Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-04-11 06:13:15

Island Girl

Unhatched eggs **Very Graphic**

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/unhatchedeggs_zps198a93f8.jpg

Both of these embryos have a foot hooked over their head which did not allow them to hatch. The chick on the right also has a major crossed beak that I could even see when I candled it before I opened it. I wonder if the beak got damaged (crossed) by the chick trying to pip as it was in the air sack or if it was there to begin with. Somehow it makes me feel better that there was not anything I could have done to change this outcome.

XOX Monika

2013-04-11 06:13:15

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-04-11 11:45:56

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Re: Unhatched eggs **Very Graphic**

Am I wrong, do not all of the chicks end up with a leg/foot over the head just prior to hatching?  I think that's the way it is when there isn't any more room in the egg.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#3 2013-04-11 12:40:54

Susan
Administrator

I am thinking they died because of genetic issues as in malformation. How far along we're they? Looks like major leg and foot problems as well as the beaks. Probably internal problems as well.

#4 2013-04-11 14:03:31

pops coops
Website

Can I ask what breed, and the feet over the head is normal, they grow so much in the shell.

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#5 2013-04-11 15:49:48

Island Girl

Very interesting, I thought the foot was suppose to be under the head, must google some embryo pictures. They were full term Susan, one had its beak in the air sack. Pops they are a mix of Porcelain Booted Bantam roos over Mille Fleur d'Uccle hens.

XOX Monika

#6 2013-04-11 16:25:49

Island Girl

http://keep-hens-raise-chickens.com/wp- … 97x300.gif

It looks like you guys are right, not sure why I thought the feet were under the head. Seems counter productive for the feet to be over the head, but then I didn't design this and the designer does know what he is doing, LOL!! Susan you mention that you see major foot and leg problems, can you tell me what you are seeing please?

XOX Monika

#7 2013-04-11 16:56:14

Susan
Administrator

Hee hee sorry! I have to stop commenting on pics when I view them on my phone! Nevermind :chairhide:

#8 2013-04-11 22:57:58

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

I am thinking they died because of genetic issues as in malformation. How far along we're they? Looks like major leg and foot problems as well as the beaks. Probably internal problems as well.

:thumbs:
I agree. I think there were development problems. As much as it sucks I think your better off then if they had hatched and were deformed.

Adverts

Board footer