Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-08-17 17:36:19

PeterJ

Hi there!

We moved to Berwick in the Annapolis Valley from Abbotsford BC to be closer to the grandchildren. They bought me 4 chicks (layers I am told) for my birthday. Had to build the coop around them....fun. I had no idea or knowledge about chickens(city boy). Have since discovered it is fun to raise chickens and I am looking forward to the first egg.Our hens are just about ready I think. This breed of chicken(Euskal Oiloa ) would make a great addition to my little flock. Any idea where I might purchase a couple of hens? Pictures of my coop and first egg to follow.

2013-08-17 17:36:19

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-08-17 17:49:20

Maggiesdad

Re: Hi there!

Welcome to the EOCF!  :welcome:

I'm stateside :US:, but I believe we have several members in Nova Scotia that would be more than willing to help you.
:EO:

#3 2013-08-17 18:38:10

Flat Rock Farm

Peterj..........:welcome:

Yes we do have a couple members in NS that I am sure may be able to help you get set up with this wonderful breed.  :EO:

Enjoy the forum!!!  :thumbsup:

#4 2013-08-17 21:54:48

NaturesPace
Website

Welcome! Glad you are enjoying your flock. EOs will make a nice addition. :hi:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2013-08-17 22:22:31

Susan
Administrator

Welcome! You will love them!

#6 2013-08-17 23:14:15

Micah and Kiah

:welcome::jumping::EO:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#7 2013-08-17 23:26:03

gubi
Website

:welcome: :EO:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2013-08-18 01:06:09

yardbirds

:welcome: and yes :EO:  am sure the Nova Scotia members will be more than happy to help you out.

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#9 2013-08-18 13:27:05

gmb

:welcome: Peter :EO: I'm a newbie to them and very very true they are so very friendly!!!! :love: and this is an awesome group everybody so friendly just like the eo's :thumbsup: to the forum!:happycrowd"

#10 2013-08-18 13:28:15

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: PeterJ

Riverbendfarm is one member from NS that I think may be a good person to contact in regards to a few EOs.

Sounds like this winter will be your first with the chickens. Is your new coop built with winter in mind? I know for me winter is my flock controlling mechanism, spring summer and fall are the easy seasons but how many chickens I can comfortably overwinter keeps me in check :snowman:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2013-08-19 13:00:13

hollowridge

Hello and welcome to Nova Scotia!!!  You will love this province :thumbs: We are south of you close to Bridgewater Nova Scotia.  We got our first E.O.'s this year and from Riverbend in the form of hatching eggs.  They are a pretty breed with the roosters having great temperament and our pullets laid at 17 weeks.  =D There are a few people around here that could help you with this breed. 

:cozy: Winters can get a bit cold here compared to B.C. We have an insulated coop and have electricity run(big extension cord) so we can have heat when it gets too cold. But we have lots of blue sky!
:welcome:

#12 2013-08-28 22:37:04

riverbendfarm
Website

Welcome PeterJ. I have a small farm just outside of Bridgewater, not much more than an hour from you. I breed Euskal Oiloa, and should have chicks for sale this spring. If you prefer to hatch your own I can get you hatching eggs in a few months as well. My pullet eggs are still small with the hens I am breeding from this coming year, and my 3 original girls have taken a long, sporadic break this summer (little buggers haven't laid regularly since April :stomp:). I have two lines that I am developing and will have chicks and eggs available probably around February. I have no hens for sale right now as I have made my breeding selections for the year. I do have a couple of nice roosters that are free but most people don't need them so they will join the soup crew in a couple of weeks. Hopefully you will still be interested come spring.

I keep my hens in uninsulated coops and used heat lamps last year, and as long as you can keep them draft free they are pretty well adapted to cold. This of course varies by breed. My Buff Orpingtons are the hardiest, being the only birds I know that dress for the Canadian winters. They play in the snow at -10 :Crazy:. The EOs require a bit more care, and like the cold somewhat less. If you need some birds I can certainly set you up. Welcome to the forum. :EO:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#13 2013-08-29 16:36:44

Island Girl

Welcome to the site, you will find the people here friendly and informative. I think you have made a great bird choice :EO:

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer