Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-10-18 11:57:21

yardbirds

My first EO egg

:jumping:  My first EO egg  at 28 weeks + 1day old.  Bombed from the roost and broken on the coop floor but she is laying now.  The more mille looking one.  I scooped it up off the floor before they could taste it.  :thumbsup:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

2013-10-18 11:57:21

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-10-18 12:41:27

Prairie Chick

Re: My first EO egg

:congrats:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#3 2013-10-18 12:44:45

yardbirds

About the same age as the first EO from you.  Thank you.  Maybe you are onto something about roos stimulating earlier egg production??? :thanks:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#4 2013-10-18 13:06:10

poplar girl
Administrator

I think yardbirds with the days getting shorter this time of year the start of laying has been delayed. My first hatches of the year started to lay early and are still laying. Some of my later hatches I'm still not sure are laying. I turned on some lights a week ago so they have 13 hrs now and their days aren't continuing to get shorter but so far no increase in my eggs. And I don't want to push too hard as i want them to be in good shape to lay hatching eggs come February or so.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2013-10-18 13:12:04

yardbirds

The thing is PG that all of the other pullets that hatched at the same time have been laying for weeks now.  At PC's and the lady she sold a couple to as well.  ???  Mine are the late bloomers....I still have the other to start but I don't think she will for a few weeks yet if her comb and wattle development are indicators.  I am still very happy with them nonetheless.  :EO:

#6 2013-10-18 14:07:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Some days I joke that I need a degree in chicken psychology to understand what's going on yardbirds. Until then :congrats: on your first egg and I wish you many more!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2013-10-18 14:35:01

Amblecroft
Website

:congrats:

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#8 2013-10-18 15:28:45

gmb

:cheer: :congrats: :cheer:

#9 2013-10-18 21:42:08

Flat Rock Farm

:congrats: on your first EO egg!! :jumping: :layer:

#10 2013-10-18 22:46:42

Prairie Chick

See mine started laying weeks ago and have always had a roo with them, as well as the tri Liz got from me.  Allan doesn't have a roo and his haven't started to lay yet.  So I am curious if having a roo around encourages earlier egg laying...wonder if anyone has every done a study

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#11 2013-10-19 11:33:50

yardbirds

:duh:  Seems I was mistaken....the egg broken on the coop floor was not a pale shelled egg but a membrane egg and I found another this morning but on the ground in the run.  I didn't think chickens would go outside the coop in the dark to lay an egg so......hmmmm.....last bird to go inside last night was the barnevelder who was pacing and sort of agitated...I attributed that to her rank in the pecking order and getting a spot on the roost.  The egg I got at lunch time a sort of tan/pink/beige color that I thought was originally a barnevelder egg (wrong color am thinking) was in fact the EO egg as she was on the nest several times in the morning and at coffee time when I came home to retrieve my forgotten wallet and checked and she was determined on that nest.  So although that is great news, am hoping that the barnies shell-less eggs are just a glitch in her egg producing commencement and not an indication of something more serious.  :surfing:

#12 2013-10-19 12:13:08

poplar girl
Administrator

Sorry about your barnies eggs yardbirds. As for the EOs and the color of their eggs, I always find it quite interesting to see what color and shape their eggs will be as they do vary a lot.

#13 2013-10-19 12:18:52

yardbirds

Thanks PG, the barnie was kinda sick and droopy a couple of weeks ago and I dewormed and gave them a treatment of superbooster with antibiotics and she seems fine now.  Still has a bit of a cough so hoping it's not IB and these first couple of eggs is just a glitch with her starting up.  :nervous:  My first EO had very pale cream colored eggs and the hatching eggs I had got from Susan last winter showed a variance in color so I agree it is exciting to see exactly what one gets.  The marraduna has yet to commence laying and I do like the creamy colored eggs so hoping she rewards me with that color that would be a nice variance in the egg basket.  :thumbsup:  :EO:

Adverts

Board footer