Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-11-08 05:30:54

CackleJoy

Hello All,

I don't know how I first read about Basque.  It was a website somewhere.  The history of the bird caught our attention.  My husband and I have often talked about being part of species preservation.  We just didn't know it would be chickens.  We got our first egg-layers in February of this year.  We had no idea that we'd fall in love with chickens and become absolutely dotty chicken people.  I spend a lot of time researching potential breeds and hunting them down.  After I've secured them, my husband invents housing.  =D 

We've added some specialty breeds for breeding including, Swedish Flower Hens, Dark Brahma's, Mille Fluer Leghorns and the Basque.  We've never even been to a chicken show.  That's how green we are.  So bear with us! 

So the Basque, can anyone tell me how to pronounce Euskal Oiloa?  What sold me was asking some Basque breeders if the temperament comments were all true.  I listened to this lady rant about her Basque hens.  I would breed for temperament over leg color any day (sorry people).   So, I talked to another breeder and she made the first lady sound reserved as she gushed on about her EO Basques.

We now have 10 chicks.  Ages 1 - 5 weeks.  Got them yesterday!  We are very excited to be part of this preservation journey.  Thankful for educated people willing to help us along.

I promise to pay attention to leg color.  :lol:

Sustainable urban family farm.  We have four children, an LPD, 3 worthless cats, a flock random egg layers (Wyandottes, Rocks, Sussex, Orp's, EE's) and breeding stock (Ameraucana's, Dark Brahma's, Basque, Swedish Flower Hens, and Mille Fluer Leghorns).  Everyday is an adventure!

2013-11-08 05:30:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-11-08 12:25:37

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Hello All,

:welcome: CackleJoy!!!

:congrats: on getting your first EO's as you will find out :EO:

As far as the pronunciation of EO I think we all fight with that one, Basque and EO is easier to say unless your Spanish, lol.

Enjoy the forum and are happy you could join us :happycrowd"

#3 2013-11-08 12:40:41

Maggiesdad

:welcome:

pronunciation....   Euskal Oiloa =  Eeeee Ohhhh  :funny: :excited:

You can search the forum with your questions and find lot of what you're looking for!

Welcome to the forum - lots of really nice people here!

#4 2013-11-08 13:09:58

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: and :congrats: on your new babies.

So happy to hear that the EOs have won over another human. Isn't it amazing how naturally friendly they are?

I can't pronounce Euskal oiloa properly either, the first word is easy the second not so much. I didn't check if the link to the video still works but here is a link to an older post on how to say it right: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=542

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2013-11-08 16:10:48

CackleJoy

Maggiesdad wrote:

pronunciation....   Euskal Oiloa =  Eeeee Ohhhh  :funny: :excited:

You can search the forum with your questions and find lot of what you're looking for!

Welcome to the forum - lots of really nice people here!

I need an icon where the little guy is rolling back and forth across the screen laughing. 

Thanks for that!

Makes me feel much better.  I can do E O  :jumping:

Sustainable urban family farm.  We have four children, an LPD, 3 worthless cats, a flock random egg layers (Wyandottes, Rocks, Sussex, Orp's, EE's) and breeding stock (Ameraucana's, Dark Brahma's, Basque, Swedish Flower Hens, and Mille Fluer Leghorns).  Everyday is an adventure!

#6 2013-11-08 16:13:59

CackleJoy

poplar girl wrote:

:welcome: and :congrats: on your new babies.

So happy to hear that the EOs have won over another human. Isn't it amazing how naturally friendly they are?

I can't pronounce Euskal oiloa properly either, the first word is easy the second not so much. I didn't check if the link to the video still works but here is a link to an older post on how to say it right: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=542

Yes, we are getting rid of the Golden Laced Wyandottes.  Only keeping one pullet for our laying stock.  They are grumpy-pants birds!  Even the pullets!  We had one that would bite the finger EVERY TIME!  Nope, I don't like grumpy birds.  These babies astounded me.  I had a handful waiting for somewhere to put them and one stuck its head out between my fingers and WENT TO SLEEP with its head hanging out in mid-air.  Now that bird doesn't have a high-strung bone in its body!

Thanks for the welcome everybody.  We are so excited to have these birds and be part of the EO preservation movement.

#7 2013-11-08 17:02:33

gmb

:welcome: & :congrats:

#8 2013-11-08 17:40:45

NaturesPace
Website

welcome!

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#9 2013-11-08 23:00:58

Susan
Administrator

Welcome CackleJoy!

#10 2013-11-18 01:32:11

tt10
Website

Hi everyone.
got myself into basue in the summer and now on search to get the breeding right. I have some odd colors going on and i was told to post here and perhaps someone would be breeding this type of know something about them (Zillera if that is the correct spelling ) Anyway good to post .

#11 2013-11-18 01:51:59

Amblecroft
Website

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#12 2013-11-18 04:34:44

CackleJoy

tt10 wrote:

Hi everyone.
got myself into basue in the summer and now on search to get the breeding right. I have some odd colors going on and i was told to post here and perhaps someone would be breeding this type of know something about them (Zillera if that is the correct spelling ) Anyway good to post .

Welcome, I'm new too so no help from this quarter!  Be fun to learn together :hi:

Adverts

Board footer