Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-08-11 05:56:51

Island Girl

EO Coombs' fair results August 2013

I will start this post by saying poultry judge Heather Hayes is an incredibly kind and knowledgeable person who graciously took the time to personally review with me, our working standard and my three entered birds. Studly, Studmuffin (tends to go by the nickname Muffy) and one unnamed pullet were entered into the show. What an incredible experience for me! She handed me her copy of our working standard and a pen and said "I'll talk and you can take your notes" Can you say finger cramp ... lol! To read and try to mentally picture what is being written in the standard is one thing but to have her point to a feather and say "this is what you are looking for it means this and your bird has it, do you see that?" Wow this is exactly what I needed to be able to learn and retain the information. I am very happy to report that she was pleased with Mr Studly. But before she had even taken Muffy out of his cage she knew that he was a better bird. But I am getting ahead of myself, MrStudly has good size, color, good eyes, legs, his comb was fine (whew) and is  generally a good bird. But Heather was VERY  pleased with Muffy! He has better width and his color is even better than Mr Studly and she showed me why. All other areas were good except she would like to have seen his legs a bit more yellow and that can be improved with diet. Cracked corn and a handful of daily green grass would do wonders for himl.  He does have 8 points on his comb and that is one too many I believe :duh: but she was so happy with him he won best in breed and champion cockerel for all other varieties. Heather did ask if I knew the weights of my birds which I don't but I will have them on the scale by tomorrow night and will let her know. Of course no ribbons as this was an APA sanctioned show but what I find so exciting is that my second generation breeding is an improvement over the generation before it, yay!! This is good, right? The little pullet was good but she did ask if I had a less straw colored girl and to be careful breeding straw colored girls as that color will go to the next generation males. Also her comb looked as if may start to flop so I should not breed her, I do have another girl that I now can see would have been a better choice for the show. I will switch her up for the next show in a couple weeks.

Its so good to now know that for next year, God be willing, I should be breeding Muffy to my older unrelated hens and that I have a much clearer vision of what those hens should look like. I believe I have only three or four hens that I would consider using next breeding season. Who knows I actually my be able to help you choose your breeders   :P

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2014-01-07 06:41:48)

2013-08-11 05:56:51

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-08-11 11:17:46

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Re: EO Coombs' fair results August 2013

Martin Grove Farm wrote:

What an amazing experience.  You are very lucky that she was willing to take the time and point things out to you.   I hear the excitement in you words and to go home knowing that you are on the right track with these birds must make you feel even better.  We all need that confirmation from an "expert" every now and then.

:Congrats2: to you, Muffy, Mr. Studly and the unnamed pullet.  clpz

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#3 2013-08-11 11:49:10

Lisa

Monika,

:congrats: to you and your posse!

Sounds like the judge was really generous with her time and knowledge. What a terrific experience!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#4 2013-08-11 12:02:18

Maggiesdad

:congrats: :jumping: :jumping: :excited: :jumping: :jumping:

:happycrowd"

:love:

:thumbsup:

#5 2013-08-11 12:51:29

yardbirds

:congrats:  Monika  what an amazing experience and knowing you are on track has to make you feel elated.  Knowing that you were apprehensive about breeding and even offering hatching eggs and chicks for sale, this is such a reward for your efforts.  :excited: and again :congrats:  :EO: :goodthread: :applause:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#6 2013-08-11 13:14:22

poplar girl
Administrator

:congrats: Monika on your birds doing well. And I am SO happy Heather took time with you and the birds, she is amazing in her knowlege and dedication.

No comments or suggested changes to the SOP?

And the big question, did you take pictures :pics:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2013-08-11 13:45:48

Susan
Administrator

Way to go Monika! What another great step for our wonderful birds! Thanks for all your hard work! :happycrowd"

#8 2013-08-12 01:41:00

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

What a great experience!   Congratulations on breeding them, showing them and your awesome results!   :jumping:

#9 2013-08-12 15:39:41

Micah and Kiah

:congrats::congrats:   What a wonderful experience.  Would love photos of Muffy!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#10 2013-08-12 16:11:39

gmb

:congrats: !!!!!

#11 2013-08-12 16:23:30

Lady leghorn
Website

:congrats:  So glad you did well and discovered so many interesting things.    :applause:     

Sounds like in the future Studmuffin and his  girls will be the way to go on a few fertile eggs.   :thumbsup:

#12 2013-08-12 19:21:16

Flat Rock Farm

Way to go Monika!!  :cheer:

:congrats: :excited:

#13 2013-08-12 21:37:11

Little Boy Blue
Website

Good to hear that you got the standard and some birds in front of a judge.  Please do share photos and notes.

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#14 2013-08-14 04:32:55

Lady leghorn
Website

Yes we need photos of Studmuffin.  :please:  Really want to see the good looking Boy.  :excited:

#15 2013-08-27 12:57:29

kenya

:congrats:  Sounds like you had fun and got lots of great info.We need pictures!!  Please Please Please

#16 2013-08-27 15:55:47

Island Girl

I have been neglectful of my EO friends :oops:  we are in a frenzy trying to get our coop done before Friday and have been working nonstop on it between poultry shows in Coombs (Heather Hayes) and the Comox  exhibition (Rico S.) this past weekend, both of which I was involved with on a volunteer basis and both of which I had EOs and Porcelain Booted Bantams in. We leave Saturday for our son's wedding in Hawaii :thumbsup::cheer:  I have been promising pictures and I will do it when my body gives out and only my fingers will work, lol. I have to tell you my little booted bantam roo won Reserve Bantam chicken and Champion in class rosettes, very cool! More later.... I have to go out and work on the wire roof in the rain, blah!

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer