Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-27 22:44:44

poplar girl
Administrator

BASQUE (EUSKAL OILOA) Breed Standard

The following describes, to the best of our collective efforts, the North American breed standard for the Basque (Euskal oiloa) chicken as of January 2012. Of the 5 varieties recognized in the Basque Country only the marraduna color variety is described.  To view the entire discussion please see  http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=472

BASQUE (EUSKAL OILOA)

Euskal oiloa first came into being as a natural breed evenly distributed across farms of the historical territories of Bizkaia, Araba and Gipuzkoa of the Basque Country (Euskal Herria) of Spain.  Recovery and preservation of this breed began in 1975 when Dr. Fernando Orozco and his team at the Department of Animal Genetics INIA recognized the devastating impact that the use of hybrid laying hens for commercial production of the regionally preferred brown shelled eggs was having on the native breed. Based on this work, Dr. Jose Antonio Mendizabal drafted the spanish breed standard. The introduction of basque fowl into North America is relatively recent and the breed has attracted a following in Canada and the United States as a result of the combination of traits for hardiness, attractive color patterns, a friendly temperament, and good egg and meat producing properties.

ECONOMIC QUALITIES
A dual purpose medium weight fowl for production of both meat and eggs. Color of skin, yellow; color of egg shell varying from very light to a rich brown depending on the individual, strain and stage of production.

DISQUALIFICATIONS
White in the ear-lobes. Shanks other than yellow.

STANDARD WEIGHTS
Cock..........8 lbs
Cockerel.....6.5 lbs
Hen...........5.5 lbs
Pullet.........4.5 lbs

SHAPE-MALE
COMB:   Single, medium in size, straight and upright, firm and even on head with five to seven well-defined points. Blade slightly raised from the back of the neckline.
BEAK:  Strong, vigorous and well curved.
FACE:  Smooth.
EYES:  Large and oval.
WATTLES:  Long, thin and smooth, with a rounded lower edge.
EAR-LOBES:  Medium in size, lying close to the face, smooth and lanceolate.
HEAD:  Long and wide.
NECK:  Moderately long. Hackle abundant and flowing over the shoulders.
BACK:  Broad, sloping slightly downward to the tail.  Saddle feathers abundant and medium length.
TAIL:  Moderately large.  Carried at an angle of 45 degrees (45 °) above horizontal. Main tail feathers broad and overlapping. Sickles of medium length, well arched.
WINGS:  Large, well-folded and held tightly to the body.
BREAST:  Broad, deep and well rounded.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Body fairly developed. Fluff moderately full.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs strong and robust. Shanks rather long, thick, heavy. Toes four on each foot.

SHAPE-FEMALE
COMB:  Single, medium in size, straight and upright, firm and even on head with five to seven well-defined points. Blade slightly raised from the back of the neckline.
BEAK:  Strong, vigorous, nicely curved.
FACE:  Smooth.
EYES:  Large and oval.
WATTLES:  Medium length, thin and smooth, with a well rounded lower edge.
EAR-LOBES:  Rather small, lying close to the face, smooth and lanceolate.
HEAD:  Long and wide.
NECK:  Moderately long.
BACK:  Broad, sloping slightly downward to the tail.
TAIL:   Rather small.  Carried at an angle of 35 degrees (35 °) above horizontal.
WINGS:  Large, well-folded and held tightly to the body.
BREAST:  Broad, deep and well rounded.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Body fairly developed. Fluff moderately full.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs strong and robust. Shanks rather long, thick, heavy. Toes four on each foot.

MARRADUNA BASQUE

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Entirely white or black feathers in the sickle or main tail feathers. Entirely white feathers in the the primary or secondary wing feathers.

COLOR-MALE

COMB, FACE, WATTLES AND EAR-LOBES:  Bright red.
BEAK:  Yellow.
EYES:  Brown.
HEAD:  Plumage, finely barred with white and golden-red.
NECK:  Hackle finely barred with white and light golden-red with a narrow black stripe, irregularly barred with white, extending down the middle of each feather. Front of neck same as breast.
BACK:  Barred dark golden-red. Saddle finely barred lustrous dark golden-red.
TAIL:  Main tail alternating bars of black and white. Sickles the same as the main tail with lustrous greenish black. Coverts black and white barring, the white barring gradually turning to dark golden-red approaching the saddle.
WINGS:  Front and bows barred white and medium chestnut red. Secondary coverts barred white and dark golden-red. Primaries barred white and black with upper edge golden-red. Primary coverts white and black barred edged with golden-red.
BREAST:  White and golden-red barred.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Body irregularly barred with white and golden-red similar to the breast. Stern irregularly and indistinctly barred with white and golden-red. Fluff ivory.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs indistinctly barred with white and golden-red. Shanks and toes yellow.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS:  Ivory

COLOR-FEMALE
EYES:  Brown.
HEAD:  Golden-red
NECK:  Dark golden-red. Lower neck feathers with a black stripe, slightly and irregularly barred with white, extending down the middle of each feather. Front of neck similar to breast.
BACK:  Golden-red.
TAIL:  Main tail black edged with golden-red. Shaft golden-red.
WINGS:  Front and bows dark golden-red. Bar and secondaries golden-red. Primaries golden-red with lower web of first few primary feathers black transitioning to golden-red. Primary coverts black edged with golden-red. When the wing is folded in the natural position only the golden-red color shows.
BREAST:  Light golden-red.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Light golden-red with faint and indistinct white barring. Stern irregularly and indistinctly barred with white and light golden-red. Fluff ivory.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs light golden-red. Shanks and toes yellow.

Added August 2013 for the original thread see http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1667

GORRIA BASQUE

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Entirely white feathers in the sickle or main tail feathers. Entirely white feathers in the the primary or secondary wing feathers.

COLOR-MALE
EYES:  Chestnut.
HEAD:  Red.
NECK:  Hackle red shading at the base to a lighter red. A narrow black stripe extending down the middle of each feather. Front of neck same as breast.
BACK: Red in upper parts shading to lighter red in the lower saddle.
TAIL:  Main tail black. Sickles lustrous greenish black. Coverts black gradually turning to red approaching the saddle.
WINGS:  Front, bows, and coverts red. Primaries black then upper edge red. Primary coverts black edged with red.
BREAST:  Red.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Red similar to the breast. Fluff ivory.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs red. Shanks and toes yellow.

COLOR-FEMALE
EYES:  Chestnut.
HEAD:  Red.
NECK:  Red. Lower neck feathers with a black stripe down the middle of each feather. Front of neck similar to breast.
BACK:  Red.
TAIL:  Main tail black edged with red. Shaft red.
WINGS:  Front, bar and secondaries and bows red. Primaries red with lower web of first few primary feathers black transitioning to red. Primary coverts black edged with red. When the wing is folded in the natural position only the red color shows.
BREAST:  Red.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Red. Fluff ivory.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs red. Shanks and toes yellow.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-01-27 22:44:44

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-28 00:43:02

Susan
Administrator

Re: BASQUE (EUSKAL OILOA) Breed Standard

So we do want to see black mixed with WHITE barring on the neck of the females? Highlighted white because I am not sure about that. (?)

#3 2012-01-28 00:50:41

poplar girl
Administrator

That is what I see on my girls when i look closely. The white bar is very narrow. :huh:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-01-28 01:21:52

Susan
Administrator

K. I'll look again. I just didn't know that was a good thing (some of mine as you know have a "Milles Fleurs" colouration, so I'm trying to watch the white)

#5 2012-01-28 21:18:45

Amblecroft
Website

What a great job you've done on the standard! 

You talk about the "fluff moderately full".  I remember a while back mentioning that I thought their feathers were not very tight to their body.  Is this what you are referring to?

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#6 2012-01-28 21:20:07

Amblecroft
Website

Susan, you say some of yours have the Mille Fleur colouration.  What are you referring to there?

Thanks for your patience.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#7 2012-01-28 23:26:23

poplar girl
Administrator

Fluff moderately full would be the ivory down feathers underneath the hard outer feathers. It would give some "loft" to the outer feathers though I suppose.

#8 2012-01-28 23:41:28

Susan
Administrator

amblecroft, I took some pics and will add them here ASAP.

Here we go. Here is a pic of Sequin, Mom to all of last years babies, she keeps getting more and more mottled

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/Susan7935/EOsJanuary282012015.jpg

#9 2012-01-29 22:16:11

poplar girl
Administrator

I am thinking perhaps I should have closed this topic so that the great discussion could be added to the end of the original thread to keep this one "clean" and to keep all our discussion on this topic in one place. Next time maybe!

In for a penny in for a pound...

I took some pictures of the black and white barring on the hackles of a few or my girls today. First picture I would actually doubted if this pullet was barred at all if not for the barring in her hackle. Second pic is Honey, she only has very faint white bars. Third is a hen with very obvious white and black.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/39637695.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/b25320a5.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/96b5c68b.jpg

#10 2012-04-27 03:39:27

Terra-Blue
Website

Is this posted anywhere off the forum for access to those not on the forum?  Thanks

Joni Johnson
Terra-Blue Pyrenean Shepherds
www.terra-blue.net

#11 2012-04-27 04:11:28

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The whole forum is visible to non members, I don't have any of it the regular member area hidden like I know some forums do.  That way if someone doesn't want to join they still have access to the info we have.  We have evolved the above non-official standard as a group, language is a difficulty and fact these birds are unique made it tricky.  :EO:

#12 2013-07-24 20:42:30

Little Boy Blue
Website

I was reading a Spanish version of the SOP and one thing has really stuck out to me.  They list "Castano Claro" for the eye color.  Castano is the Spanish word for Chestnut and Claro is light.  So they are requiring a light chestnut eye color.  Our EO's have what the non poultry people would probablly call orangish-red.

I would call a dark chestnut an rust or an orangish-brown, and a light chestnut a earthy orange for lack of better description. 

This orangy eye color is listed as "Bay" in many APA breeds where Brown is used for a really dark eye color void of any trace of orange or red.

I feel that the eye color should really be listed as bay rather than brown in the proposed standard.

Also, you will never see a range of 5-7 points listed in an APA standard because unlike thier europena couterparts APA doen't allow ranges.  The standard should probablly be for 6 point combs (or 5 or 7, but one has to be settled upon).

The range of point has stuck out to me too. :-)

Hope this helps.  I know before qualifying there will be ton of other small things that will be discussed as revisions are made too.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2013-07-26 16:13:23)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#13 2013-07-24 21:43:04

Maggiesdad

I appreciate the work you're doing helping with the translation, LBB. 

We've batted around the point tally problem on here a little bit already. Personally I think 4 points on a rooster look silly. 6 looks natural. That's just me.

We've discussed color too. http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopi … 10&p=1 Wish we could get Miguel Angel to come over here and comment...

#14 2013-07-25 02:20:55

poplar girl
Administrator

I agree with you on both points LLB. When I gave a draft of the SOP to the APA judge for the show I attended a couple weeks ago I changed cpbrown to chestnut. Perhaps bay is the actuall correct term. And with the points I'm leaning to 6 as well MD.

I was hoping we could make a decision on the changes through results of our fall survey, I believe I included a question about both although perhaps chestnut needs to be changed to bay?
Here is a link to the draft survey:
http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1557

#15 2013-11-10 04:47:50

HaplessRunner

Hi folks,

I just wanted to say thank you for the link on EO forum for the draft SOP for EOs.  I took the draft and revised the format to align with the format with which we are working to get cream legbars APA approved.  The format may have been fine but it did not copy from the website in the appropriate format.  I was going to post a revised format here for the SOP such that I could use for the VA Poultry Breeders Association show in Ruther Glen but this forum does not have the editing tools that BYC does. 

I am planning to show my best cockerel in Ruther Glen at the VA Poultry Breeders Association Fall show.  My two appropriately colored pullets that I considered showing turned out to have sprigs on their combs so they will not be making the trip.  I will also be showing some cream legbars and ameraucanas; eleven birds total.  After observing the quality of birds in the show in Frederick, MD last weekend, I became convinced that some of my birds could give a good run.  This is my first ever attempt at showing so wish me luck!

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/51004 … t_12301001

Tony Markley
High Water Hill Farm
Lovettsville, VA 20180

#16 2013-11-10 12:34:40

Flat Rock Farm

Hi Tony and :welcome: to the forum.  Met you at Gilmanor in May.

Good luck with showing the EO's, let us know how you made out :thumbs:

#17 2013-11-10 16:08:40

poplar girl
Administrator

HapplessRunner it's great you're entering EOs in a show! I am headed to a APA sanctioned show here in Canada in a couple weeks and EOs will be in a class under Any Other Standard Breed. The organizer said mine won't be the only ones, someone else has already entered some so that's exciting.

I posted the below message on BYC. My fear is version control on the SOP as we will likely be making some changes soon. Posted like yours above with a link to the place the marraduna SOP has been used will make that much easier as now we know that an updated version needs to be posted on the BYC EO forum when the changes are made.

HapplessRunner it is likely we will make some slight modifications to the EO SOP shortly after the survey responses are tallied. There is a question in the survey on the number of points on the comb to decide upon as for the APA a range (currently 5-7) is not acceptable. Also there is a question on eye color as brown in the APA standard refers to a chocolate brown which the EOs are not. Chestnut or another descriptor will likely replace Brown. As the SOP is used and vetted past more judges we may see the need for more changes so feedback on from shows is very welcome.

#18 2013-11-10 18:09:59

poplar girl
Administrator

Discussion on BYC Euskal oiloa (Basque) forum this morning:

Laingcroft wrote:

I haven't been on here in awhile except to take the survey so I'm a bit confused by this description for the EO Marraduna hen.   This sounds like the Gorria description.    Why dark golden red?  The SOP for New Hampshiires calls for medium chestnut red...are we going for something even darker?  I'm on my third and fourth generations aiming for darker females and I'm still getting what I would describe as pale amber.  Who has hens of a dark golden red that is not millefleur?  I'd love to see an example of if that's what we're aiming for.

Here is a Spanish site with photos of the correct European EO colors:  http://www.eoalak.com/es/content/marraduna-0

As for eye color, I would call it bay or reddish bay.

poplar girl wrote:

Feedback on the draft SOP is absolutely welcome Laingcroft and I know sometimes a description looks okay and then, as we learn more, it becomes easier to recognize where there might be room for improvement. Your feedback using your knowlege of new hampshires is great!

The color we are aiming for would be that of the marraduna hen in the picture on the Eoalak site you provided a link to. The intent of the North American SOP is not to change the look of the EOs it's just to replicate the Spanish standard to english using APA formatting. So anywhere you see descriptions that would mean a deviation from the Spanish EOs it should be brought up.

With that in mind it would be really appreciated if as many people who are willing would review the draft EO SOP and provided comments. There is also one for gorria on the Euskal oiloa chicken forum (EOCF) that has not been transferred here as I'm not sure there are any gorria in the USA.

Ideally, if people are a member of EOCF or willing to become one, comments posted there on the SOP thread so we can have a record of the discussion would be appreciated. Alternatively if necessary i will copy discussions from here over so they are not lost. Since we will be making some changes to the SOP shortly anyway it would make sense to revisit everything at the same time.

Adverts

Board footer