Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-25 23:25:40

Island Girl

My chicks are holey!

=D  I took them to church today, what did you think I meant!!  :whistle:   The wee little kids were  learning about all the different things God has created so I offered to bring in some of my new Euskal Oilia chicks for them to enjoy. My heart just melted when one little boy (3ish yrs old) shyly asked if he could hold one and then he gently lifted it to his cheek and rubbed its softness on his skin. He was in heaven (no pun intended) and the chick of course loved it. These are the friendliest chicks I have ever had bar none!! I told the kids a little bit about baby chicks and then had to move on because the youth group found our there were chicks and they came for them. BTW the best way to get the kids to give up their little ball of fluff was to tell the kids that the chicks were now ready to have a nap but that they need to go back into the box and have a little poop first. Worked like a charm just make sure there is a good child/adult ratio for the hand off!! :P I hope that I have done my part in spreading  the  'I love chickens!' seed to another generation.

XOX Monika

FYI   I posted this on ACE and am also about to post it on WCPS, my little way of spreading the word!

2011-09-25 23:25:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-26 00:32:10

gubi
Website

Re: My chicks are holey!

Island Girl wrote:

BTW the best way to get the kids to give up their little ball of fluff was to tell the kids that the chicks were now ready to have a nap but that they need to go back into the box and have a little poop first. Worked like a charm just make sure there is a good child/adult ratio for the hand off!!

I might have to use that line next spring when our kids bring friends over!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-09-26 00:39:56

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:thumbs: That is great!  I am glad the chicks behaved, the kids loved them and they will like chickens in the future!  :cheer:

#4 2011-09-26 03:10:44

poplar girl
Administrator

Great you could share IG. Not every child has a chance to see and touch new chicks. Some of my happiest childhood memories are of hours in the coop with the chicks. My sister stopped eating eggs and chicken for about 5 years after mind you...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-09-26 10:39:19

Flat Rock Farm

That's neat IG, your right spread the word of these wonderful birds! Also I agree get them starting to like chickens that's when I fell in love with them.  I remember my older siste'sr class hatched chicks and she brought one home without asking my Mum.  Well she could not very well say no after she brought it home as we all fell in love with it.  Used to follow our wiener dog around like it was her Momma, until it was old enough and turned out to be a rooster.  Then we had to send it to the farm. :(

#6 2011-09-28 20:36:23

Amblecroft
Website

:EO:

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

Adverts

Board footer