Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-04-12 01:11:27

poplar girl
Administrator

Revised EO survey

Below is a revised version of the EO survey. I believe most of the suggestions provided have been considered and incorporated but consider the survey open for suggestions until fall when we ask owners to complete it.

In the fall, I am thinking of seeking permission from other forums to post a link to the survey. I am a member of ACE and WCPS and have no trouble approaching an Administrator on those forums. Would there be anyone wiling to ask on BYC or PSO? Are there other forums with possible EO members we should consider?

In the mean time I want our EOCF members to be able review and keep the survey questions in mind ahead of time so will leave a version here for your comments and review.

2013 North American Euskal oiloa (Basque) Chicken Survey

In the Basque region of Spain where Euskal oiloa (EO) originated, EOs are considered a dual purpose medium weight fowl for production of both meat and eggs. In Spain, these birds are also well-known for their use in ornamental aviculture and their feathers in the production of artificial flies for fishing hooks. Although relatively new to North America, in addition to their productivity and beauty, EOs are becoming more widely recognized as a very friendly and personable poultry breed well suited to many poultry fancier and breeders' needs.

This survey is intended to better understand the North American EO population, the reasons that poultry enthusiasts are choosing to own this breed, and the expectations and aspirations of EO owners. A summary of the survey findings will be posted on the Euskal oiloa chicken forum (EOCF) and can be emailed to participants upon request. The intent is to repeat the survey on an annual basis.

PART A of the survey is intended for all EO owners.

PART B of the survey is intended for all EO breeders. For the purposes of this survey a "breeder" is defined as anyone who hatches eggs or raises chicks or birds with the intent of using those birds to produce more hatching eggs for their own or other people's use.

PART C of the survey is again intended for all EO owners.

PART A - Questions for all Euskal oiloa (EO) owners:

1. For what purpose(s) do you own EOs (choose all that apply): 
Meat
Eggs
Sale of hatching eggs
Sale of chicks or birds
Breeding
Showing
Feathers
Pets/enjoyment
Other (please specify):

2. Choose the answer that best describes your PRIMARY reason for owning EOs:
Meat
Eggs
Sale of hatching eggs
Sale of chicks or birds
Breeding
Showing
Feathers
Pets/enjoyment

3. What varieties of EOs do you own or are you working towards (choose all that apply):  
Marraduna (barred red columbian)
Gorria (red columbian)
Beltza (black)
Zilarra (white columbian)
Lepasoila (naked neck)
Llodiana (blond)
Mille Fleur Marraduna
Mille Fleur Gorria
White (recessive) 
I am not worried about my EOs being a specific color

4. How many years have you owned EOs:
Less than 1 year
1-2 years
2-3 years
3-4 years
4-5 years
6 years or more

5. How many more years do you plan to own EOs:
Less than 1 year
1-5 years
6 years or more

6. How many EOs do you consider part of your 2013 "permanent" flock including both hens/pullets and cockerels/roosters? These would be birds you intend to keep as pets, laying hens or for breeding etc. excluding birds you intend to sell or use for meat production.
10 or less
11-25
26-50
51-100
101 or more

7. A mean production of 200 brown eggs with an average weight of 61g is expected. Do you monitor your EOs for egg production traits?
N/A
Yes
Somewhat
No

8. On average during the first year of egg production how many eggs do your pullets/hens produce:
N/A
I am not sure
Less than 200 eggs
About 200 eggs
More than 200 eggs

9. At one year of age what would the average weight of the eggs your EO hens produce be?
N/A
I am not sure
Less than 61g
About 61g
More than 61g

10. Due to their medium weight EOs are also intended for meat production, expected to reach a liveweight of 2 kg (4.4 lbs) at 13 weeks of age under farm conditions. Do you monitor your EOs for this trait?
N/A
Yes
Somewhat
No

11. On average at 13 weeks of age what weight would your cockerel EOs be:
N/A
I am not sure
Less than 2kg (4.4lbs)
About 2kg (4.4lbs)
More than 2kg (4.4lbs)

PART B: 
The next questions are only applicable to EO breeders. For the purposes of this survey a "breeder" is defined as anyone who hatches EO eggs or raises chicks or birds with the intent of using those birds to produce more hatching eggs for their own or other people's use. Please skip to PART C if this section does not apply to you.

12. How many years have you been breeding EOs:
Less than 1 year
1-2 years
2-3 years
3-4 years
4-5 years
More than 6 years

13. How many more years do you plan to breed EOs?
Less than 1 year
1-5 years
More than 6 years

14. How did you obtain new EOs in 2013 (choose all that apply):
N/A (I did not add any EOs to my flock in 2013)
Chicks from hatching my own EO eggs
Hatching eggs from someone else
Purchased chicks (1 month old or less)
Purchase of birds (more than 1 month old)

15. How many EOs did you hatch or obtain as chicks in 2013? 
N/A (None)
10 or less
11-25
26-50
51-100
101 or more

16. What percent of the EOs you hatched or raised from chicks this year had side sprigs: 
N/A
I did not check 
None
1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-25%
26-50%
Over 50%

17. What percent of the EOs you hatched or raised from chicks this year had feather stubs either on the shank or between the toes:
N/A
I did not check
None
1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-25%
26-50%
Over 50%

18. What percent of the EOs you hatched or raised from chicks this year had crooked toes:
N/A
I did not check
None
1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-25%
26-50%
Over 50%

19. What percentage of the EOs you hatched or raised from chicks this year had a shank color other than yellow (i.e. white, blue or willow):
N/A
I did not check
None
1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-25%
26-50%
Over 50%

20. What percentage of the EOs you hatched or raised from chicks this year had white or partially white earlobes:
N/A
I did not check
None
1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-25%
26-50%
Over 50%

21. Of the marraduna EO cockerels you raised this year and have kept for 8 months or more, what percent had entirely white or black feathers in the tail or entirely white feathers in the wing?
N/A
I did not check
None
1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-25%
26-50%
Over 50%

22. Standard live weights for the breed are: Cockerel.....6.5 lbs. What percent of the EO cockerels you hatched or obtained as chicks this year would not attain a live weight within 20% of the standard (between 5.2 and 7.8 lbs) prior to 1 year of age:
N/A
I did not check
None
1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-25%
26-50%
Over 50%

23. Standard live weights for the breed are: Pullet.........4.5 lbs. What percent of the EO pullets you hatched or obtained as chicks this year would not attain a live weight within 20% of the standard (between 3.6 and 5.4 lbs) prior to 1 year of age:
N/A
I did not check
None
1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-25%
26-50%
Over 50%

24. There are a variety of characteristics both general (see pages 32-34 of the 2010 America  Poultry Association Standard of Perfection) and specific to EOs (http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=558) that would warrant disqualification of an EO at a show. What percent of the EOs you hatched or obtained as chicks this year would you estimate would be disqualified for one or more reasons:
N/A
I did not check
None
1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-25%
26-50%
50-75%
Over 76%

25. The current draft North American SOP for marraduna EOs was translated from Spanish and states that the eye color should be brown. The eye color may be better described as "chestnut" when translation from Spanish to English. What eye color would best describe the majority of your EOs eyes?
N/A or I have no preference
Brown
Chestnut
Other (please specify):

26. The current draft North American SOP, a direct translation of the Spanish SOP, states that the comb should have 5 to 7 points. A specific number of points must be specified in a North American SOP. What number of points on the comb should the North American SOP specify?
N/A or I have no preference
Other (Please Specify):

27. What percent of the marraduna EOs you hatched or obtained as chicks in 2013 would be reasonably true to type, color, size and comb according to the draft North American SOP for marraduna EOs?
N/A
I did not check
None
10% or less
11-25%
26-50%
51-75%
76% or more

28. How many of the 2013 EOs you hatched or obtained as chicks do you intend to use for breeding?
N/A
None
10% or less
11-25%
26-50%
51-75%
76% or more

29. How many breeding quality EO hens and pullets will remain in your flock over winter:
N/A (None)
1-5
6-10
11-20
21-50
51 or more

30. How many breeding quality EO cockerels and roosters will remain in your flock over winter:
N/A (None)
3-5
6 or more

31. For a new breed or variety to be recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA) the following criteria must be met:
- "Affidavits ... from not less than five breeders stating they have bred the breed or variety for not less than five years and that it produces not less than 50% of all specimens reasonably true to type, color, size and comb"
- "Certificates showing two or more specimens have been exhibited in each class of cocks, hens, cockerels and pullets in each of the two preceding years at a show officiated by a licensed APA judge. The Secretary shall contact the judge for his or her confidential opinion of the quality and uniformity"
- "a qualifying meet at a designated prominent show to be judged by a licensed APA judge...not less than fifty (50) specimens exhibited by at least five exhibitors in call classes of cock, hen, cockerel, and pullet" 
Five years or more from now, would you be willing participate in the process of having EOs recognized by the APA as one of the five required breeders and exhibitors?
No
Yes
Maybe but I am not sure at this time

PART C: 

Where did you find out about this survey:
Euskal oiloa Chicken Forum
Another forum (please specify):
From another EO owner
Other (please specify):

Without seeking further permission from you, the information below will only be shared with the organizers of this survey. If you do not wish to disclose some or any of the information requested below please leave it blank:
First and Last Name:
Farm or Business Name (if applicable):
Mailing Address:
E-mail Address:
Phone Number:
EOCF Username (if applicable):
Other Forum Username (if applicable and different from above):

If you have provided an email address a summary of the results of the survey can be sent to you by email. Would you like to receive a summary of the survey results by email?
Yes
No

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. Your comments and suggestions are welcome, please state them below:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-04-12 01:11:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-04-12 19:45:10

hollowridge

Re: Revised EO survey

Hi, read the whole survey over and figure you should get some great information from it.

We are new to the E.O.'s but have other chickens and do lots of these checks.  eg.  #7 asked about egg weight and production.  We do this with our others and plan to do it with the E.O.'s so I didn't know if another answer may be " plan to in future" and the same with # 10. 
Not sure if that answer would be of any value to you.:huh:

We are not into the breeding part YET or might never, but we plan to hatch our own so the questions are good ones for us to keep a look and a check for.

Can't wait to see the resuls for we are just learning on this breed.  Thanks. :shock:

#3 2013-10-07 10:58:40

poplar girl
Administrator

I think the time of year has arrived to take one more look at this survey for edit suggestions and then ditribute it. Or is it still too soon?

If members can take the time to provide any feedback this week I will try to get the survey into an online tool such as Survey Monkey next weekend. If we need more time for feedback that's okay, i can make minor edits to the survey even after its entered. Any members that would rather fill it out another way (email, on paper and mail it to me) will also be welcome to do it that way.

And do we wish to post a link to the survey on other forums? Ones I can think of include:
Backyard Chickens (BYC)
Alberta Chickens Etc. (ACE)
Western Canadian Poulty Swap (WCPS)
Poultry Swap Ontario (PSO)
Others??
We would be requesting permission to provide a brief description of the survey and post a link to it on these forums. For BYC and PSO I don't frequent those forums so it would be great if there was a volunteer to approach a forum administrator for permission.

Member input please!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2013-10-07 12:38:45

Flat Rock Farm

PG I will print it off, fill it out and mail it to you this week.  Sound good??

#5 2013-10-07 12:51:23

gubi
Website

What about length of head?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2013-10-08 00:00:59

Micah and Kiah

Some of the show guys gave me ideas about the wording of the standard of tail angle, length and width of back as well as the way the beak is described, just the verb doesn't translate they thought to be as useful as possible.

Oh.  I am in the wrong strand... Um, good idea about filling out the survey.  As soon as  the post Mount Forest fever clears I'll get on it

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#7 2013-10-08 01:25:00

poplar girl
Administrator

Sorry folks I think I confused most of you by tacking a new post onto an old one...please read post #3.

Gubi I would need clarity on how to judge length of head before I think we'd get any value on asking the question. Let's see where discussions on the other threads on that topic go...

Adverts

Board footer