Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-07-30 15:20:41

OR4-hmom

Is there an accepted standard?

My daughter has desired to enter some MB at our county fair.  I'm wondering if there is an accepted standard?  I remember our judge saying he had judged in England.  I'm wondering if I need to have an SOP with MB so we can go over points to work on going forward.

2013-07-30 15:20:41

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-07-31 03:06:30

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Is there an accepted standard?

I am thinking MB is marraduna basques??

EOs are not a breed recognized by the American Poultry Association. But we do have a draft Standard of Perfection, Here is a link. http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=558

I entered some marraduna and gorria basques in a show just a few weeks ago. They only compete against themselves or other breeds not recognized by the APA. I emailed the judge a copy of the SOP before the show, there is a thread on here where I posted some of his feedback.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2013-07-31 03:10:44

poplar girl
Administrator

And here is the tread on the show I just attended. http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1681

A few other forum members have also entered EOs in poultry shows over the paster year or two.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2013-07-31 11:47:16

Maggiesdad

+1 on what PG said, and I'd like to add you should definitely have a copy for the judge to refer to - they are supposed to refresh their memories of the SOP before judging the various breeds.

There are details that haven't been resolved for the proposed APA standard, like a set number of comb points instead of a range of 5-7, and the proper descriptor of the proper eye color, but there is definitely enough there to strike up a conversation with the judge. (at the appropriate time , of course).

Glen

#5 2013-07-31 16:43:36

Flat Rock Farm

I did the same when I entered them in the Sarnia show in February.  I gave the the judges a copy of the SOP, it was fun to enter them and people attending were very interested in them.  Well worth it for the exposure :thumbs:

#6 2013-07-31 18:29:31

OR4-hmom

I thought there was an accepted standard from Spain but have no idea where I would find a translated copy.  So I should just provide him with a copy of what we are working towards?  We have the judge for the full day and he is very open to sharing his knowledge and opinions.  He enjoys the pickles and jams I make for him as our 4-H "Thank You" gift and has always given of his time generously!

#7 2013-08-01 00:52:48

poplar girl
Administrator

This standard is more or less a translated version of the Spanish standard but the APA requires a specific format and more of a description of certain characteristics so we did fill in some details. A thorough reading by a judge with some feedback would be wonderful :thumbs: Sadly so far we lack painting of our breed and the Spanish standar has none that I am aware of.

On number of points on the comb and eye color we intend to survey our members on these two in the fall. A specific number if points (either 5,6 or 7) will be chosen. Brown eye color will likely become chestnut or bay.

#8 2013-08-01 15:03:25

mikencarol

.........I PROMISE those jellies and jams will make anyone Stop and Listen!  :thumbsup:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#9 2013-08-01 15:23:19

OR4-hmom

Yeah he is a big fan.  When they get home they hide them from the kids.  I've run into them at a few shows and they ask if I brought any with me.  I may have to think about loaded canned goods AND chickens.

Adverts

Board footer