Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-09-08 23:17:23

Prairie Chick

what are keeps and what aren't? I have no clue....Pic heavy

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/saskerr/IMG_1229800x533_zpsc64d0da4.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/saskerr/IMG_1226800x533_zps3561bb94.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/saskerr/IMG_1222800x533_zps3d17a374.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/saskerr/IMG_1208_zpsa1690a40.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/saskerr/IMG_1210_zps743cb6d1.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/saskerr/IMG_1213_zps9a0edb84.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/saskerr/IMG_1234800x533_zps723c2134.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/saskerr/IMG_1233_zps5c680f53.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/saskerr/IMG_1228800x533_zps3319d9d8.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww52/saskerr/IMG_1227800x533_zpse6e120fc.jpg

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

2013-09-08 23:17:23

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-09-09 00:20:01

yardbirds

Re: what are keeps and what aren't? I have no clue....Pic heavy

:love:  Just beautiful, all of them. Sorry I don't know enough about any of them to know what is a breeder and what is not.  Looks like some of your pullets are maturing faster than my two.  I love the two roos in pic one, the one in the centre of pic 3 (is he the same one as in pic #1 ?) and the one in the 3rd last pic.  All of the girls are beauties.  :thumbsup:  :congrats:

Last edited by yardbirds (2013-09-09 00:24:45)

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#3 2013-09-09 00:41:54

Flat Rock Farm

picture #1 the one on the right would be the keeper IMO

picture #2 the two in the front.

picture # 3 the one in front of the feeder.

picture #4 the one the perch looks good even though it's a butt shot.

All your pullets look lovely.

Nice birds PC :thumbsup:

#4 2013-09-09 01:11:09

Micah and Kiah

Pic 1 the boy on the right is stunning
Pic two both boys are nice so compare the "barns"  how close to type are they for their age, are they the same age?  then compare depth of chest, back...and then get to the finer points like combs (any stubs or clavel comb?) 
Pic three same advice as above
love the pullet in pic 7
The two pullets side by side in pic nine are awesome
You have some good solid bodied pullets and looks like a few that carry the mille gene
:congrats:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#5 2013-09-09 01:15:19

yardbirds

If I had to pick only one...it would be the one in pic #3 in front of the feeder.  Now a question that may be out of total ignorance but here goes...

Would it be best to keep two roos as in the ones in pic #1 just for genetic diversity, and pick and choose their resulting offspring according to the color, comb, leg color, beak color, shape and size, health, vigour, productivity/carcass/egg production, and maturity rates, etc.,  in resulting generations?

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#6 2013-09-09 01:28:03

Maggiesdad

Wow! Awesome choices PC! Wish I could get my hands on them! :excited:

If I was you I'd set two pens, a trio in each...  your best four pullets - the two darkest girls with the light cockerel, and the two best lighter girls with your best dark cockerel, then hatch like the dickens and see what happens.

Do you have an APA SOP? The first 40 pages in there tell you how the structure is supposed to be. If you don't have that the ALBC has good stuff on selection of breeding stock, too. On the pullets look for 2-1/2 to 3 fingers of pelvic spacing, and 4 -5 fingers of abdominal depth. (Do you have big hands? :P) This check is for after their first 30 eggs... Check the boys the same way for width and depth. Watch them to see who has good leg spacing, no knock knees.

There's tons of stuff to look for, but heck your barn's boards came already painted! :love:

#7 2013-09-09 01:36:01

Maggiesdad

yardbirds wrote:

If I had to pick only one...it would be the one in pic #3 in front of the feeder.  Now a question that may be out of total ignorance but here goes...

Would it be best to keep two roos as in the ones in pic #1 just for genetic diversity, and pick and choose their resulting offspring according to the color, comb, leg color, beak color, shape and size, health, vigour, productivity/carcass/egg production, and maturity rates, etc.,  in resulting generations?

To me, this is primary importance... feathers (color) are secondary. I would watch for who had the tighter feathering, that would pay off with y'alls colder winters.

#8 2013-09-09 01:39:56

Maggiesdad

Are these from your hatchings, PC? If they are, I'd roll the best of the best back to the parent stock...

#9 2013-09-09 02:33:21

poplar girl
Administrator

It's hard to comment on type from the photos but I think you have severel very nice roosters there. It looks to me like many are heterozygous barred (I.e. part way between marraduna and gorria). 1st photo center is for sure a marraduna. To his right I would say hetero. Also both Roos in photo #2 look to be herterozygous.

I definately think you have some nice boys to work with their PC. Wish I could come help you choose who to keep in person...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2013-09-09 03:02:56

Maggiesdad

Ack! Every time I start thinking about genetics, my head starts hurting... :Crazy:

PG - if they (Ks) were hetero, where would they have come from, Hetero C and Gorria H?   Is there another combination that will produce hetero Ks?

I've got a few boys left that look like those darker boys... Most of them are in the freezer now! :eat: :oops: They came from NP's C and my darker girls... but they aren't gorria. :huh:

#11 2013-09-09 11:14:45

poplar girl
Administrator

I could be wrong MD. IF they are heterozygous barred they could be from a gorria hen and marraduna rooster. OR marraduna hen and gorria rooster. OR marraduna hen and heterozygous rooster. I think these hatching eggs were from Island Girl so we will need to wait for Prairie Chick and Island Girl to let us know if that's a possibility.

For reference, this is Adonis my first heterozygous EO. He was meaner than mean so is no longer with me but he was definately heterozygous barred as I raised a spring worth of chicks from him which is where some of my gorria hens came from.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/2dc29890.jpg

PC one thing to look for would be how barred the darker boys tails are. I have found that barring in the body on a hetero Roo varies but there should be some black or virtually black tail feathers to give them away. If not MD is probably right and they are just very dark red marraduna...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2013-09-09 12:19:45

Maggiesdad

Yup - in PC's 5th pic you can see that boy is running full beetle green feathers in there...

#13 2013-09-09 13:58:58

Prairie Chick

Sorry guys I was posting a response in bed last night and the ipad died...thanks to the house bunny I now have a cord in about 10 pieces :stomp: I will have to run to the city for a new cord.
The eggs are from Monika, so not sure on the parents.
I don't want to keep more than 2 roos, so the idea of having 2 trios with dark/light roo and light/dark roo sounds like a good plan.
So is a heterozygous roo good or bad? There is a mille pair, I really am not interested in breeding mille's so should I cull them or can I use the hen or should i offer them up for sale?  There is a lighter color roo (don't know what they are called) that is a really nice big size but he is a bit of a bully, he might need a time out!

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles

#14 2013-09-09 21:37:16

Maggiesdad

Hetero is good, cuz with that you can do gorria, thence clean marraduna...

#15 2013-09-10 11:23:44

poplar girl
Administrator

I also had a reply typed last night and "poof" :banginghead:

The colors to keep mostly depend on what colors you want in your flock. The heterozygous barred (darker) boys are 1/2 way to gorria. If you breed them you will get more dark boys and likely some gorria (unbarred red) pullets. If you keep using the dark Roos and hens you will get gorria (unbarred red) in roosters as well within a couple generations.

I raise both gorria and marraduna and cross the two varieties since the only difference genetically is the barring. My reasons are to keep up genetic diversity but also to help with cleaning up the marraduna color as MD has suggested, I find it easier to see what I've got on the red background.

As for the other colors, if you can sell the miles as a pair that would be a good option. But breeding your Mille hen would also be okay. You may get some Mille chicks from her but you are likely to get some solid colored ones too. For me I have used a few Mille hens for breeding if they were very nice otherwise and then just culled the chicks to keep only the solid colored ones. The white and black Roo I would eat even if he's large. That silver light color keeps coming through and is hard to get out of your lines.

But in the end it's up to you PC.

Are all these birds from only one of IGs roosters or are there chicks from a couple different roosters? The EOs seem to handle inbreeding very well but if all the chicks are from just one rooster you may want to consider a rooster from elsewhere to add some new blood. If not next spring than at least on the next generation...

#16 2013-09-10 14:43:47

Prairie Chick

I am not sure, will have to ask Monika.  I also have a roo here from egg from Claire, he is about 3 yrs old so he can be used also.

I kind of like both the gorria and the marraduna...eeek!

#17 2013-09-17 17:23:51

Prairie Chick

Maggiesdad wrote:

Yup - in PC's 5th pic you can see that boy is running full beetle green feathers in there...

So what does this mean?  Should I keep the Roo with the beetle green tail feathers?
I will be picking my keeps asap

#18 2013-09-17 20:05:30

Flat Rock Farm

I am not sure on if you should keep the one with the Beetle Green tail feathers??  This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth :huh:  If I had to pick a rooster from what I see in your pictures I would choose the rooster in picture # 2 the one at the front right.  He seems to have nice comb, yellow legs and beak, feather colour is good and nice gold chest with no dark or grey.

#19 2013-09-18 02:58:17

poplar girl
Administrator

The beetle green just means he is likely heterozygous barred PC, in other words he is half way to gorria.

Did you have a chance to ask Island Girl if it's possible these guys are a mix of the two varieties? I am 95% sure that I'm right but it would be good to see what Monika says before choosing.

#20 2013-09-18 11:41:13

Maggiesdad

Feathers are the least of your worries when you're starting your lines for improvement.  Select for type and egg capacity.

#21 2013-09-18 13:44:49

Prairie Chick

Maggiesdad wrote:

Feathers are the least of your worries when you're starting your lines for improvement.  Select for type and egg capacity.

Well I guarantee the Roos egg capacity will be zero :funny:

I just need to decide which 2 Roos I will be keeping, I will be keeping all 7 hens.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice, I appreciate it.  I have now separated the hens from the Roos so it will be easier to pick.

#22 2013-09-18 13:55:28

Maggiesdad

:lol: He can still pass his good egg laying type on to his daughters!  You're looking for the widest pelvic bone spacing, keen pelvic bone tips and good depth from pelvic bones to keel bone. Room for egg equipment in the bone structure of the rear is important.

#23 2013-09-18 16:54:02

Island Girl

Who hoo this is me doing a happy dance. I have so much to say and no time right now to say it, arghhhh!!! PC can I call you please tonight? I will get back on later and answer everything I can and then tell you all my summer findings too.

XOX Monika

BEAUTIES!!!

Adverts

Board footer