Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-09-17 04:17:54

poplar girl
Administrator

Only 39, hum...I must have miscounted...

Today was D-day for 8 turkeys and 40 chickens. Always a sad day but one can't keep all those that hatch.

When we went to pickup the birds the processor said there were only 39. They counted twice just to be sure. Well I thought I must have miscounted although I wasn't sure how as I knew there should be 40.

When we got home this evening I was checking on the keeper cockerels. And what did I see but TWO gorria boys and one with no legband together on the roost. Oh oh. And there stands the 40th bird.

So that leaves me with 4 EO cockerels and 3 roosters. 7 boys to overwinter :shock:

The really neat part is the escapee was the gorria runner up. I debated over whether to keep him or his brother for a good half hour last week. So fate perhaps?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-09-17 04:17:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-09-17 16:04:07

hollowridge

Re: Only 39, hum...I must have miscounted...

Poplar girl,

It was fate for sure.  We had 4 Australorp roosters we were going to kill, getting too loud and rough for all of them.  When my husband penned up the 4 and started taking 1 by 1 out and over to do the deed, he must have had his fill, cause when it came to the 4th one he said "oh well leave him and see what happens".  Well it has been about 2 months now, and what a great rooster he is. :applause: I call him Oliver (the olive branch) because he is a peace maker.  Any ruckus in the yard or coop and he is over there and stops the bad behavior, he is great with the girls and great with all over head threats and calls a warning up. He is wonderful with us, not cuddly, but we never have to worry about turning our back on him like we did with the others.

He may become your number 1 Roo !!  :thumbs:

#3 2013-09-17 20:00:45

Flat Rock Farm

I agree with Hollowridge, fate for sure!!  As my Gram used to always say "things happen for a reason".  So lets hopes there a reason for him being missed ;)

#4 2013-09-18 20:55:07

NaturesPace
Website

lucky guy. hope he ends up being a great boy for your girls.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

Adverts

Board footer