Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-10-03 01:21:51

Lisa

Cockerals for critique.....

Hello Euskies! =D

Here is the update from the EO examination today. Your on-site team (LindyLou, Helliefant, Lisa and 2 DH/photographers) worked hard today to observe and record info about these seven 19-week old cockerals. They are from Claire, sons of Curly (mothers variable). The birds are roughly rank-ordered. It was fairly easy to pick out the #1 bird, and numbers 6 and 7 are likely headed for freezer camp. The ones in the middle are the problem, as they all have various good points/faults. I can keep 2, or 3 at the absolute most. Some may be worth trying to re-home in case we need the genes later. The birds were rated using Susan's system - leg colour, size, comb (single/clavell/side sprig), overall colour and temperament. None of the roosters is overly aggressive/attacks - worst temperament are a few biters. I have no idea how they are with hens - they haven't been allowed to try! All ratings are compared against each other. Here are the contestants..... Opinions please!!:thumbs:

Roo 1: Yellow legs, good size, single comb, not too much grey, best temperament
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/EO%20Cockerals%20Oct%202%202011%2019%20weeks/DSC_0278.jpg

Roo 2: White legs, good size, single comb, quite light (white bloomers), good temperament
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/EO%20Cockerals%20Oct%202%202011%2019%20weeks/DSC_0265.jpg

Roo 3: Yellow legs, good size, single comb (may have side sprig starting), colour too grey, good temperament
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/EO%20Cockerals%20Oct%202%202011%2019%20weeks/DSC_0289.jpg

Roo 4: Yellow legs, a bit small, single comb (may have side sprig starting), colour too grey, ok temperament
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/EO%20Cockerals%20Oct%202%202011%2019%20weeks/DSC_0296.jpg

Roo 5: Yellow legs, good size, single comb, almost entirely grey (a little brown on back), ok temperament
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/EO%20Cockerals%20Oct%202%202011%2019%20weeks/DSC_0263.jpg

Roo 6: White legs, small, single comb, colour vivid (too grey, too red), bites
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/EO%20Cockerals%20Oct%202%202011%2019%20weeks/DSC_0257.jpg

Roo 7: White legs, good size, clavell comb, colour vivid (too grey, too red), bites
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/EO%20Cockerals%20Oct%202%202011%2019%20weeks/DSC_0259.jpg

Your on-site team, hard at work!
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i462/lisa_weaver29/EO%20Cockerals%20Oct%202%202011%2019%20weeks/DSC_0298.jpg

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-10-03 01:21:51

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-10-03 01:36:33

gubi
Website

Re: Cockerals for critique.....

good job guys, I should have gotten you guys to inspect my roosters too!  I would keep 1-3.  I really like 1 and 2 but would keep 3 as a second back up.  What are your pullets like?  Do they have nice yellow legs?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-10-03 02:38:32

Island Girl

Wow great job guys and gals! I am so not ready to comment on which ones you should keep, I have too much more to learn at this point. I think they are all beauties (see I'm no help to you :P) but I am highly impressed with the effort you are making to ensure the best choice  :thumbs:

XOX Monika

#4 2011-10-03 02:44:54

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

I think One is the best but it is hard to say between two and three twho has white legs but better color abd three has worse color but yellow legs> I think you should keep one.

Last edited by JaerhonChanteclerEuskies (2011-10-03 02:47:35)

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#5 2011-10-03 03:50:16

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Well done all, great photos, feel liek we were there, except for the biting cold.....

Wow that's a lot of yellow legs Lisa! Colour on 1 & 2 is nice.  2 even has barred bloomers!  I would say keep 2 over 3 as there are so many dark roos around and not too many lighter, but I'd probably just keep all 3 as they are all friendly :love:  I prefer 2 over 3 but I'd keep 3 as an extra spare, just in case.  Are the 3 all about the same weight?

#6 2011-10-03 12:46:26

Lisa

Good morning!

The top three candidates are all about the same weight. Roo 2 is a bit longer through the neck. When I mentioned to Doug that I wanted to keep three roosters from this batch, and then 2 from the next one, he got a bit balky (we are rooster heavy around here, and don't even have a barn yet!). So I may only be able to keep 2. Please keep opinions coming in!! :chook:

The problem is matching up with pullets. I only had two from the same hatch (Curly's daughters). Both have good size and shape, both are friendly. Pullet 1 is lighter, has white legs, and a comb that seems scrawny at the back and is kind of drifting off the skull (flopping a bit). Pullet 2 is more red/grey, has yellow legs, comb is fine. (I'll try and get some pics up later)

This is why I've hatched out some more chicks at this silly late date! They are Jim's kids, 4 weeks old now, and beginning to look identifiable. I think there are a few good hens in there (seems to be more hens than roosters at this point, thank you Chicken Goddess!), but the leg colour seems a lot less stable (some greens and willows). My thought was to tell my older roosters to wait, and put them with the new pullets when they grow up. Then see what kind of new roos I've got, and put them with the two older hens.

Last issue - what do I do with the lower level candidates? Do I put 'em all in the freezer, or try to re-home some? and which ones???

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#7 2011-10-03 13:33:36

gubi
Website

I would eat 4-7 and wait to decide with 2 and 3 until you see what kind of cockerels you get on the second batch.  They do taste delicious.  You could always try to re home #2 or#3 to a place where you could possibly get him back if you needed to.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2011-10-03 14:40:27

Susan
Administrator

I like 1 to 3 the best as well. Is it just the way he's standing, or does 2 have a crooked middle toe? I wonder if Roo 5 could be used to eventually get Zillaria if paired with really light hens. Same question about his toes though. I'd keep 1, then 3, then 2 and possibly 5. It never hurts to rehome a few of the "runner ups" just in case something happens. BTW I'd keep all 3 in the last pic- they look to have great temperaments, nice colours. And no side sprigs!! :) way to go guys!

#9 2011-10-04 00:54:35

Lisa

Thanks Susan! I think the roosters that lay claim to the hens in the last picture figure they are all keepers too!!=D

Nope, no crooked toes in this bunch at all - just the way they were standing/perching.

#10 2011-10-04 02:53:51

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hah! Love it!  We think they keepers too! 

We haven't had a single bent toe-er yet any year.  I was inspecting everyone today and we are good again.  I feel like I need to check for duck feet, not that I've seen any here in the parents, but though I saw one somewhere west of here.

I agree with Stefan.  Keep the 3 for now and if either of the next 2 are better, keep 4 total?  I'd make an effort to find homes for any real friendlies that are not breeders, you can try the others too, but the nice ones deserve a more of an effort or chance IMO.  Any others may be best eaten. 

I figure we will continue to make more of these dudes year after year and I have resigned myself to eating our grey and white boys when they get big enough.  Luckily they are not super friendly thanks to my antisocial lavender Ameraucana Mammas.  If we don't eat them, I won't be able to make more!  I will post some pics I took of my feathered in babies in their thread!

Adverts

Board footer