Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-04-28 23:43:07

poplar girl
Administrator

My coops are bursting at the seams!

I spent all weekend cleaning coops, upsizing leg bands, feeding, watering and absolutely loved spending time with my birds.

Here are a few pictures.

Killer my mean but beautiful big 6 week old cockerel and a few in the background from the first 20 EOs to hatch this year. Crooked toe seems to be an issue just staring to develop in a few unfortunately :sad:
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/b56dd41495bcdf383f2af232a191afba.jpg

Two photos of the next oldest at three weeks, around 45 EO chicks in this batch. A few strange colored ones in the mix but also quite a few that I think have some really good potential.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/76cce820f18d5e50ba1109f733958549.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/ff6d39d0974a25895f59d14efb403f17.jpg

And the first to hatch of the ten eggs due today. M&K, Elevator and his favorite hen are parents of two so far :)
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/6ee7cabe6b4aee5c71040d0e58b6dffc.jpg

I have one more group of about 2 dozen eggs due next weekend and then that's it for EOs this year. Hoping to break or at least come close to the 100 mark with EO chicks though =D

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-04-28 23:43:07

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-04-28 23:48:36

pops coops
Website

Re: My coops are bursting at the seams!

Good looking chicks PG, I have cleaned 2 coops 2 more to go and they NEED to be done

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#3 2013-04-28 23:57:18

gubi
Website

looking good so far.  And in a strange twist here at my farm I have discovered that at least one of my Spitzoiloa cockerel has crooked toes! I was sure the crosses had good toes at hatch.  Those Spitzoiloas cockerels are almost bigger then the pure EO's from the same hatch.  They are like EO's in disguise as some one said before.  They have the temperament and friendliness of the EO's and now the toes too?
I saw a massive Gorria rooster today at the F&F.  There was a few EO's there, they are beginning to spread around here in Ontario.  If you reed the EO thread on BYC, it appears that there is some new blood in the US now too.  They look great too!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2013-04-29 00:50:06

Susan
Administrator

Very cute PG! Love the one of them all lined up at the feeder.

#5 2013-04-29 00:53:50

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan wrote:

Very cute PG! Love the one of them all lined up at the feeder.

You'd think I tryed to starve them :Crazy: :chook:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2013-04-29 01:01:31

Lisa

Gubi - I brought home that rooster! Thanks Kathy!! Will be posting about him soon - he has yellow legs, a clavell comb and a fair amount of black on him. But is he ever going to throw hunky sons (if he doesn't squash the girls). My other gorria roo has a better (clean) comb and better colouring (less black) - but is about 1/3 less the size!

PG - I covet the pullet on the far left of your first pic!!! ;)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#7 2013-04-29 01:09:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Lisa wrote:

PG - I covet the pullet on the far left of your first pic!!! ;)

She does appear to be one of the keepers Lisa, here's hoping :thumbs: Super friendly little girl, she had a touch of wry neck when she hatched. I understand that to be a vitamin E deficiency but need to do some further research and see how she turns out before I decide if she's breeding material.

#8 2013-04-29 01:26:22

Susan
Administrator

Lol! They do love their food!

#9 2013-04-29 11:59:26

gubi
Website

PG I have a cockerel here with wry neck too.  He seems to be growing out of it too but he still twists his neck funny when he looks up at me.  Interesting that some of these issues are showing up more this year.  It's almost as if we were at that point they talk about where you just have to breed through it?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2013-04-29 12:52:38

hollowridge

Popular Girl,

I see that you put your eggs in an egg tray to hatch, in that last picture, can you tell me more? Our concern when we hatched ours was that the born chicks were knocking the unborn eggs all over the place.  If they were piped at the top that then sometimes got turned to bottom or side. Plus we were concerned about their legs and feet issues.   We were taking our chicks out in stages of birth and it caused some problems.  We were looking for a solution to this problem so is that the purpose of the tray?  Or should we even be concerned with this?  :huh:

Anyone else's imput we would love to hear.  Thanks. 

Oh and love the chick pictures helps us with looking at ours. :pics:

:thanks:

#11 2013-04-29 19:24:25

Micah and Kiah

I'll tell Elevator and his wife the good news, babies in Alberta!  :excited:   Please send more photos and a final tally.  :please:  :pics:   I need to send you more eggs once Elevator has decided to play the field.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer