Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-09-06 23:14:46

poplar girl
Administrator

Fall 2013: the lucky boys

These are photoes taken today of the three cockerels I have chosen to keep as potential breeders for next year.

Marraduna cockerel. He is BHR "Side sprig" x SLF "Purple". 22 weeks.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/825081cf759c36ca66cdf9c27109f6d7.jpg

Gorria cockerel. BHR "Red" x BHR "Old Gorria". 22 weeks.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/9c8a34e07566d16e007bb16ea424794e.jpg

Heterozygous barred cockerel. BHR "Little Guy" x "Blue". 18 weeks.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/0364d860c36098545ea63848b1ff6cae.jpg

In addition to these boys I have kept back 8 marraduna and 6 gorria pullets from this years hatch. The pullets have representatives from 8 different pair matings.

I hatched 91 EOs this year so that's 19% kept as possible breeders. I suspect only about half of the pullets I will actually use for breeding so I should be close to the golden 10% rule.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-09-06 23:14:46

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-09-07 12:12:01

Maggiesdad

Re: Fall 2013: the lucky boys

:jumping::love: Pullets next, please!

#3 2013-09-07 12:36:56

yardbirds

I love my two EO pullets.  I am so happy there are people out there like all of you that have enabled the rest of us. :thumbsup:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#4 2013-09-07 16:38:38

Prairie Chick

I have to thin out my boys, will go take pic's and get opinions.  :)

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#5 2013-09-07 18:58:46

Micah and Kiah

Nice boys!  It is great to have this forum to share our photos and get feedback on the keepers

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#6 2013-09-08 13:22:58

poplar girl
Administrator

Do you think the gorria cockerel is too brown/orange? Here is a photo from feather site (by the way all the links are updated on feather site and reference our forum, scratch cradle, Claire's website etc).
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/8626f0d27d95e159f25968120bfd6d5d.jpg

Do you think the difference is just the light or is my boy not red enough?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2013-09-08 14:25:46

Flat Rock Farm

I think it's just the light is different and your boy is only 22 weeks the Feathersite is a mature male :huh:

#8 2013-09-08 16:38:35

Maggiesdad

I think your boy is just fine. I imagine a shade darker than a GNH but lighter than a true RIR. The feathersite pic looks washed out and overexposed to me. I like your boy's type better too, and the best of all three of your Ks. I'd love to see him (his carriage)when he gets his sickle feathers and gets to hang with his own hens, no competition from other Ks. The Feathersite C's tail looks 90° (squirrely) to me.

#9 2013-09-08 19:04:06

poplar girl
Administrator

Thanks guys! MD I will make sure to post pics when they are more mature and not on the run from the other boys! The rest of the young lads have a date with the freezer on Sept 16.

#10 2013-09-09 00:02:44

gubi
Website

I like your gorria boy the best too!  He looks a lot heavier then the other two.  Your marraduna looks like he has a shorter back but it could be just the angle of the picture.  It looks like you have been selecting heavily on combs.  On the marraduna would his comb count as 4 points or 5?  To me it is sometimes hard to tell what is called a point and what's not.  They look like 3 nice cockerels to me.  Lets hear how you break them down.  I have a few here to select from too.  I found last year it was hard to find a keeper or two this year it is harder to decide who to process.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#11 2013-09-09 02:27:26

poplar girl
Administrator

Well no perfect roosters so far but I think all three of these boys have some potential.

Marraduna boy is actually quite large, perhaps the picture does not do him justice but he seems less solid (more feathers than meat) when you pick him up. Not sure if his back is shorter than the gorria boy or not gubi but i do like his type. He has 5 points on his comb, a very nice comb in fact. He has a small wrinkle in his wattle (a common problem on all the cockerels from this pair mating). Beak has a tiny bit of color but not much. Feather color is okay, he has a bit too much grey in his chest. Nice tail with good long feathers. Temperament seems okay.

Gorria boy is not huge but is a pretty good weight (I have to admit I haven't weighted them). The boys from another pair maiting look "rounder" but i like his type better. His comb is pretty good, he has a double point which I can't recall if that's a disqualification, I hope not. His beak has some dark pigment to it, most of my gorria's do. His tail is a bit short and will likely stay that way. Some of his tail feathers also have a bit of red edge which I hope will go away. I like his feather color quite a lot aside from that. Temperment seems good. His mom is my oldest basque, I believe she is 5 this coming spring, and was still laying amazingly well when I collected hatching eggs.

The heterozygous boy I like his type too. One of his brothers is larger but has a mean disposition and also is on his way to having split wing. This fellow has a bit of pigment to his beak but not too much. Comb is pretty good.  Nice long tail feathers but again some red lacing to the edges. A bit too much black in his body but otherwise good color.

All three have a pretty good tail angle, I have noticed some with a low tail.

And they are genetically diverse both from each other and from the pullets I have kept.

I will be keeping at least one marraduna cock (Little Guy) for one more year. I am debating whether to keep my heterozygous barred roo Red as well. My SLF cock Ontario will need to go, he is super mean. And I think Side Sprig may also have to go because of that side sprig but if not for that he is a very nice rooster so I may also keep him.

I will try to find time to share pullet pictures, i have some nice girls that I think are picture worthy as well. And some nice hens that I may try breeding again too.

Adverts

Board footer