the world racing in all their glory!!! EOs and thoroughbreds...sounds like bliss to me!

#14 2011-10-09 01:26:31

Susan
Administrator

Cool! One of my show jumpers came from Kentucky! He was bred there, went to Germany to help refine their Hanoverians as a stud and then Spruce Meadows bought him. I bought him from Spruce as a 7 yer old when my old coach was the trainer there. He was Secretariat's nephew and looked just like him. He was an amazing horse! (Sorry to be more than a bit off topic)

• Index
  •  » USA
  •  » How many EO breeders are there in the USA?

Adverts

Board footer