Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-06-11 11:28:22

annroberts54

New EO momma from mid south Tennessee

Howdy,

My name is Ann and I am a consummate chicken collector.  After trying out 6 other breeds I am now the proud parent to 6 EO chicks.  I purchased them from Worth It Farms in northern Georgia.  These babies are really fun compared to all the others I have had.  I can actually reach in and pick up one of the EO out of the brooder.  They are still a bit skitterish but nothing compared to all my other experiences.  And I have to be careful or the babies will fly out of the top of the brooder.  The top has to be on good all the time. They also throw their food around a lot more than I am used to.  I just started putting them out in a cage on the grass and they love it, love it, love it.  I am hoping that I have it right, and that I have 5 pullets and 1 Roo.  They say you can tell starting at about 3 weeks and we are just there.  If the numbers are right, then no one has to go into the soup pot!!  I am anxious to see how they do with bugs.  Our other chickens have their likes and dislikes leaving many bugs untouched by chicken beaks.  I have to hand pick Japanese Beetles and feed them to my chickens to keep the numbers in check and the damage to a minimum.  I am hoping these new guys will help with that task. 

My only issue right now is that my big, sturdy coop really should only have 12 chickens, max.  And I was at that before the purchase of the OE.  I have a smaller chicken tractor that I plan on using soon for the new guys.  But I just am not trusting it long term.  So I have to decide.  Do I start culling?  Or build another permanent structure?  Or just crowd them all in, knowing they only sleep there.  Free ranging the rest of the time.  I expect to lose a few this summer to predation, as I have lost 2 every year no matter what I do.  :huh:

2013-06-11 11:28:22

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-06-11 11:43:12

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: New EO momma from mid south Tennessee

:welcome: Anna! It's no surprise that EOs are winning your favor, they are quite different than most other breeds.

Not sure what to suggest about your chicken numbers being too high, I think almost every one of us is in the same situation so our advice might be a bit bias :oops: up here in :Canada: we have winter to keep our chicken numbers in check :snowman: I'd definately give your little 3 week old EOs some time so you are sure on the sex, I find around 6 to 7 weeks i can be pretty sure on sex biased on a the comb development in the little cockerels.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2013-06-11 12:13:07

Flat Rock Farm

Hello Ann and and big :welcome: from :Canada:  So glad to hear you are enjoying the EO babies, just wait until they mature :love:

Ah yes they chicken numbers getting to high, that's always a problem.  Hope you are able to come up with a solution for all your birds.  I have just recently done a over view of my chickens and what a hard decision as to who stays and who goes :sad:

Enjoy the forum!!!  :EO:

#4 2013-06-11 12:38:06

gubi
Website

:welcome: :EO: How big is your coop?  If they are only in it for the night and get to free range all day they don't need a lot of room.  AS PG says here in Canada we have to downsize our flock for winter every year, which helps us keep our chicken numbers in check!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2013-06-11 12:52:25

Susan
Administrator

Welcome Ann! Great to see another lover of EOs! I think you will enjoy your time here :)

#6 2013-06-11 13:16:05

Maggiesdad

:welcome: and :congrats:

:excited: :US:

#7 2013-06-11 14:46:32

Lisa

:welcome: Ann!

Glad to meet another convert! :EO:

My vote always goes to building another structure! Did you know that if you gut an old camper, it makes a great chicken coop? Sorry, I'm known to be an enabler! =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#8 2013-06-11 18:17:01

annroberts54

My coop is 4 ft by 6 ft by 4 ft tall.  It has a double row of roosting bars but many of the chickens sleep in the nest boxes.  When I look in now, with the 12 older chickens, none seem crowded, except by choice.  Meaning they like to nestle together by breed.   They rarely are in the coop unless it is night or if they are laying eggs.  Since my coop is elevated, they get under the coop if the weather is bad.  My only concern is, that if I am even a minute late letting them out in the morning they sound like they are squabbling a bit when I get there.  Also as they go in at night I hear them jockeying for position a bit.  I just worry that adding 6 more might tip the scales. 

SO I think I will use our old chicken tractor for the time being and see how it all goes.  I really don't want to build another coop.  Although there is a very nice VW van for sale on the highway into town.  Wonder if it is "chicken coop" price?  Bet not;)

#9 2013-06-11 23:48:36

pops coops
Website

:welcome: from pops coops, you will be very happy with the EOs,  :EO:

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#10 2013-06-12 17:22:54

NaturesPace
Website

:welcome: sounds like you will be building another coop. ;)

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

Adverts

Board footer