Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-15 02:48:02

poplar girl
Administrator

My new baker's dozen!

One more hatch than planned this year...DH has taken it suprizingly well! Family coming to visit on the weekend, I wonder what they will think of chicks brooding in the porch?

I was given a "bonus" 10 marraduna EO eggs from Black Horse Ranch in case fertility of my first dozen was poor. So when I heard those were coming I started collecting from my trio, also BHR birds.

I am a bad person as I did not track which chicks came from what eggs. This lack of record keeping will haunt me for sure. Anyway, 13 new babies. 9 from my two girls, 5 from BHR eggs.

Here they are last night, less than a day old.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/975e3af9.png
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/28dbefc6.png
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/461ac1f4.png

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-07-15 02:48:02

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-15 03:02:36

Susan
Administrator

Re: My new baker's dozen!

Gorgeous PG!!!!

#3 2011-07-15 03:02:58

Lisa

PG,

:congrats:  Beautiful additions to the family! How can your relatives not be enchanted by such charming babies???

Last edited by Lisa (2011-07-15 03:04:20)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#4 2011-07-15 03:16:59

poplar girl
Administrator

Lisa...there you go....I'll just tell my dad these are as close to grandkids he is gonna get from me! Ha ha. My house...I can keep chooks in it if I want to right?

I HAVE to post some pictures of my month olds. They are glorious friendly little chooks! One little girls is super extra friendly.

Anybody have room for a few EOs this fall...I have about 35 too many !?!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-07-15 09:53:47

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:congrats: Lovely little or should I say big fluffy chicks.  Interesting the grey on the one's back...I don't remember seeing that before, wonder if it'll have more black mottling, or be a deeply coloured roo?  beautiful :love: I can`t wait for mine! There are 5 eggs on a tray in the dining room!  They are the only grandkids mine are getting too! =D

#6 2011-07-15 12:02:21

poplar girl
Administrator

I need to take picture of my "not so EO looking EOs" SLF. I think the ones with the grey back will have lots of grey feathers as some of my other babies are very grey. I am already kicking myself for not keeping track of which hen the 9 eggs (4 from one hen, 5 from the other) from mine came from as I probably would have learned quite a lot. They are nice big chicks. Always seem to have fat little bellies too!

I will try to take and post more pictures later...I will be cleaning up the chook houses this morning so my family is less likely to complain the grandkids smell. Then mow the lawn ( a 7 hour undertaking :sad: ) and then I fear I will be out of time but I will try.

#7 2011-07-15 13:21:54

gubi
Website

congrats on the "grandkids"  if you have 7 hours of cutting lawn you either need way more chickens or some goats!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2011-07-15 13:28:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Grass cutting is a 5-6 hour job here, Nathan did 3 hours and I am about to go out and do the last 2 or so.  Perfect weather here.  Chitaquarrot swears by a big flock of sebastapols for mowing the lawn.  Yes those'll be the recessives.  Seemed like you had so many from me not close :(  maybe I'll have better next year.  I'll feel better doing some test hatches too.  I wonder if anyone has had blue legs this year.

#9 2011-07-15 16:15:18

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:congrats:

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#10 2011-07-15 20:09:51

Flat Rock Farm

poplar girl wrote:

Lisa...there you go....I'll just tell my dad these are as close to grandkids he is gonna get from me! Ha ha. My house...I can keep chooks in it if I want to right?

I HAVE to post some pictures of my month olds. They are glorious friendly little chooks! One little girls is super extra friendly.

Anybody have room for a few EOs this fall...I have about 35 too many !?!

:congrats:

Well when my Mother came up for visit in May/June I had chicks in a brooder on my workbench in the basement, and her comment was oh you have chickens in the house now, ew!  I was city born and raised but have lived rural for 23 years, she thinks I am the alien child.  Can't understand where I get if from???  LOL

I have one little pullet that is mostly grey and one cockerel with a lot of grey as well.  I am not sure if they are "type" for the breed but they are awfully pretty, and she is the friendliest of all of them.

If you were closer I would take those extra EO's off your hands, I am into road trips but your a tad too far for me, LOL

#11 2011-07-16 01:10:55

poplar girl
Administrator

Gubi we have sheep that were supposed to help with all that grass but then we planted trees all over. The trees are doing great but need a couple more years before they will be sheep safe. It does look lovely once it's cut!

Here is a picture of the whole lot of them. Such cute babies. If only I could sit and cuddle them all weekend! Do you think they will pass muster with grandpa?
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/549bf007.png

#12 2011-07-16 01:37:11

gubi
Website

I'm sure Grandpa will love them too. 
The first year we were to Canada my dad said what would Grandpa say if he saw how much land we waste on lawn.  So we only cut lawn around the outside of the lawn and baled the bigger parts.  We got 50 bales of hay of our lawn!  The neighbors thought we were crazy,  all but one he's been doing it with his lawn for the past 19 years!  The second year we got sheep to put in the one side of the laneway and around the shed.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#13 2011-07-16 02:59:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I know I keep wondering why we do it, least it's nearly stopped growing now.  I'd already have some geese in the orchard at the front but I am scared of them getting on the road and causing an accident or something. :sad:  They are baling our hay today and tomorrow and our verges were just cut along the road as well, and I was thinking they should bale them up too!  Our neighbor across the road puts his electric fence right up to the road, and his cattle eat the verge.  It's not allowed really, but no one says anything!

#14 2011-10-09 00:35:05

texastinsel

Wow....I live on a small lot in Chevy Chase, Lexington, Kentucky...close to downtown.  I would love to have that much land so I could have more chicks!!  Having grown up in San Antonio, Texas and Dallas, Texas for 7 years; I never ever thought I would love tending to chickens of all things!! I was die hard city gal!  It's amazing how they win over your heart.  Granted, my grandfather had a Charolais farm and I loved my summers on the farm when I was little.  I think it was gathering eggs for breakfast as a little girl that still resonates with me.  My husband was a bit shocked when I had the brooder set up in the house...but our "Texy Chicks" as we refer to them now, won him over quickly!:happycrowd"

#15 2011-10-09 00:45:02

Susan
Administrator

Texas, I was a city girl too. We bought the acreage when we got married because I used to ride show jumping horses and it was cheaper to keep them at home than to board out two horses at the stables. After I had my kids I started gardening and then got a few hens. I wanted to grow our own food and have the kids know where real food came from. The journey that has been the result has been amazing.

Adverts

Board footer