Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-05-03 18:38:44

Amblecroft
Website

colour genetics

While I was out today I ran into a vet that has a great interest in genetics and colour genetics in horses.  Anyway, our conversation was quite interesting and I was talking about our chickens and inbreeding and colour, etc. etc.  What he did mention was that with horses he's known that one can go back 27 generations to reference a genetic throwback of colour. 

When we think about the thousands and thousands and millions of genes involved in breeding there are still surprises to be had despite what we may think is available in a limited gene pool.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

2013-05-03 18:38:44

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-05-04 02:38:28

Lisa

Re: colour genetics

Nifty! That means we may find yet MORE colour variations in our EO's??? :lol:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#3 2013-05-04 12:05:40

poplar girl
Administrator

I think I may have some colors that I've never seen in EOs so far this year. Some of my pullets appear to have white chests although on top they are colored. There are about three like that at 8 weeks. Not sure how much they will still change.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2013-05-04 18:26:07

mikencarol

.....PG........I think there is something in the water.  I too am getting lighter colored chicks.  I am crossing GFF X Skyline.......and the colors are 'different'.  I can totally believe what that vet said about horse genetics going back 27 generations.  We used to raise registered Paints and had to have everything DNA tested. I don't think we have scratched the surface of all the genes in these birds yet.....just hope I can keep up with the learning curve!!!!!!:EO:                                   Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#5 2013-05-05 12:35:50

Maggiesdad

How the heck can you paint a barn when the paint changes color every season?!!! :duh:

Oh well, if the meat is there, and tastes good, and the hens are friendly and lay like gangbusters, what more could a feller ask for!

#6 2013-05-05 19:29:48

mikencarol

......  :thumbs:     TRUE......If they are plucked or skinned.................WHO CARES.  Glad you all had a great meet up.  Wish I could have made it.  Only a couple hundred birds and 300 incubating eggs kept me from it.........maybe when I don't have so many birds.  OH WAIT.................I'll probably be dead then.....  :funny:................Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

Adverts

Board footer