Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-05-23 23:25:03

poplar girl
Administrator

I have myself a broody EO

This is the first time I have had an EO go broody. It is one of my BHR line girls who is about a year old. I would love to let her set but it's now passed my self imposed hatching cut-off date. She is very well mannered, let's me reach under her with no aggressive behavior. Just thought I'd share.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-05-23 23:25:03

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-05-24 00:25:29

picis peeps

Re: I have myself a broody EO

Thats great news for you PG, so looking forward to that happening here.  We have an old black hen (make and model unknown) who goes broody twice a year but I darent put my hand under her!!!

#3 2013-05-24 01:24:53

gubi
Website

might as well let her hatch some ;) I have never had a broodie EO yet either.  One of my blue silkies hatched 4 cute little silkie chicks yesterday and today.  We also have a broody call duck that should hatch soon. It has however turn cold again in Ontario!  We went from a very humid 28 with a humidex in the mid 30 the last few days to a 2 with a windchill of -4 this coming night!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2013-05-24 01:25:29

Flat Rock Farm

:excited: :thumbsup:.   Going on three years with EO's and I have not had one good broody.....yet.

#5 2013-05-24 01:43:43

Susan
Administrator

Welcome to the club PG! My broody EOs have always been good about letting you handle eggs and babies. I have only let Fiona hatch a clutch once but she was an awesome mom :)

#6 2013-05-24 02:37:30

Maggiesdad

One of my pullets from last summer is setting... she's in her second week. :chook: :applause:

#7 2013-06-07 18:22:49

Little Boy Blue
Website

I hatched EO's under a broody Marans this spring.  Since everyone markets the EO as a homestead breed I was guessing that they would go broody and was planning on only keeping EO's that we hen raised.  I had two hens go broody before my cut off date for hatching (a Black Copper Marans and a Mixed Breed).  The 2nd one would stay on the eggs after we moved her to the broody Barn so we just got one hatch of EO's to grow out.  We had four hens go brood the week after our stop hatching day (no eo's though).  I think that the hens have a different idea about when the ideal hatch times are than we do.  I want all the pullets laying in the late fall so I have winter eggs.  The hens wait untill it warms up and the days are long.  I guess they prefere not have to have their dughters go to work untill a they are a little oder favoring the laying to begin at the beginning of the natural laying cyucle in the Spring.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2013-06-07 19:44:55)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#8 2013-06-08 11:07:59

choctawgal
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

One of my pullets from last summer is setting... she's in her second week. :chook: :applause:

LOL... Two of my three ladies from last summer are setting too; the Marraduna and the ruddy red one.  The Marraduna is in her 2nd week and Glorria, the red, is in her 3rd week. 

Wouldn't you know it would be the Recessive White hen who'd be laying eggs!  AUGH! :stomp:  At least Gregory Peck, the Marraduna roo, is asserting himself as dominant man, and won't even let "Vanilla Ice," the RW rooster, look sideways at the ladies!  So the chicks I'm getting have beautiful coloring.   I've been ruffling the setters' feathers and giving them a little shove out of the nestbox and coop for water and food... but really its to hopefully inconvenience them enough they give up and go back to laying. :please:

I have a feeling that Vanilla Ice and his companion RW hen may need to find a new home.  I absolutely LOVE them both, but Gregory is constantly chasing the poor guy.... and just as often grabbing him by the comb, leaving nasty bites.  I know that with just three hens, this power struggle only intensifies.

Anyone interested in a Recessive White project pair?  They are both super friendly and easy going, loving birds that I HATE to see go.... but hate seeing Ice being beaten up even more. 

Contact me as "Jenn Nashoba" on Facebook
Or Email me through: mamacluck-at-mail-dot-com.  (mail not gmail)

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

Adverts

Board footer